    try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?

    Thanks,

    Thomas

    Thomas G. Marshall, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Thomas G. Marshall

    joe_tide Guest

    For some reason they only have the feet on the back.

    The scratches are your decision. I'd call.

    You can also return it, but I'd call firt so I didn't have to pay shipping
    back to Dell.

    joe_tide, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <>
    wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$...

    > My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has medium-heavy
    > scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
    >
    > Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely surface,
    > lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was touching,
    > and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
    >
    > Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the round
    > little plastic feet were missing.
    >
    > 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
    > likely?????) What do you think?
    >
    > 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email dell, or
    > try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Thomas

    Call and exchange it. Period. There are only two "foot pads" on those
    machines. I recall that topic coming up back in the Dimension 4400-4500
    days, so that is normal.

    The scratches are unacceptable and suggest rough handling somewhere. Don't
    guess what that might've been. Have them ship you a replacement tower
    (only) and keep everything else if the external stuff is fine.

    Call customer service, I'd think. You could try e-mail, but just be aware
    you have 30 days from your INVOICE date to return it. Also, be sure that
    Dell picks up the shipping charge.

    Good luck.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 7, 2004
  4. "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message

    > "Thomas G. Marshall"

    <>
    > wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$...
    > >
    > > My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has

    medium-heavy
    > > scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
    > >
    > > Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely surface,
    > > lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was

    touching,
    > > and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
    > >
    > > Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the round
    > > little plastic feet were missing.
    > >
    > > 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
    > > likely?????) What do you think?
    > >
    > > 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email dell,

    or
    > > try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Thomas
    > >

    > Call and exchange it. Period. There are only two "foot pads" on those
    > machines. I recall that topic coming up back in the Dimension 4400-4500
    > days, so that is normal.

    But there are two little round holes for missing feet---it was /meant/ to
    have them I think. As if they one day said: we're going to cut costs and
    produce only half as many feet as needed, so put them in the back.

    > The scratches are unacceptable and suggest rough handling somewhere.

    Don't
    > guess what that might've been. Have them ship you a replacement tower
    > (only) and keep everything else if the external stuff is fine.

    {sigh}. Can I wait until the replacement one arrives before shipping this
    one out I wonder?

    > Call customer service, I'd think. You could try e-mail, but just be aware
    > you have 30 days from your INVOICE date to return it.

    Key point. Thanks!

    Thomas G. Marshall, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Thomas G. Marshall

    joe_tide Guest

    Tom,

    I have two 8300's. Feet in the back - no feet in the front. Holes for them,
    but they don't have them.

    If Stew says they don't come with them, you can take that to the bank.

    joe_tide, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Thomas G. Marshall

    veryweezy Guest

    hey what are stewpid? didn't you read the damn system spec?! did it SAY
    two feet?! huh well did it? all you whiners come here to complain about
    your missing feet. dell puts them in the same placing as their missing HD
    and floppy brackets, ie. their parts division so they can screw you a second
    time. now stop complaining about your missing feet and hobble along. this
    thread is proof that dell is selling crippled systems!

    veryweezy, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <>
    wrote in message news:ic0dc.1328$...

    > "S.Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Thomas G. Marshall"

    > <>
    > > wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$...
    > > >
    > > > My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has

    > medium-heavy
    > > > scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
    > > >
    > > > Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely

    surface,
    > > > lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was

    > touching,
    > > > and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
    > > >
    > > > Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the

    round
    > > > little plastic feet were missing.
    > > >
    > > > 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
    > > > likely?????) What do you think?
    > > >
    > > > 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email

    dell,
    > or
    > > > try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Thomas
    > > >

    > > Call and exchange it. Period. There are only two "foot pads" on those
    > > machines. I recall that topic coming up back in the Dimension 4400-4500
    > > days, so that is normal.

    > But there are two little round holes for missing feet---it was /meant/ to
    > have them I think. As if they one day said: we're going to cut costs and
    > produce only half as many feet as needed, so put them in the back.

    Exactly. They apparently did that at some point with the Dim4300 (the first
    Dimension to use the hinged case) early on. I've seen a rare few of those
    with all 4 pads, but most of them with just the two. I've not seen any of
    the newer models in that case with anything other than the two pads.

