    And the message: “Floppy Drive Fail (40)

    Has anyone any ideas?

    , Dec 1, 2005

  2. Uncle jimmy Guest

    What exactly did you do? There is not enough info!

    In another post you say you wanted to use an old drive so are you using an
    old drive and trying to boot that without reinstalling xp ((which i assume
    you are using you dont say and thats important)

    If you ARE using xp then you need to do a repair install

    If you need to know how to do this post back

    If that doesnt work then a complete reinstall of xp is required and then you
    will have to load your driver discs etc

    For example.......is your usb`s USB2? If so then you need to load sp1 or 2
    before they will work!

    You also need to load a driver for your video card.

    Give more detailed info and someone may help you or I will as far as I can!

    "" <Zentraleinheit(REMOVE)@copper.net> wrote in
    message news:...

    Uncle jimmy, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Guest

    Excuse the lack of detail on my last post, but, after hours of trying to get
    my chaintech motherboard running one tends to loose ones focus!

    The problem is with a Chiantech S1689 939 socket MB using the Uli M1689
    chipset. I am running the original Windows 98 OS, 512 of memory, and an AMD
    Athlon64 3000+ CPU.

    While I have many problems, I am only go to focus on the top three.

    1: After checking "enable" in the BIOS for USB 1.1 (with keyboard and mouse)
    and USB 2.0, I was able to finally get my mouse/graphic pad to work.
    However, only using Windows' built in drivers. When I tried to load the
    mouse/pad own drivers, I got the messages that there is no USB ports on the
    computer. No other USB device that I tried will work either. In addition no
    USB ports/hubs show up in System.

    2: I cannot load the drivers for my ATI All-in-Wonder 128 video card. When I
    try to use Windows' automatic system to find my video card, all it finds and
    loads are the OS's own standard VGA drivers. Making the screen look like it
    does when in safe mode. I have gone into the BIOS and "told" it use the AGP
    port, but, I do not know whether it does or does not. For when I try to
    manually load the drivers for this card I get the following message:

    "The Display Driver is not Compatible with the Display Adapter(s) Installed
    on Your System"

    The video card in seated firmly in the AGP slot, and it did work in my last
    system. So, why can't this MB/OS "see it?"

    3: While the BIOS and Windows' see that I have a 3.5 floppy drive as A: I
    cannot read/write to it. When I do, I get the message that the drive does
    not exist. On the other hand, the BIOS/OS cannot see my 5.25 B: floppy
    drive. It does not show up anywhere. In addition, as the computer boots up,
    a message appears saying: "Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)."

    Also, the following post codes appear as the computer boots up:

    50 52 60 6F 75 7F 8B 96

    I have contacted Chaintech USA and their answer was to reinstall Windows 98
    since I hade an OS failure. However, I doubt that, and I would like a second
    opnion before going to such a desperate step.

    I hope that with this more detailed report that an answer can be found.

    Thank you for any help

    , Dec 2, 2005
  4. Guest

    Another Chapter in the Saga of the S1689 Motherboard :)

    I did what Chainthech support said and reinstalled Windows 98.

    IT WORKED (all most)!

    I now have my ATI video card, USB, ports, and sound.

    However, the problem with the Floppy disks remain.

    > While the BIOS and Windows' see that I have a 3.5 floppy drive as A: I

    cannot read/write to it. When I do, I get the message that the drive does
    not exist. On the other hand, the BIOS/OS cannot see my 5.25 B: floppy
    drive. It does not show up anywhere. In addition, as the computer boots up,
    a message appears saying: "Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)."

    >I can't figure out why, I think I installed the ribbon the right way (the

    wire with the red coloring is pin one ain't it?). I tried both the
    connections in the middle and at the end of the cable. Yet my 5.25 B: drive
    is not notice at all, and while the 3.5 A: drive is "seen" by the bios and
    Windows 98. I still can't read or write to it.

    I'll try asking the same question from Chaintech, maybe between this group
    and them an answer can be discovered.

    , Dec 3, 2005
  5. Guy Guest

    I doubt this board even supports a 5-14" drive; did the FDD cable tha
    came in the box have one header? I am surprised the pin-out is eve
    compatible.

    Assuming the board does support the 5-14" FDD, try going into BIOS an
    activating it. There should be instructions in your manual.

    I hope you can get it running

    Have you re-installed your graphics tablet yet? I highly recommend
    system restore point before doing so. I think you had an IR
    conflict

    Guy, Dec 3, 2005
  6. Uncle jimmy Guest

    did you remember to reverse the floppy cable at the floppy end??

    this usually causes error 40

    Uncle jimmy, Dec 5, 2005
  7. Guest

    >did you remember to reverse the floppy cable at the floppy end?

