New battery or need to fix/reset the battery charge status?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, May 30, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hi!

    My client said his four years old MacBook Pro's old battery doesn't last
    long these days -- about 20 minutes and then shuts off. No warnings or
    anything. Even the status shows about 25% battery power left.

    Does this old MBP need to get a new battery or need to reset/fix the
    charge status? If it just needs a reset/fix, then what's the
    best/correct way to do that? Also, Mac OS X 10.5.8 has all the updates.
    If it needs a new battery, then what's the best place to get a new one
    in Los Angeles/L.A. or Orange County/O.C. area? From a local Apple store?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "... Our world is not an ant farm!" --Duncan MacLeod (Highlander Season
    3 Finale Part II)
    Ant, May 30, 2012

  2. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I forgot to mention that right before the last power loss, MBP's
    wireless lost its password to the wireless router! That might be
    related. I had to enter that in and then a few minutes later, MBP shut
    off. Sheesh.

    On 5/29/2012 10:13 PM PT, Ant typed:

    --
    "Ever watch ants just crawling around? They walk in that single straight
    line, a long, a long, long mile of ants. Sometimes they will walk over
    Ant, May 30, 2012

  3. Ant

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Ant
    <> wrote:

    > My client said his four years old MacBook Pro's old battery doesn't last
    > long these days -- about 20 minutes and then shuts off. No warnings or
    > anything. Even the status shows about 25% battery power left.
    >
    > Does this old MBP need to get a new battery or need to reset/fix the
    > charge status? If it just needs a reset/fix, then what's the
    > best/correct way to do that? Also, Mac OS X 10.5.8 has all the updates.
    > If it needs a new battery, then what's the best place to get a new one
    > in Los Angeles/L.A. or Orange County/O.C. area? From a local Apple store?

    sudden shutdown means one or more of the internal battery cells has
    failed, dropping the voltage of the entire battery pack below than what
    can run the computer, therefore it shuts off.

    replace the battery.

    you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
    extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.

    if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
    battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
    something to that effect.

    as for replacements, there are third party batteries, but personally,
    i'd get only apple label ones. shop around for the best deal.

    you also might have success finding one on ebay that's in reasonable
    condition if you don't want to pay full price for a battery for a 4
    year old computer, however, you might also get stuck with another
    failing one.
    nospam, May 30, 2012
  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 5/29/2012 10:50 PM PT, nospam typed:

    > sudden shutdown means one or more of the internal battery cells has
    > failed, dropping the voltage of the entire battery pack below than what
    > can run the computer, therefore it shuts off.

    Interesting!

    > replace the battery.
    >
    > you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
    > extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.
    >
    > if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
    > battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
    > something to that effect.

    We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
    earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
    different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
    text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

    > as for replacements, there are third party batteries, but personally,
    > i'd get only apple label ones. shop around for the best deal.

    So, would Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Apple stores, Radio
    Shack, etc. carry these MBP batteries?

    > you also might have success finding one on ebay that's in reasonable
    > condition if you don't want to pay full price for a battery for a 4
    > year old computer, however, you might also get stuck with another
    > failing one.

    How much does a new one usually cost?
    | |o o| |
    Ant, May 30, 2012
  5. Ant

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Ant
    <> wrote:

    > > replace the battery.
    > >
    > > you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
    > > extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.
    > >
    > > if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
    > > battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
    > > something to that effect.

    > We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
    > earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
    > different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
    > text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

    if you option-click it, there's an extra line about the battery
    condition. mine says condition: normal. yours probably won't.

    you can also run system profiler and see what it says in the power
    section.

    > > as for replacements, there are third party batteries, but personally,
    > > i'd get only apple label ones. shop around for the best deal.

    > So, would Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Apple stores, Radio
    > Shack, etc. carry these MBP batteries?

    apple stores obviously will, as will best buy. radio shack won't. i
    have no idea about costco or fry's.

    > > you also might have success finding one on ebay that's in reasonable
    > > condition if you don't want to pay full price for a battery for a 4
    > > year old computer, however, you might also get stuck with another
    > > failing one.

