  1. Guest

    "The very best computer that we've ever built."

    , Jun 11, 2012

  2. Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > "The very best computer that we've ever built."

    Until the next update anyway.

    The new 15" Retina MacBook Pro is basically a replacement for the 17"
    MacBook Pro, i.e. expensive. The Retina display will filter down to the
    other MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models at some stage (likely the next
    update).

    I'm a bit surprised that the 13" MacBook Pro is reportedly using a faster
    CPU than the 15" MacBook Pro (unless that's a reporters typo). Mind you,
    releasing all this updated hardware at the Developers Confernece is a
    surprise (the phrase "under new management" springs to mind).

    No new iMacs though and the whiners will continue on about the Mac Pro not
    really being updated.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Jun 11, 2012

  3. Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    In article
    <>,
    (Helpful Harry) wrote:

    > I'm a bit surprised that the 13" MacBook Pro is reportedly using a faster
    > CPU than the 15" MacBook Pro (unless that's a reporters typo).

    13" 2.5 GHz dual core i5 or 2.9 GHz dual core i7
    15" 2.3 GHz quad core i7 or 2.6 GHz quad core i7

    It's not all about the speed of the processor.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2012
  4. David Empson Guest

    Helpful Harry <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "The very best computer that we've ever built."

    > Until the next update anyway.
    >
    > The new 15" Retina MacBook Pro is basically a replacement for the 17"
    > MacBook Pro, i.e. expensive. The Retina display will filter down to the
    > other MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models at some stage (likely the next
    > update).

    Retina display has significantly higher power consumption, so needs a
    bigger battery to compensate, unless Apple was willing to sacrifice
    battery operating time.

    The 11" Air, 13" Air, 13" Pro and old 15" Pro bodies don't have enough
    room for a bigger battery, so can't have retina display.

    The new 15" Pro body saved enough space by eliminating the optical
    drive, 2.5" drive bay, socketed RAM and some ports that it could be made
    thinner and still have more space for the battery.

    The pattern I'd expect to see is that in next year's major update (April
    to July 2013, after Intel releases the Haswell processors), the
    old-style 13" and 15" Pro models will be discontinued. A thinner 13" Pro
    model with retina display and SSD, and possibly a 15" Air to fill the
    price gap below the 15" Pro. The 15" Pro should get somewhat cheaper as
    SSD prices will have dropped by then.

    The main question is timing, and the ongoing popularity of the old-style
    13" and 15" Pro models. If sales of those models plummet in favour of
    the 13" Air and retina 15" Pro, Apple will have the perfect excuse to
    elminate the old body style.

    The 13" Pro is the most popular model at present, but the improvements
    in today's 13" Air are likely to cut significantly into its sales.
    Particularly the addition of USB 3.0, which gives faster external
    storage without having to resort to expensive Thunderbolt storage.

    The introduction of a reasonably priced Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet
    adapter and promise of a Firewire one gives two fewer reasons to require
    a 13" Pro, but having those ports built in is more convenient for those
    who need them. An Air only has one Thunderbolt port so can't plug in
    both adapters at once (unless the Firewire one includes a daisy-chain
    Thunderbolt port), but there is still the option of the USB to 100Base-T
    Ethernet adapter if Ethernet speed is not critical.

    Interesting point I've just noted: the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet
    adapter only lists the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro with Retina Display
    as compatible models. Can't use this to add a second Gigabit Ethernet
    port to 2011 models in other series.

    > I'm a bit surprised that the 13" MacBook Pro is reportedly using a faster
    > CPU than the 15" MacBook Pro (unless that's a reporters typo).

    13" models are dual-core (and the cheaper one is a Core i5), 15" models
    are quad-core (all Core i7), and have bigger L3 caches.

    The processors operate at the stated speed with all cores active. If
    fewer cores are required, some can be powered down, allowing the
    remaining ones to operate faster (e.g. the 2.6 GHz quad core can get up
    to 3.6 GHz with a single core active, same for the 2.9 GHz dual core).
    This is Intel's "Turbo Boost" feature.