    Yes, I tried that. and may other way of connecting (using the middle
    connector - using the last connector-pluging in to the MB/Drive with the red
    stripe at the 1st pin-the red stripe in the last pin- etc).

    And except for the green power light going off instead of staying on,the
    same keeps on happening.

    The A: drive is seeen by the BIOS and in Windows 98, but, when I try to
    acess it I get after a minute or so of the computer being frozen a pop-up
    saying that the drive is unaccessable. Or it will make noise if the the
    cable is in the other way, but, will still be unaccessable to the computer.
    Yet still be seen by it!

    Plus, on boot up I still get the Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40). Even with the B:
    drive cable (which only plugs in one way) installed or not installed.

    P.S. Putting the floppy disk connector at the bottom of the MB is a bad
    design mistake!

    , Dec 5, 2005
  8. Guest

    >>did you remember to reverse the floppy cable at the floppy end?

    OOPS - I been a bad boy!

    I thought I did, but, I read the manual wrong and thought the pin one was on
    the right side of the MB connector. - Its on the LEFT!

    Once I got the pins right my A: dirve workes.

    But, as for the B: drive?

    Because Chaintech unwisely put the floppy disk (among others) connection at
    the bottom of the MB my cable is not long enought to reach my second floppy
    drive.

    I must either find a longer cable, or when I get a new case, find one in
    which the distance between the MB and drives are shorter.

    Sorry for the mix-up, but, ones mind go dim as it get colder :)))))))))

    , Dec 6, 2005
  9. Ginchy Guest

    I may have a floppy cable for you ...I am Unkle Jimmy BTW.............

    Measure the size you need and I will go through them I have quite a few

    Are you still left with any problems or is that you all sorted now?

    Ginchy, Dec 8, 2005
  10. >Measure the size you need and I will go through them I have quite a few

    For both a 3.5 and a 5.25 drive?

    >Are you still left with any problems or is that you all sorted now

    Are you Kidding?

    I still have my first and major problem!

    I can't video capture with my All-in-Wonder 128 pro video card. Yet I have
    no graphic trouble otherwise.

    Every time I try - Or when I first use DixDiag after uploading DirectX9c- I
    get the following error message.

    A Fatal Exception 0E has occured at 0028:00000009, The current application
    will be terminated.

    I don't know if it is the application (it wored before I upgraded) or that
    somthiong to do with this motherboard prevents video caputure with ATI
    applications.

    Any help would be nice - I getting sick of waiting for the computer to
    reboot after trying a fix- and nothing happens!

    Zentraleinheit, Dec 11, 2005
  11. Ginchy Guest

    Try removing your ati capture driver

    Then install dx9c

    Then reinstall the capture driver

    or if thats the way you done it before reverse the order

    So the origianl ide cable for the floppy had both 3.5 and 5.25 on the same
    cable? I thought they were seperate..its just standard floppy cables I have!

    email me for a quicker response if you want just remove the capitol B`s

    Ginchy, Dec 11, 2005
  12. Ginchy Guest

    your error is quite common

    2 possibles right away are Norton Internet Security and AOL

    but read here you might find the answer

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mi...ent application&rnum=2&hl=en#385fb81aa8e164dc

    Ginchy, Dec 11, 2005
  13. >2 possibles right away are Norton Internet Security and AOL

    I have been reading the same thing, but, I never had AOL.

    And While I do have Norton Anti-Virus and Firewall, then never acted up wehn
    I had my old motherboard.

    Now I have found that even if I remove my ATI drivers, but leave direct X8.1
    on the computer I get the same error message when I run DxDiag.

    I am beginning to think maybe the ULi chipset of this MB has somekind of
    problem with Direct X 8.1 or higher.

    Have you ever heard of such a problem?

    Zentraleinheit, Dec 12, 2005
  14. Ginchy Guest

    It wont be your motherboard.

    It will be a software fault

    It is actually quite common knowledge that you should switch off virus
    checkers before installing any software

    Also Norton software is REKNOWNED for interfering with all sorts of things.

    Probably the reason you didnt have the fault before is that you installed
    the software in a different order. I am sure it is more to do with this than
    there being a problem with your mobo

    If you have the patience you could start again and reformat. Another
    thing.......didnt you have to reinstall to get your usb working? It occurs
    to me that your windows disc is faulty or your cd rom isnt reading it
    properly and that could be causing a corrupt install.

    worth a thought..........

    Ginchy, Dec 12, 2005
  15. I tried removing Norton - reinstalling the ATI drivers.

    Not only do I still have the same problem

    I now can get my firewall and e-mail potection to work!

    Why would somhting that gave me no problems before now is nothing but
    trouble!