    > How much does a new one usually cost?

    $129
    nospam, May 30, 2012
  6. Ant

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ant <> wrote:

    > I forgot to mention that right before the last power loss, MBP's
    > wireless lost its password to the wireless router! That might be
    > related. I had to enter that in and then a few minutes later, MBP shut
    > off. Sheesh.

    Funny you should mention this! In the last couple of days, I have been
    logging in and out quite a bit. But the mains AC is connected all the
    time to my MB. My AirPort, the built-in wireless connection in the MB,
    for the first time in two years did not know the password! It just
    suddenly lost wireless connection and when I opened up the Airport
    menu to right of screen, it showed no password and asked me for it!

    I would have to fish it out keychain but it does not matter, I just
    plugged in the ethernet cable. But very curious. The battery is
    showing as 97% full and am not having any power problems. The MB still
    works fine on battery. You are making me wonder if something about the
    battery (it getting long in the tooth, 2.4 yrs), combined with some
    sys thing is causing this?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 30, 2012
  7. Ant

    SRMoll Guest

    On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:37:47 AM UTC+1, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, Ant
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > > replace the battery.
    > > >
    > > > you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
    > > > extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.
    > > >
    > > > if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
    > > > battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
    > > > something to that effect.

    > > We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
    > > earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
    > > different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
    > > text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

    > if you option-click it, there's an extra line about the battery
    > condition. mine says condition: normal. yours probably won't.
    >
    > you can also run system profiler and see what it says in the power
    > section.
    >
    > > > as for replacements, there are third party batteries, but personally,
    > > > i'd get only apple label ones. shop around for the best deal.

    > > So, would Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Apple stores, Radio
    > > Shack, etc. carry these MBP batteries?

    > apple stores obviously will, as will best buy. radio shack won't. i
    > have no idea about costco or fry's.
    >
    > > > you also might have success finding one on ebay that's in reasonable
    > > > condition if you don't want to pay full price for a battery for a 4
    > > > year old computer, however, you might also get stuck with another
    > > > failing one.

    > > How much does a new one usually cost?

    > $129

    The battery on my aged 2009 MacBook Pro started doing that, it would die suddenly after 20 to 30 minutes.Eventually, literally overnight, the battery swelled up and was distorting the MacBook chassis. I was able to unclip thebattery and put it aside, but I guessing you don't have that option, and will need to ensure the old battery is out of the machine before it has a chace to do irreversible damage.
    SRMoll, May 30, 2012
  8. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 5/30/2012 12:16 AM PT, dorayme typed:

    > Funny you should mention this! In the last couple of days, I have been
    > logging in and out quite a bit. But the mains AC is connected all the
    > time to my MB. My AirPort, the built-in wireless connection in the MB,
    > for the first time in two years did not know the password! It just
    > suddenly lost wireless connection and when I opened up the Airport
    > menu to right of screen, it showed no password and asked me for it!
    >
    > I would have to fish it out keychain but it does not matter, I just
    > plugged in the ethernet cable. But very curious. The battery is
    > showing as 97% full and am not having any power problems. The MB still
    > works fine on battery. You are making me wonder if something about the
    > battery (it getting long in the tooth, 2.4 yrs), combined with some
    > sys thing is causing this?

    Weird. Yours lost/forgot with AC connected? My client's was on battery
    when it happened. It only happened once so far!
    --
    "At high tide the fish eat ants; at low tide the ants eat fish." --Thai
    Proverb
    Ant, May 30, 2012
  9. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 5/30/2012 2:43 AM PT, SRMoll typed:

    >>> We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
    >>> earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
    >>> different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
    >>> text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

    >> if you option-click it, there's an extra line about the battery
    >> condition. mine says condition: normal. yours probably won't.

    Is that the one where it has options to pick best performance, normal,
    best performance, custom, etc.? Then, they looked fine to me. No
    odd/weird errors/texts.

    >> you can also run system profiler and see what it says in the power
    >> section.