    For applications which are not able to be multi-threaded, the 13" models
    may work out slightly faster than the 15" models (assuming the OS is
    doing little else at the same time), but on average the extra cores in
    the 15" models will outweigh the higher clock speed of the 13", and
    Turbo Boost is likely to eliminate the remaining advantage.

    > Mind you, releasing all this updated hardware at the Developers Confernece
    > is a surprise (the phrase "under new management" springs to mind).
    >
    > No new iMacs though

    I expect they will be updated along with the Mac Mini in a few weeks,
    with architectural improvements along the lines of what happened with
    the 13" and 15" (non-retina) MacBook Pro, no external changes. There are
    likely to be supply constraints for new processors and Apple wants to
    maximise sales of their most popular models (notebooks).

    Given the timing, I would expect to see the new iMac and Mac Mini turn
    up with the introduction of Mountain Lion, and to officially require it.

    > and the whiners will continue on about the Mac Pro not really being updated.

    The minor Mac Pro update is puzzling, as anyone waiting for a new model
    isn't likely to buy this. The minor specifications bump would be a waste
    of time if Apple had a more significant update waiting for release in
    the next few weeks. Perhaps the Mac Pro will get a major update at the
    same time as the iMac and Mac Mini (i.e. all desktop models together).

    At least the Mac Pro is still being sold, meaning Apple isn't planning
    on discontinuing it in the near future.

    The 17" MacBook Pro has disappeared completely from store, which
    probably means it is gone for good (apart from refurbished old models).

    I'm pleased to see that the minor update to the Mac Pro was sufficient
    to trigger an international price recalculation: the New Zealand price
    on the entry level model dropped by NZ$500.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 12, 2012
  5. Davoud Guest

    Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    David Empson:
    > The 17" MacBook Pro has disappeared completely from store, which
    > probably means it is gone for good (apart from refurbished old models).

    Not the greatest disaster ever, I suppose, but I buy 17" MBP's because
    I like having the extra space to run graphics apps such as Final Cut
    Pro, Photoshop, Aperture, and astronomy apps. In astrophotography I run
    a sky-chart program (TheSkyX Pro) for telescope mount control, a CCD
    camera control program, a guide-camera program, and a robotic focuser
    control program simultaneously. I don't have to see them all at once,
    but I usually keep two showing on the display at once. I've got two
    fairly recent model 17" MBP's and an older MBP 15 (all qualified for
    Mountain Lion). I think I'll hang on to them for as long as they don't
    die and don't start to feel sluggish under the demands of more powerful
    versions of graphics apps that will inevitably come along.

    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

    Davoud, Jun 12, 2012
  6. Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    In article
    <>,
    (Helpful Harry) wrote:

    > I'm a bit surprised that the 13" MacBook Pro is reportedly using a faster
    > CPU than the 15" MacBook Pro (unless that's a reporters typo).

    It was misreported - I got a follow-up email apologising for the mistake
    and the corrected details.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Jun 12, 2012
  7. Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    In article <1klkljd.1pq73qx1po8kdzN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Helpful Harry <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > "The very best computer that we've ever built."

    > > Until the next update anyway.
    > >
    > > The new 15" Retina MacBook Pro is basically a replacement for the 17"
    > > MacBook Pro, i.e. expensive. The Retina display will filter down to the
    > > other MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models at some stage (likely the next
    > > update).

    > Retina display has significantly higher power consumption, so needs a
    > bigger battery to compensate, unless Apple was willing to sacrifice
    > battery operating time.
    >
    > The 11" Air, 13" Air, 13" Pro and old 15" Pro bodies don't have enough
    > room for a bigger battery, so can't have retina display.

    They can fit a retina display in an iPad, they can fit one into a MacBook,
    but you're probably right about the battery life.

    > > I'm a bit surprised that the 13" MacBook Pro is reportedly using a faster
    > > CPU than the 15" MacBook Pro (unless that's a reporters typo).

    > 13" models are dual-core (and the cheaper one is a Core i5), 15" models
    > are quad-core (all Core i7), and have bigger L3 caches.

    It was a typo in the email I received which they later corrected.