    > > The scratches are unacceptable and suggest rough handling somewhere.

    > Don't
    > > guess what that might've been. Have them ship you a replacement tower
    > > (only) and keep everything else if the external stuff is fine.

    > {sigh}. Can I wait until the replacement one arrives before shipping this
    > one out I wonder?

    Yep. Ask them to place an Airborne call tag in with the replacement system
    or mail the tag separately. That way, you open the new tower, verify it,
    then place the old one back in the box, put on the Airborne tag, call
    Airborne for pickup and you're done.

    You're not asking too much here.

    Keep us posted.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 8, 2004
  8. Every few years, the topic of feet comes up, and people argue about it like
    it's the Constitution.

    At any hardware store, you can find a wide selection of fashion forward feet
    that will look just lovely on a new Dell computer. For pennies.

    Rocky

    "joe_tide" <> wrote in message
    > Tom,
    >
    > I have two 8300's. Feet in the back - no feet in the front. Holes for

    them,
    > but they don't have them.
    >
    > If Stew says they don't come with them, you can take that to the bank.
    >
    > "Thomas G. Marshall"

    <>

    Rocket J. Squirrel, Apr 8, 2004
  9. veryweezy wrote:

    > hey what are stewpid?

    Pot? Kettle? Ring a bell?

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Apr 8, 2004
  10. Lawrence Glasser wrote:

    > veryweezy wrote:
    > >
    > > hey what are stewpid?

    > Pot? Kettle? Ring a bell?
    >
    > Larry

    Or did I miss the humor?

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Apr 8, 2004
  11. Thomas G. Marshall

    veryweezy Guest

    "Lawrence Glasser" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence Glasser wrote:
    > >
    > > veryweezy wrote:
    > > >
    > > > hey what are stewpid?

    > > Pot? Kettle? Ring a bell?
    > >
    > > Larry

    > Or did I miss the humor?
    >
    > Larry

    of course yew mist da humor! it was a tribute to my buddy stew. he is
    missing a bracket or two if you noe what i mean...

    veryweezy, Apr 8, 2004
  12. veryweezy wrote:

    > "Lawrence Glasser" <> wrote in message
    > > Lawrence Glasser wrote:

    > > > Pot? Kettle? Ring a bell?
    > > >
    > > > Larry

    > > Or did I miss the humor?
    > >
    > > Larry

    > of course yew mist da humor! it was a tribute to my buddy stew. he is
    > missing a bracket or two if you noe what i mean...

    <whooosh>

    Right over my head! <g>

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Apr 8, 2004
  13. Thomas G. Marshall

    S.Lewis Guest

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > Every few years, the topic of feet comes up, and people argue about it

    like
    > it's the Constitution.
    >
    > At any hardware store, you can find a wide selection of fashion forward

    feet
    > that will look just lovely on a new Dell computer. For pennies.
    >
    > Rocky

    I always thought it odd that they were removed. Chalked it up to cutting
    costs or maybe tower stability on carpets or something like that. You're
    right though, Rocky - pads that match the diameter can be found most
    anywhere (adhesive backed) made of various soft materials.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 8, 2004
  14. Thomas G. Marshall

    PC Medic Guest

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <>
    wrote in message news:VTUcc.9655$...

    > My brand new Dimension 8300 [from the business division] has medium-heavy
    > scratches on the left panel along the edge on the back.
    >
    > Like if someone place the system on its left side on a gravely surface,
    > lifted the front up 6 inches so that only the back left edge was touching,
    > and dragged it forward maybe a foot or 2.
    >
    > Also, when I looked underneath to see why it was wobly, two of the round
    > little plastic feet were missing.
    >
    > 1. How can I tell if I was shipped a refurb by mistake (is that even
    > likely?????) What do you think?
    >
    > 2. What is the best way to handle the situation: Call dell, email dell, or
    > try to "chat" with one online using that IM-esque interface they have?

    Kind of a no brainer if you ask me. If you bought a new car and it had a big
    long scratch down the side would you need to ask in a newsgroup what to
    do???

    Based on the scratches alone Dell should be called and a replacement sent.
    As for the feet, the 2 back is all it should have so no problem there.

    PC Medic, Apr 8, 2004