    Here is what it says when running on battery right after seeing 97% charge:

    Battery Information:

    Model Information:
    Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-38f9-d6e9
    Manufacturer: Sony
    Device name: ASMB012
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0110
    Hardware Revision: 0500
    Cell Revision: 0303
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 1993
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 2092
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 79
    Condition: Check Battery
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1142
    Voltage (mV): 11963

    System Power Settings:

    AC Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 60
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 30
    Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Wake On LAN: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Battery Power:
    System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 5
    Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
    Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
    Wake On AC Change: No
    Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
    Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
    Reduce Brightness: Yes

    Hardware Configuration:

    UPS Installed: No

    AC Charger Information:

    Connected: No
    Charging: No

    I see that "Check battery" text. I guess that means to change it?

    >>> So, would Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Apple stores, Radio
    >>> Shack, etc. carry these MBP batteries?

    >> apple stores obviously will, as will best buy. radio shack won't. i
    >> have no idea about costco or fry's.

    OK. Do I have to find specific models or something for this old MBP from
    2008?

    >>> How much does a new one usually cost?

    >> $129

    > The battery on my aged 2009 MacBook Pro started doing that, it would die suddenly after 20 to 30 minutes.Eventually, literally overnight, the battery swelled up and was distorting the MacBook chassis. I was able to unclip the battery and put it aside, but I guessing you don't have that option, and will need to ensure the old battery is out of the machine before it has a chace to do irreversible damage.

    Wow, expensive. Yikes for the physical damage!! I will tell my client to
    remove it then! That's scary! I hope it is easy to remove it.

    Good thing we made a big external USB HDD backup (Time Machine and
    manually) over the long Memorial Day weekend. :)
    --
    "Ants can attack with a grain of rice." --a Malagasy Proverb
    | |o o| |
    Ant, May 30, 2012
  10. In article <290520122337476948%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Ant
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > > replace the battery.
    > > >
    > > > you *might* be able to do a full discharge/recharge to weasel a little
    > > > extra life out of it, but it's not going to be much better.
    > > >
    > > > if you option-click the battery menu extra, it will display the
    > > > battery's condition and it will probably say service battery or
    > > > something to that effect.

    > > We did not see anything odd/unusual. It said 84% (we were charging
    > > earlier after the incident) after pulling the power AC to check,
    > > different battery power options, and status options, but no "extra"
    > > text. We did not see any "service battery" or anything like that.

    > if you option-click it, there's an extra line about the battery
    > condition. mine says condition: normal. yours probably won't.
    >
    > you can also run system profiler and see what it says in the power
    > section.

    And there's a third-party utility Battery Health Monitor that may
    display some useful info.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, May 30, 2012
  11. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 5/30/2012 6:35 AM PT, Barry Margolin typed:

    > And there's a third-party utility Battery Health Monitor that may
    > display some useful info.

    What's the official web site to get it?
    --
    "When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had been eaten by ants
    and of which nothing remained except the shell. Through the holes in its
    Ant, May 30, 2012
  12. In article <>,

    http://www.sonoragraphics.com/batteryhealth.html

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, May 30, 2012
  13. Ant

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Ant
    <> wrote:

    > >> if you option-click it, there's an extra line about the battery
    > >> condition. mine says condition: normal. yours probably won't.

    > Is that the one where it has options to pick best performance, normal,
    > best performance, custom, etc.? Then, they looked fine to me. No
    > odd/weird errors/texts.

    it's the menu extra that just shows battery level, but apparently the
    condition item was added in 10.6 and i think you said 10.5.8 so that
    explains why you aren't seeing anything.

    <http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/240210-battery-menu.png>

    > Health Information:
    > Cycle count: 79
    > Condition: Check Battery

    this is where it would say 'normal' if it wasn't having a problem.

    79 cycles for a 4 year old battery?? he obviously doesn't use it on
    battery power all that often, so why bother replacing it?

    > I see that "Check battery" text. I guess that means to change it?

    it means there's a problem, but at least it's better than 'service
    battery'.

    > OK. Do I have to find specific models or something for this old MBP from
    > 2008?

    there are different ones for the various size macbooks.