    > > Mind you, releasing all this updated hardware at the Developers Confernece
    > > is a surprise (the phrase "under new management" springs to mind).
    > >
    > > No new iMacs though

    > I expect they will be updated along with the Mac Mini in a few weeks,
    > with architectural improvements along the lines of what happened with
    > the 13" and 15" (non-retina) MacBook Pro, no external changes. There are
    > likely to be supply constraints for new processors and Apple wants to
    > maximise sales of their most popular models (notebooks).
    >
    > Given the timing, I would expect to see the new iMac and Mac Mini turn
    > up with the introduction of Mountain Lion, and to officially require it.
    >

    > > and the whiners will continue on about the Mac Pro not really being updated.

    > The minor Mac Pro update is puzzling, as anyone waiting for a new model
    > isn't likely to buy this. The minor specifications bump would be a waste
    > of time if Apple had a more significant update waiting for release in
    > the next few weeks. Perhaps the Mac Pro will get a major update at the
    > same time as the iMac and Mac Mini (i.e. all desktop models together).
    >
    > At least the Mac Pro is still being sold, meaning Apple isn't planning
    > on discontinuing it in the near future.

    The latest rumour is for new designs of iMac and Mac Pro in 2013, but that
    doesn't discount a "speed bump" update in the near future.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Jun 12, 2012
  8. David Empson Guest

    Helpful Harry <> wrote:

    > In article <1klkljd.1pq73qx1po8kdzN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > Helpful Harry <> wrote:

    > > > Until the next update anyway.
    > > >
    > > > The new 15" Retina MacBook Pro is basically a replacement for the 17"
    > > > MacBook Pro, i.e. expensive. The Retina display will filter down to the
    > > > other MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models at some stage (likely the next
    > > > update).

    > > Retina display has significantly higher power consumption, so needs a
    > > bigger battery to compensate, unless Apple was willing to sacrifice
    > > battery operating time.
    > >
    > > The 11" Air, 13" Air, 13" Pro and old 15" Pro bodies don't have enough
    > > room for a bigger battery, so can't have retina display.

    > They can fit a retina display in an iPad, they can fit one into a MacBook,
    > but you're probably right about the battery life.

    The battery got 70% bigger in the iPad 3, mainly because of the Retina
    Display. The iPad had scope to shrink components because of its minimal
    external connectors and other physical objects (like optical drives)
    which had a certain minimum size.

    The MacBook Air could probably get a retina display if it got a little
    thicker, but Apple would lose bragging rights, and the increased cost is
    likely to be an issue at present.

    > > > Mind you, releasing all this updated hardware at the Developers Confernece
    > > > is a surprise (the phrase "under new management" springs to mind).
    > > >
    > > > No new iMacs though

    > > I expect they will be updated along with the Mac Mini in a few weeks,
    > > with architectural improvements along the lines of what happened with
    > > the 13" and 15" (non-retina) MacBook Pro, no external changes. There are
    > > likely to be supply constraints for new processors and Apple wants to
    > > maximise sales of their most popular models (notebooks).
    > >
    > > Given the timing, I would expect to see the new iMac and Mac Mini turn
    > > up with the introduction of Mountain Lion, and to officially require it.
    > >

    > > > and the whiners will continue on about the Mac Pro not really being
    > > > updated.

    > > The minor Mac Pro update is puzzling, as anyone waiting for a new model
    > > isn't likely to buy this. The minor specifications bump would be a waste
    > > of time if Apple had a more significant update waiting for release in
    > > the next few weeks. Perhaps the Mac Pro will get a major update at the
    > > same time as the iMac and Mac Mini (i.e. all desktop models together).
    > >
    > > At least the Mac Pro is still being sold, meaning Apple isn't planning
    > > on discontinuing it in the near future.

    > The latest rumour is for new designs of iMac and Mac Pro in 2013, but that
    > doesn't discount a "speed bump" update in the near future.

    I saw that (quote from David Pogue). I'm inclined to think that "new
    designs" means "new external designs", and a 2013 major redesign makes
    sense.

    I still think an internal component upgrade for the iMac and Mac Mini is
    very likely in the near future (Ivy Bridge processors, USB 3.0, storage,
    GPU updated for the iMac) but no change to external connector
    placements.

    Given that rumour, the Mac Pro may not see a decent upgrade until the
    Ivy Bridge Xeon processors are released next year. That would fit better
    with a minor speed/memory bump upgrade now.

