    and how good they are for over clocking, cos if they're any good I wouldn't
    mind using them in a couple of low budget pc's. So far I can't find any
    benchmarks...

    Strutter, Jan 11, 2008

  2. Strutter

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Jan 12, 2008

  3. Strutter

    Augustus Guest

    "Strutter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey does anyone have one of these yet? I'm interested in how they perform
    > and how good they are for over clocking, cos if they're any good I
    > wouldn't mind using them in a couple of low budget pc's. So far I can't
    > find any benchmarks...

    Odd are it'll run pretty much the same as a San Diego 3700+ 1Mb (2.2Ghz)
    unit but generate less heat and use less power. May o/c higher. Why you'd
    want a single core now when an dual core AM2 socket X2 4000+ Brisbane costs
    the same or less ($50) and will o/c as much or more is beyond me.

    Augustus, Jan 12, 2008
  4. Strutter wrote:

    > Hey does anyone have one of these yet? I'm interested in how they
    > perform and how good they are for over clocking, cos if they're any good
    > I wouldn't mind using them in a couple of low budget pc's. So far I
    > can't find any benchmarks...

    The 1600 and 1620 go VERY well.
    Expect 3.3~3.8GHz with a minimal voltage bump.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169633

    Greg Campbell, Jan 12, 2008
  5. Strutter

    Augustus Guest

    "Greg Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > Strutter wrote:
    >
    >> Hey does anyone have one of these yet? I'm interested in how they perform
    >> and how good they are for over clocking, cos if they're any good I
    >> wouldn't mind using them in a couple of low budget pc's. So far I can't
    >> find any benchmarks...

    > The 1600 and 1620 go VERY well.
    > Expect 3.3~3.8GHz with a minimal voltage bump.
    >
    > http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169633

    That thread is showing a 30C temp for the CPU at 1.44V / 3300Mhz and 26C for
    the m/b chipset. It's being run on a top of the line board with a a custom
    watercooling rig with triple internal radiators. It errored at just over
    3.4Ghz. Which is exactly what I'd expect any decent AMD single or dual core
    to do given the same setup. An X2 is still afar better budget choice.

    Augustus, Jan 12, 2008
  6. Augustus wrote:

    > "Greg Campbell" wrote in message

    >> Strutter wrote:

    >>> Hey does anyone have one of these yet? I'm interested in how they perform
    >>> and how good they are for over clocking, cos if they're any good I
    >>> wouldn't mind using them in a couple of low budget pc's. So far I can't
    >>> find any benchmarks...

    >> The 1600 and 1620 go VERY well.
    >> Expect 3.3~3.8GHz with a minimal voltage bump.

    >> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169633

    > That thread is showing a 30C temp for the CPU at 1.44V / 3300Mhz and 26C for
    > the m/b chipset. It's being run on a top of the line board with a a custom
    > watercooling rig with triple internal radiators. It errored at just over
    > 3.4Ghz. Which is exactly what I'd expect any decent AMD single or dual core
    > to do given the same setup. An X2 is still afar better budget choice.

    No. The same guy gets 3650 @1.47 and air.

    (What the hell.... Since it seems soooo fecking important to you, I'll
    say "you're right." Feel better? The OP asked about the LE-16xx, and
    all you can do is blather about how dumb we all are. Go soak your head.)

    FWIW, I bought one (LE-1620) for the larger cache, the ability to apply
    the entire thermal budget to a single core, and just for the sake of
    being different! It goes 3.1+ out of the box with stock voltage and the
    wimpy stock fan. Not too shabby. With a better (air) cooler and 1.45v,
    I'm up to 3.4 and a hair. A friend has a 3.1 ("That's all she's got,
    Captain!") Brisbane I can borrow; I hope to do some real-world
    comparisons between the two chips. The primary game I play makes little
    use of multi-core chips, so I expect close results and won't be
    surprised if the LE wins.

    For $50 I've had some fun and have wound up with a speedy chip.

    -Moo!

    Greg Campbell, Jan 12, 2008
  7. Strutter

    Strutter Guest

    > No. The same guy gets 3650 @1.47 and air.
    >
    > (What the hell.... Since it seems soooo fecking important to you, I'll say
    > "you're right." Feel better? The OP asked about the LE-16xx, and all you
    > can do is blather about how dumb we all are. Go soak your head.)
    >
    > FWIW, I bought one (LE-1620) for the larger cache, the ability to apply
    > the entire thermal budget to a single core, and just for the sake of being
    > different! It goes 3.1+ out of the box with stock voltage and the wimpy
    > stock fan. Not too shabby. With a better (air) cooler and 1.45v, I'm up
    > to 3.4 and a hair. A friend has a 3.1 ("That's all she's got, Captain!")
    > Brisbane I can borrow; I hope to do some real-world comparisons between
    > the two chips. The primary game I play makes little use of multi-core
    > chips, so I expect close results and won't be surprised if the LE wins.
    >
    > For $50 I've had some fun and have wound up with a speedy chip.
    >
    > -Moo!

    I checked out that forum and have since read another article from someone
    that got similar results.

    Considering most of todays games that people will be playing on a "low
    budget" system will not benefit from multi-core processors,
    I see the LE-**** series cpu's excellent value, especially with the OC
    possibilities!
    For $57 Australian, I doubt you'd find a processor to match the performance
    for cost, as you can barely find an outlet that still sells the single
    core Athlons 64 chips, especially not for this price range.

    Although the current crop of Brisbane cored cpus have some good potential,
    as I currently run an AM2 X2 4400+ (standard @ 2.3Ghz)
    running @2.78Ghz with the standard HSF & voltage. I've had it running @
    2.86Ghz but it was starting to heat up at full load, but with some decent
    water cooling, I'm sure it'd be good for a little over 3Ghz....I could
    always go buy a faster chip to start with like people say...but that
    wouldn't as much fun!

    Keep us updated on how you go OCing your chip, as I might have to buy one
    just for some OCing fun...

    Strutter, Jan 12, 2008