    > >> $129

    > > The battery on my aged 2009 MacBook Pro started doing that, it would die
    > > suddenly after 20 to 30 minutes.Eventually, literally overnight, the
    > > battery swelled up and was distorting the MacBook chassis. I was able to
    > > unclip the battery and put it aside, but I guessing you don't have that
    > > option, and will need to ensure the old battery is out of the machine
    > > before it has a chace to do irreversible damage.

    > Wow, expensive. Yikes for the physical damage!! I will tell my client to
    > remove it then! That's scary! I hope it is easy to remove it.

    it's very easy to remove (unlike the more recent macbooks). he can keep
    using the battery, just keep an eye on it if it starts to swell, which
    it probably won't. that only happens if there's some sort of internal
    damage.

    > Good thing we made a big external USB HDD backup (Time Machine and
    > manually) over the long Memorial Day weekend. :)

    backups are always a good thing but the battery issue is unrelated to
    hard drive crashes.
    nospam, May 30, 2012
  14. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Since it looks like my client's MBP will need a new battery. Looking at
    http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=macbook pro battery ... show two
    15" batteries. Which one is which for this 2008's MacBook Pro model? Is
    it aluminum? Also, what's up with the low ratings and negative reviews?
    :( Are there any top rated reviewed batteries to get if these are not
    good? $129 is expensive.

    --
    Quote of the Week: "Whence we see spiders, flies, or ants entombed and
    preserved forever in amber, a more than royal tomb." --Sir Francis Bacon
    Ant, May 30, 2012
  15. Ant

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Ant
    <> wrote:

    > Since it looks like my client's MBP will need a new battery. Looking at
    > http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=macbook pro battery ... show two
    > 15" batteries. Which one is which for this 2008's MacBook Pro model? Is
    > it aluminum? Also, what's up with the low ratings and negative reviews?
    > :( Are there any top rated reviewed batteries to get if these are not
    > good? $129 is expensive.

    the smaller battery is for the first 15" unibody, released in late
    2008. i don't know why they refer to it as 15" aluminum since all
    macbook pros are aluminum.

    all prior macbook pros use the larger battery.
    nospam, May 30, 2012
  16. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    (By the way, the newsgroups "comp.sys.mac.portable" and
    "comp.sys.mac.systems" do not officially exist, so I've removed them
    from followups. The remaining groups are valid.)

    Ant <> wrote:

    > Since it looks like my client's MBP will need a new battery. Looking at
    > http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=macbook pro battery ... show two
    > 15" batteries. Which one is which for this 2008's MacBook Pro model?

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA348LL/A is for older (original body)
    MacBook Pro models (2006 to early 2008).

    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB772LL/A is for the aluminium unibody
    models which have a removable battery (late 2008).

    The mid 2009 and more recent models have an integrated battery, which
    Apple regards as not being user-replaceable. The official means of
    replacing these is to take it to an authorised Apple service agent, and
    they will probably charge you US$129 for the battery itself, plus a
    labour charge.

    If you aren't sure which 2008 model your client has, go into Apple menu,
    About This Mac, click More Info.

    In Mac OS X 10.6.8 and earlier, this runs System Profiler. The "Model
    Identifier" is shown on the first page. It is "MacBookPro5,1" for the
    late 2008 15" model (unibody). The first digit will be 4 or less for
    earlier models.

    In Mac OS X 10.7 and later, System Profiler was renamed to System
    Information, and has an initial window which gives a general overview,
    including the model name. You can click the System Report button to open
    the same detailed information that System Profiler gave, and can see the
    Model Identifier there.

    > Is it aluminum?

    All MacBook Pros are aluminium.

    > Also, what's up with the low ratings and negative reviews?

    Most of the negative reviews seem to be complaints about having to
    replace the original battery with a new one sooner than they expected.

    That doesn't match my personal experience, but I expect a lot of
    variation comes from how the battery gets exercised.

    My typical usage pattern during the week is to have the computer plugged
    in most of the day while I'm at work, and running from battery most of
    the time while I'm using it at home, sometimes plugging it in at home if
    necessary (particularly during the weekends).