    The worry is if Apple were to use the evidence of lack of Mac Pro
    purchases as an excuse to discontinue it, when most people are waiting
    for a decent upgrade before buying. I'd suggest people in that situation
    send feedback to Apple so they are aware that the demand is out there,
    if Apple would just release a decent upgrade.

    It would be nice if Apple could relax their policy somewhat on future
    product plans, so that Mac Pro users can at least have some idea of what
    to expect in the medium term.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 12, 2012
  9. Ed Anson Guest

    On 6/11/12 5:20 PM, Helpful Harry wrote:
    > In article<>,
    > The new 15" Retina MacBook Pro is basically a replacement for the 17"
    > MacBook Pro, i.e. expensive.

    I agree with half of that. It's expensive.

    But, sadly, it's not a replacement for a 17" MBP, and now it looks like
    I can't get one any more. I was waiting for the new line, hoping for
    significant improvement so I could replace my aging 17" MBP. Although
    the new 15" has the pixel count (and more) it lacks the physical size.

    More important than that (to me) is its lack of an optical drive and
    FireWire port. Right now, I can't even find external devices or adapters
    to replace those missing features. They are crucial to me because I use
    both regularly. I still receive a lot of bits on DVDs, and occasionally
    need to burn one. And I have a significant investment in FireWire disk
    drives. I wish Apple had provided for an easier transition to the new
    technology.

    Personally, I'd rather have the super drive and FireWire port, even if
    they made the MBP a little less thin. After all, once I stash the
    necessary FireWire adapter and the external DVD drive (if I can find
    them!) into a bag, the new model is not so thin and light any more.

    There's a lot to like about the new MBP design, but so far I haven't
    found a way to work around the missing features. I'm open to suggestions.

    /Ed

    Ed Anson, Jun 12, 2012
  10. Davoud Guest

    Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    Helpful Harry:
    > > The new 15" Retina MacBook Pro is basically a replacement for the 17"
    > > MacBook Pro, i.e. expensive.

    Ed Anson:
    > I agree with half of that. It's expensive.
    >
    > But, sadly, it's not a replacement for a 17" MBP, and now it looks like
    > I can't get one any more. I was waiting for the new line, hoping for
    > significant improvement so I could replace my aging 17" MBP. Although
    > the new 15" has the pixel count (and more) it lacks the physical size.
    >
    > More important than that (to me) is its lack of an optical drive and
    > FireWire port. Right now, I can't even find external devices or adapters
    > to replace those missing features. They are crucial to me because I use
    > both regularly. I still receive a lot of bits on DVDs, and occasionally
    > need to burn one. And I have a significant investment in FireWire disk
    > drives. I wish Apple had provided for an easier transition to the new
    > technology.
    >
    > Personally, I'd rather have the super drive and FireWire port, even if
    > they made the MBP a little less thin. After all, once I stash the
    > necessary FireWire adapter and the external DVD drive (if I can find
    > them!) into a bag, the new model is not so thin and light any more.
    >
    > There's a lot to like about the new MBP design, but so far I haven't
    > found a way to work around the missing features. I'm open to suggestions.

    Bingo. Is it not so that there will be a Thunderbolt to FireWire
    adapter? Still, it's not the same as having a FireWire port. I
    absolutely cannot figure out why Apple is so stingy with ports.

    Luckily for me, I've got two fairly recent MBP 17's. I'm going to start
    treating them better so they will last longer!

    I look at a Dell--a bit thicker than my 17" MB Pro's, to be sure, and
    it's got half a dozen USB 3 ports, two FW 800 ports, interchangeable
    batteries, and I don't know what all. Ugly as hell, but functional.
    There ought to be a middle ground. It seems to me that Apple's
    legendary designers are ignoring the most important design rule of
    all--form follows function.

    Davoud, Jun 12, 2012
  11. Larry Gusaas Guest

    On 2012-06-11 10:45 PM Ed Anson wrote:
    > On 6/11/12 5:20 PM, Helpful Harry wrote:
    >> In article<>,
    >> The new 15" Retina MacBook Pro is basically a replacement for the 17"
    >> MacBook Pro, i.e. expensive.

