    issue when booting (this was fixed in the both betas).

    Andy
    , Mar 12, 2007

  2. <atodziat> wrote in message...
    > Does anyone know when there will be a new non-beta bios available
    > for the AB9 Quad GT?

    Real soon. They were apparently hoping to get it out the door before CeBit.
    Looks now like it'll be up shortly afterwards.

    > I gave up on the 2 betas that are circulating because they broke
    > the multiplier and downclocked my processor.

    Seems only a subset of people suffer this issue, and it tends to be on Vista
    rather than XP. As such it seems unclear at the moment how much of this is a
    BIOS problem and how much is an interaction of some sort with the power
    management functionality built into the OS.

    You may be able to fix it by altering your OS power options. Alternatively
    you can use RightMark Clock Utility to override the BIOS and restore the
    active CPU management features.

    In addition, have you installed a recent Intel Chipset Driver update?

    > I am hoping for a bios that doesn't change the multiplier to 6X
    > when you try to overclock and that also fixes the USB external
    > hard drive issue when booting (this was fixed in the both betas).

    As you say the USB device boot issue is fixed as of 11 beta 2. I made my own
    customised version of the beta 6 BIOS that has been tested by another Abit
    forum member and found to fix the "stuck multiplier" issue.

    I found the error in the beta BIOS fairly easy to trace so it is to be
    expected that Abit themselves will have little trouble addressing it prior
    to the full release of 11.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    Richard Hopkins, Mar 12, 2007

  3. John Lewis Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 03:54:12 -0000, "Richard Hopkins"
    <> wrote:

    ><atodziat> wrote in message...
    >> Does anyone know when there will be a new non-beta bios available
    >> for the AB9 Quad GT?

    >Real soon. They were apparently hoping to get it out the door before CeBit.
    >Looks now like it'll be up shortly afterwards.
    >
    >> I gave up on the 2 betas that are circulating because they broke
    >> the multiplier and downclocked my processor.

    >Seems only a subset of people suffer this issue, and it tends to be on Vista
    >rather than XP. As such it seems unclear at the moment how much of this is a
    >BIOS problem and how much is an interaction of some sort with the power
    >management functionality built into the OS.
    >
    >You may be able to fix it by altering your OS power options. Alternatively
    >you can use RightMark Clock Utility to override the BIOS and restore the
    >active CPU management features.
    >
    >In addition, have you installed a recent Intel Chipset Driver update?
    >
    >> I am hoping for a bios that doesn't change the multiplier to 6X
    >> when you try to overclock and that also fixes the USB external
    >> hard drive issue when booting (this was fixed in the both betas).

    >As you say the USB device boot issue is fixed as of 11 beta 2. I made my own
    >customised version of the beta 6 BIOS that has been tested by another Abit
    >forum member and found to fix the "stuck multiplier" issue.
    >
    >I found the error in the beta BIOS fairly easy to trace so it is to be
    >expected that Abit themselves will have little trouble addressing it prior
    >to the full release of 11.
    >--

    Richard,

    Abit obviously needs your talents in their Design and QC departments.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 12, 2007
  4. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >> I gave up on the 2 betas that are circulating because they broke
    >> the multiplier and downclocked my processor.

    >Seems only a subset of people suffer this issue, and it tends to be on Vista
    >rather than XP. As such it seems unclear at the moment how much of this is a
    >BIOS problem and how much is an interaction of some sort with the power
    >management functionality built into the OS.
    >
    >You may be able to fix it by altering your OS power options. Alternatively
    >you can use RightMark Clock Utility to override the BIOS and restore the
    >active CPU management features.

    I am running Vista. I read about the RM Clock utility and installed it
    but I couldn't change the multiplier. Maybe something else needed to
    be changed using the program but not the multiplier field directly?

    Have any idea what OS power options might need to be changed? In the
    bios or in Windows?

    I haven't installed an Intel chipset driver update. Should I? If so,
    which one?

    Thanks.

    >In addition, have you installed a recent Intel Chipset Driver update?
    >
    >> I am hoping for a bios that doesn't change the multiplier to 6X
    >> when you try to overclock and that also fixes the USB external
    >> hard drive issue when booting (this was fixed in the both betas).

    >As you say the USB device boot issue is fixed as of 11 beta 2. I made my own
    >customised version of the beta 6 BIOS that has been tested by another Abit
    >forum member and found to fix the "stuck multiplier" issue.
    >
    >I found the error in the beta BIOS fairly easy to trace so it is to be
    >expected that Abit themselves will have little trouble addressing it prior
    >to the full release of 11.
    , Mar 12, 2007
  5. <> wrote in message
    > I am running Vista. I read about the RM Clock utility and installed it
    > but I couldn't change the multiplier.

    You don't directly change the multiplier, you force RMClock to take over
    administration of the Power Management features so it can ramp the
    multiplier up and down according to load.

    > Maybe something else needed to be changed using the program but not
    > the multiplier field directly?

    Yeah. Load up RMClock and have a go with the following settings:

    On the Advanced CPU Settings/Processor page, tick everything, including the
    "Apply these settings at startup" option.

    In the Profiles page, select Performance On Demand as the AC Power Profile.

    Expand the Profiles tree, and click on Performance On Demand. Then tick the
    "Use P-State Transitions" option, and tick all four of the multiplier
    options underneath. Also tick the "Override Windows power scheme with the
    settings above" box.

    In the Management section, uncheck (or leave unchecked) the "OS load-based
    mangement" and "Run HLT command when OS is idle", and check the "Run app
    automatically when Windows Starts" option.

    Apply all of these, restart your system and see what happens.

    > Have any idea what OS power options might need to be changed?
    > In the bios or in Windows?

    Not in Windows no as I run XP, and Vista's power schemes are somewhat
    different in nomenclature. If you configure RMClock as above it will take
    over management of the CPU from the OS and give you much more control
    anyway - hopefully to the extent of restoring the throttle activity.

    > I haven't installed an Intel chipset driver update. Should I? If so,
    > which one?

    Hell yes. Do so, restart the PC and check its behaviour prior to trying
    RMClock:
    http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download/driver2/intel_inf/v8111010.zip

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 12, 2007
  6. Guest

    Thanks. I updated the Intel drivers but may sit tight until Abit
    releases a new bios with the USB and multiplier issues both fixed,
    since it may be soon.

    I have a E6600 running at 3.0 Ghz and it is very stable with a CPU
    temp. of 51C while running the prime 95 torture test. I haven't tried
    to take it higher at this point, but I am happy with the current
    performance.

    It's annoying that Abit would release a bios that doesn't let you boot
    up with any USB storage devices attached ( memory sticks and hard
    drives ).