    My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model, original body) had its original
    battery for the three years in which I owned it. It got well over 300
    cycles and was still getting excellent run time. As far as I know, the
    new owner hasn't had to replace the battery yet (two years later).

    Battery life could be reduced by running the computer from mains power
    for weeks or months at a time, without running it on battery at all.

    Battery life could also be reduced by using it heavily on battery and
    not allowing enough recharge time, or letting the battery discharge to
    very low levels without being recharged for a while.

    > :( Are there any top rated reviewed batteries to get if these are not
    > good? $129 is expensive.

    For models with removable batteries you could try Newer Technology (sold
    via Other World Computing): http://www.macsales.com. I got one for my
    PowerBook G4 back in 2004, which lasted longer than the original Apple
    battery for that computer, but I don't have any more recent experience.

    Personally I'd bite the bullet and stick with the official Apple
    batteries these days.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, May 31, 2012
  17. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 5/30/2012 7:41 AM PT, Barry Margolin typed:

    >>> And there's a third-party utility Battery Health Monitor that may
    >>> display some useful info.

    >> What's the official web site to get it?

    > http://www.sonoragraphics.com/batteryhealth.html

    Thanks! http://i.imgur.com/319Mw.png for the screen shot/capture after
    the battery was charged earlier and powering on from being off since
    this morning. What do you think of it?
    --
    "Oh, look what Kyle got me, it's a red Mega... Ants in the pants? Ants
    in the pants?! Ants in the Pants?!! ..." --Eric Cartman in South Park's
    Ant, May 31, 2012
  18. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 5/30/2012 1:14 PM PT, nospam typed:

    >> Since it looks like my client's MBP will need a new battery. Looking at
    >> http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=macbook pro battery ... show two
    >> 15" batteries. Which one is which for this 2008's MacBook Pro model? Is
    >> it aluminum? Also, what's up with the low ratings and negative reviews?
    >> :( Are there any top rated reviewed batteries to get if these are not
    >> good? $129 is expensive.

    > the smaller battery is for the first 15" unibody, released in late
    > 2008. i don't know why they refer to it as 15" aluminum since all
    > macbook pros are aluminum.
    >
    > all prior macbook pros use the larger battery.

    OK so the one my client has the larger one when I checked under his MBP.
    --
    "Even an ant can hurt an elephant." --Proverb
    | |o o| |
    Ant, May 31, 2012
  19. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 5/30/2012 5:39 PM PT, David Empson typed:

    >> Since it looks like my client's MBP will need a new battery. Looking at
    >> http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=macbook pro battery ... show two
    >> 15" batteries. Which one is which for this 2008's MacBook Pro model?

    > http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA348LL/A is for older (original body)
    > MacBook Pro models (2006 to early 2008).
    >
    > http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB772LL/A is for the aluminium unibody
    > models which have a removable battery (late 2008).
    >
    > The mid 2009 and more recent models have an integrated battery, which
    > Apple regards as not being user-replaceable. The official means of
    > replacing these is to take it to an authorised Apple service agent, and
    > they will probably charge you US$129 for the battery itself, plus a
    > labour charge.
    >

    > If you aren't sure which 2008 model your client has, go into Apple menu,
    > About This Mac, click More Info.
    >
    > In Mac OS X 10.6.8 and earlier, this runs System Profiler. The "Model
    > Identifier" is shown on the first page. It is "MacBookPro5,1" for the
    > late 2008 15" model (unibody). The first digit will be 4 or less for
    > earlier models.
    >
    > In Mac OS X 10.7 and later, System Profiler was renamed to System
    > Information, and has an initial window which gives a general overview,
    > including the model name. You can click the System Report button to open
    > the same detailed information that System Profiler gave, and can see the
    > Model Identifier there.

    I looked under my client's MBP and it was the big size so he has the
    older one. Wow, Apple doesn't want to change hardware parts in their
    newer models? That's dumb. :(

    >> Is it aluminum?

    > All MacBook Pros are aluminium.
    >
    >> Also, what's up with the low ratings and negative reviews?