    > I agree with half of that. It's expensive.
    >
    > But, sadly, it's not a replacement for a 17" MBP, and now it looks like I can't get one any
    > more. I was waiting for the new line, hoping for significant improvement so I could replace
    > my aging 17" MBP. Although the new 15" has the pixel count (and more) it lacks the physical
    > size.

    Get a Refurbished 17" MacBook Pro from the Apple Store

    > More important than that (to me) is its lack of an optical drive and FireWire port. Right
    > now, I can't even find external devices or adapters to replace those missing features. They
    > are crucial to me because I use both regularly. I still receive a lot of bits on DVDs, and
    > occasionally need to burn one. And I have a significant investment in FireWire disk drives. I
    > wish Apple had provided for an easier transition to the new technology.

    The Apple Store has a Apple USB SuperDrive for the new MacBook Pro. A Thunderbolt to FireWire
    adapter will be available in July.

    > Personally, I'd rather have the super drive and FireWire port, even if they made the MBP a
    > little less thin. After all, once I stash the necessary FireWire adapter and the external DVD
    > drive (if I can find them!) into a bag, the new model is not so thin and light any more.

    Only take them with you when they are needed. I would seldom need them except at home.

    > There's a lot to like about the new MBP design, but so far I haven't found a way to work
    > around the missing features. I'm open to suggestions.

    See above.

    --
    _________________________________

    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

    Larry Gusaas, Jun 12, 2012
  12. Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    In article <>,
    Ed Anson <> wrote:

    > More important than that (to me) is its lack of an optical drive and
    > FireWire port. Right now, I can't even find external devices or adapters
    > to replace those missing features.

    The Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor was announced today, for release real
    soon.

    And Apple's USB SuperDrive that was introduced for the MacBook Air works
    with the retina MacBook Pro. $79.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 12, 2012
  13. Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM,USB3, HDMI port

    David Empson wrote:
> [...]

    >>and the whiners will continue on about the Mac Pro not really being updated.

    > The minor Mac Pro update is puzzling, as anyone waiting for a new model
    > isn't likely to buy this. The minor specifications bump would be a waste
    > of time if Apple had a more significant update waiting for release in
    > the next few weeks. Perhaps the Mac Pro will get a major update at the
    > same time as the iMac and Mac Mini (i.e. all desktop models together).
    >
    > At least the Mac Pro is still being sold, meaning Apple isn't planning
    > on discontinuing it in the near future.
    >
    > The 17" MacBook Pro has disappeared completely from store, which
    > probably means it is gone for good (apart from refurbished old models).
    >
    > I'm pleased to see that the minor update to the Mac Pro was sufficient
    > to trigger an international price recalculation: the New Zealand price
    > on the entry level model dropped by NZ$500.

    Strangest thing (if I'm remembering right) is that while the new laptops
    went to Bluetooth 4 the Mac Pro is still at 2.1. I'd think this would
    have been an easy one to upgrade. Also, no Thunderbolt on the new Mac Pros.

    M. John Matlaw, Jun 12, 2012
  14. David Empson Guest

    M. John Matlaw <> wrote:

    > Strangest thing (if I'm remembering right) is that while the new laptops
    > went to Bluetooth 4 the Mac Pro is still at 2.1. I'd think this would
    > have been an easy one to upgrade. Also, no Thunderbolt on the new Mac Pros.

    That's because the "new" Mac Pro is exactly the same as the mid 2010
    model, apart from the RAM and CPU. Same logic board, hence same
    Bluetooth, USB and no Thunderbolt.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jun 12, 2012
  15. Tom Stiller Guest

    Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    In article <120620120112532221%>, Davoud <>
    wrote:

    > I look at a Dell--a bit thicker than my 17" MB Pro's, to be sure, and
    > it's got half a dozen USB 3 ports, two FW 800 ports, interchangeable
    > batteries, and I don't know what all. Ugly as hell, but functional.
    > There ought to be a middle ground. It seems to me that Apple's
    > legendary designers are ignoring the most important design rule of
    > all--form follows function.

