New CD-RW combo drive for MSI-6561 (745 Ultra)

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Herbert Boehl, Dec 26, 2006.

  1. I attempted to instal a combo drive on my machine and failed. My board is
    an MSI-6561 (745 Ultra) and the BIOS failed to recognize my new drive (ASUS
    CB-5216A; at NewEgg:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827135075).

    Is there a combo drive or CD-RW/DVD and DVD burner that is known to work on
    this board? I heard one time that Samsung drives with with almost any board
    or company (within reason, of course).

    I don't really want to upgrade my board as I have everything else running
    fine, including a 40Gig ATA133 HDD, 256MB video card, USB, sound, everything
    except the CD-RW/DVD ROM/DVD burner.

    MY cpu is OC'd at 2.25GHz actual, 300MHz FSB, 542MB running W98se. I was
    getting my system ready to run Vista when the time was right, selecting
    Vista compliant components.

    Any feedback will be welcome. Thanks!!

    1. Advertising

  2. mikeyhsd

    mikeyhsd Guest

    check Lite-On products, what I use on MSI 6701

    "Herbert Boehl" <> wrote in message news:2A_jh.13004$...
[...]

  3. My Asus drive is fully and flawlessly installed. Boy do I fell dumb and
    grateful.

    In proceeding to remove the drive that my BIOS "would not read", I noticed
    that the IDE cable plug pulled out more easily on one end than the other:
    it had not been plugged in correctly as one end went in with more force than
    the other, and I had thought it was fully seated. Sheesh... plug it in and
    it works flawlessly. Go figure. But I sure am glad I discovered my
    mistake.

    This is the most quite drive I have ever owned. So far, so good.

    My v1.4 BIOS, dated 07/05/2002 reads it just fine. Everything is running
    great. I'm now ready for Vista, tho I am now starting to hear bug reports
    coming in. (Typo in original note... 512MB RAM, not 542MB.)

    Thank you for your reply, mikeyhsd.