    > Most of the negative reviews seem to be complaints about having to
    > replace the original battery with a new one sooner than they expected.
    >
    > That doesn't match my personal experience, but I expect a lot of
    > variation comes from how the battery gets exercised.
    >
    > My typical usage pattern during the week is to have the computer plugged
    > in most of the day while I'm at work, and running from battery most of
    > the time while I'm using it at home, sometimes plugging it in at home if
    > necessary (particularly during the weekends).
    >
    > My previous MacBook Pro (mid 2007 model, original body) had its original
    > battery for the three years in which I owned it. It got well over 300
    > cycles and was still getting excellent run time. As far as I know, the
    > new owner hasn't had to replace the battery yet (two years later).
    >
    > Battery life could be reduced by running the computer from mains power
    > for weeks or months at a time, without running it on battery at all.
    >
    > Battery life could also be reduced by using it heavily on battery and
    > not allowing enough recharge time, or letting the battery discharge to
    > very low levels without being recharged for a while.

    Interesting.

    >> :( Are there any top rated reviewed batteries to get if these are not
    >> good? $129 is expensive.

    > For models with removable batteries you could try Newer Technology (sold
    > via Other World Computing): http://www.macsales.com. I got one for my
    > PowerBook G4 back in 2004, which lasted longer than the original Apple
    > battery for that computer, but I don't have any more recent experience.
    >
    > Personally I'd bite the bullet and stick with the official Apple
    > batteries these days.

    OK. What is its warranty like for these replaced Apple batteries? :)
    --
    "The foreign policy aim of ants can be summed up as follows: restless
    aggression, territorial conquest, and genocidal annihilation of
    Ant, May 31, 2012
  20. Ant

    Ant Guest

    On 5/30/2012 8:32 AM PT, nospam typed:

    >> Is that the one where it has options to pick best performance, normal,
    >> custom, etc.? Then, they looked fine to me. No odd/weird errors/texts.

    > it's the menu extra that just shows battery level, but apparently the
    > condition item was added in 10.6 and i think you said 10.5.8 so that
    > explains why you aren't seeing anything.
    >
    > <http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/240210-battery-menu.png>
    >
    >> Health Information:
    >> Cycle count: 79
    >> Condition: Check Battery

    > this is where it would say 'normal' if it wasn't having a problem.

    Ah thanks.

    > 79 cycles for a 4 year old battery?? he obviously doesn't use it on
    > battery power all that often, so why bother replacing it?

    He does once in a while. Very rare.

    >> I see that "Check battery" text. I guess that means to change it?

    > it means there's a problem, but at least it's better than 'service
    > battery'.

    So what will happen with that "Check battery" text? Just less battery
    power? No explosions, physuical inflations, etc.?

    >> OK. Do I have to find specific models or something for this old MBP from
    >> 2008?

    > there are different ones for the various size macbooks.

    OK.

    >>> The battery on my aged 2009 MacBook Pro started doing that, it would die
    >>> suddenly after 20 to 30 minutes.Eventually, literally overnight, the
    >>> battery swelled up and was distorting the MacBook chassis. I was able to
    >>> unclip the battery and put it aside, but I guessing you don't have that
    >>> option, and will need to ensure the old battery is out of the machine
    >>> before it has a chace to do irreversible damage.

    >> Wow, expensive. Yikes for the physical damage!! I will tell my client to
    >> remove it then! That's scary! I hope it is easy to remove it.

    > it's very easy to remove (unlike the more recent macbooks). he can keep
    > using the battery, just keep an eye on it if it starts to swell, which
    > it probably won't. that only happens if there's some sort of internal
    > damage.

    OK. Hopefully, no explosions. :)

    >> Good thing we made a big external USB HDD backup (Time Machine and
    >> manually) over the long Memorial Day weekend. :)

    > backups are always a good thing but the battery issue is unrelated to
    > hard drive crashes.

    Well, you mentioned the physical battery swelling! That is scary!
    --
    o/~ All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving...
    they all do it the same... they all do it the same... way... o/~ --Ants
    Ant, May 31, 2012