    So the function of the Dell laptop is to swap batteries and become
    chained to a large number of FW and USB peripherals. Sort of
    masquerading as a battery powered desktop.

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Tom Stiller, Jun 12, 2012
  16. Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    David Empson <> wrote:

    > That's because the "new" Mac Pro is exactly the same as the mid 2010
    > model, apart from the RAM and CPU. Same logic board, hence same
    > Bluetooth, USB and no Thunderbolt.

    I understand omitting Thunderbolt on a desktop tower with expansion
    slots, a replaceable graphics card, and lots of ports; but not bumping
    the USB up to the current version that's on other new Macs seems to be a
    calculated insult to the Pro line and its users.

    Neill Massello, Jun 12, 2012
  17. John Young Guest

    Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    In article <1klktgu.3wkjj015dgc6kN%>,
    (Neill Massello) wrote:

    > David Empson <> wrote:
    >
    > > That's because the "new" Mac Pro is exactly the same as the mid 2010
    > > model, apart from the RAM and CPU. Same logic board, hence same
    > > Bluetooth, USB and no Thunderbolt.

    > I understand omitting Thunderbolt on a desktop tower with expansion
    > slots, a replaceable graphics card, and lots of ports; but not bumping
    > the USB up to the current version that's on other new Macs seems to be a
    > calculated insult to the Pro line and its users.

    Can't you use an expansion slot for USB 3? Seems as easy as adding a
    Thunderbolt card.

    John Young, Jun 12, 2012
  18. Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-06-12 10:11 , Tom Stiller wrote:
    > In article <120620120112532221%>, Davoud <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I look at a Dell--a bit thicker than my 17" MB Pro's, to be sure, and
    >> it's got half a dozen USB 3 ports, two FW 800 ports, interchangeable
    >> batteries, and I don't know what all. Ugly as hell, but functional.
    >> There ought to be a middle ground. It seems to me that Apple's
    >> legendary designers are ignoring the most important design rule of
    >> all--form follows function.

    > So the function of the Dell laptop is to swap batteries and become
    > chained to a large number of FW and USB peripherals. Sort of
    > masquerading as a battery powered desktop.

    On some field demo's I've been glad to have my tiny Dell with its
    Ethernet and USB ports all available to run several apps at once,
    control peripherals and network data back home at the same time.

    --
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -Samuel Clemens.

    Alan Browne, Jun 12, 2012
  19. Re: new 15-inch MBP = Retina Display 2880x1800, up to 16 GB RAM, USB3, HDMI port

    (Neill Massello) wrote:
    > David Empson <> wrote:
    > >
    > > That's because the "new" Mac Pro is exactly the same as the mid 2010
    > > model, apart from the RAM and CPU. Same logic board, hence same
    > > Bluetooth, USB and no Thunderbolt.

    > I understand omitting Thunderbolt on a desktop tower with expansion
    > slots, a replaceable graphics card, and lots of ports; but not bumping
    > the USB up to the current version that's on other new Macs seems to be a
    > calculated insult to the Pro line and its users.

    Reportedly someone sent an email to Apple and received a reply ...

    A MacRumors reader writes in to share an email he received from
    Apple CEO Tim Cook after he asked about the future of the Mac Pro:

    "Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as
    we're working on something really great for later next year."

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Jun 12, 2012
  20. nospam Guest

    Helpful Harry <> wrote:

    > > > That's because the "new" Mac Pro is exactly the same as the mid 2010
    > > > model, apart from the RAM and CPU. Same logic board, hence same
    > > > Bluetooth, USB and no Thunderbolt.

    > > I understand omitting Thunderbolt on a desktop tower with expansion
    > > slots, a replaceable graphics card, and lots of ports; but not bumping
    > > the USB up to the current version that's on other new Macs seems to be a
    > > calculated insult to the Pro line and its users.

    > Reportedly someone sent an email to Apple and received a reply ...
    >
    > A MacRumors reader writes in to share an email he received from
    > Apple CEO Tim Cook after he asked about the future of the Mac Pro:
    >
    > "Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as
    > we're working on something really great for later next year."

    so important, that it will have taken *three years* to update it.

    it's obvious where their priorities are, and it's *not* the mac pro
    customer.

    nospam, Jun 12, 2012