    Sometimes I think I shold go back to my 486 computer and Win 3.11!

    Or maybe my 8088 and DOS 1.1!!

    >reinstall to get your usb working

    I don't know since I did not have to use my USP ports untill I had to
    reinstall Windows98 so I could get it to notice the PCI slot and the video
    card that was in it.

    Zentraleinheit, Dec 13, 2005
  16. uddarts Guest

    "" wrote:
    > 1: No USB devices will work.
    >
    > 2: My ATI All In Wonder 128 Pro AGP card is not listed nor
    > available.
    >
    > 3: While my 3. 5 floppy drive is listed as available, I can’s
    > access any
    > data from it.
    >
    > 4: My 5.25 floppy drive is not listed at all
    >
    > 5: I don’t get any sound from the built in audio,
    >
    > 6: The Red power LED and Green Hard Drive LED do not light
    > under any
    > circumstances.
    >
    > Also, as I power up I get the following post codes:
    >
    > 50 52 60 6F 75 7F 8B 96
    >
    > And the message: “Floppy Drive Fail (40)
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas?

    when the board hits the first boot screen, tap delete key. when the
    bios screen appears move to the load optimal settings save and exit.

    power and hd leds, do a 180º with the connectors at the motherboard.

    does the led lite on the floppy stay lit?

    what board do you have?

    ud

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/motherboard-problems-ftopict65990.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=330496

    uddarts, Dec 13, 2005
  17. uddarts Guest

    "" wrote
    > 1: No USB devices will work.
    >
    > 2: My ATI All In Wonder 128 Pro AGP card is not listed nor
    > available.
    >
    > 3: While my 3. 5 floppy drive is listed as available, I can’s
    > access any
    > data from it.
    >
    > 4: My 5.25 floppy drive is not listed at all
    >
    > 5: I don’t get any sound from the built in audio,
    >
    > 6: The Red power LED and Green Hard Drive LED do not light
    > under any
    > circumstances.
    >
    > Also, as I power up I get the following post codes:
    >
    > 50 52 60 6F 75 7F 8B 96
    >
    > And the message: “Floppy Drive Fail (40)
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas

    "Excuse the lack of detail on my last post, but, after hours of
    trying to get
    my chaintech motherboard running one tends to loose ones focus! "

    i know exactly. it can be frustrating and i’m glad you asked for help.
    i have spent nearly infinate hours trying to do it myself.

    "I have contacted Chaintech USA and their answer was to reinstall
    Windows 98
    since I hade an OS failure. However, I doubt that, and I would like a
    second
    opnion before going to such a desperate step. "

    they are giving you the same advice that i and probably many others
    would too. if you can get it to work at some point with the current os
    from the other board, somewhere down the line your going to end up
    doing a fresh install. i would imagine your new board is using a
    totally different chipset than the old one. if you still can get your
    old system up and running and save whatever files you want to save or
    install it on a friends computer and copy to his drive, cds or dvds.
    then format and reinstall windows.

    "I cannot load the drivers for my ATI All-in-Wonder 128 video card.
    When I
    try to use Windows’ automatic system to find my video card, all it
    finds and
    loads are the OS’s own standard VGA drivers. Making the screen look
    like it
    does when in safe mode. I have gone into the BIOS and "told" it use
    the AGP
    port, but, I do not know whether it does or does not. For when I try
    manually load the drivers for this card I get the following message:

    "The Display Driver is not Compatible with the Display Adapter(s)
    Installed
    on Your System"

    The video card in seated firmly in the AGP slot, and it did work in my
    last
    system. So, why can’t this MB/OS "see it?"

    boy, do i know your pain on that one. i have run into that one at
    least a half dozen times. i have yet to figure out what it takes to
    get to load the drivers for the card. i have always gotten it at some
    point but after trying dozens of different attacks at the problem i
    never remember exactly what i did.

    "While the BIOS and Windows’ see that I have a 3.5 floppy drive as A:
    cannot read/write to it. When I do, I get the message that the drive
    does
    not exist. On the other hand, the BIOS/OS cannot see my 5.25 B: floppy
    drive. It does not show up anywhere. In addition, as the computer
    boots up,
    a message appears saying: "Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)." "

    as i asked before, does the lite on the floppy stay lit? if it does
    you have one of those goofy floppy drives that needs the cable turned
    upside down from usual notched area of the drive. if it doesn’t fit
    you have shave the little nub on the cable off enough to get it to
    plug in the other way.

    if the floppy lite just blinks on and off as normal when booting then
    maybe try another floppy cable. also check the pins on both the drive
    and the board and make sure all pins are straight.

    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=330744

    uddarts, Dec 13, 2005