    USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.

    thx

    Tom
    oh well, May 10, 2011

  2. oh well

    Ben Myers Guest

    On May 10, 4:48 pm, "oh well" <> wrote:
    > I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop.  I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit,new
    > to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops.  I was never enthusiastic about
    > computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    > disc.  What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    > install my own Win7 or even XP.  Can I do this, how?
    >
    > I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
    > the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
    > USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >
    > thx
    >
    > Tom

    It is probably way more straightforward and far less time-consuming to
    download the free Revo Uninstaller and remove the programs you do not
    want or need. Revo does a more thorough job of uninstalling than the
    Windows uninstaller, but it has occasional quirks where you really do
    not want to let it delete everything it wants to.

    If Revo is too daunting, remove what you do not want using the usual
    Windows uninstaller.

    After uninstalling all the junk, e.g. 30-day trial of McAfee or Norton
    Anti-Virus, run CCleaner to clean up the Windows registry and other
    leftover junk files.

    Dell should have provided you with the capability to create restore
    media for 64-bit Windows 7, but that may well reinstall all the junk.
    The only way to avoid the junkware is to install Windows 7 from a DVD
    that matches the product key on the bottom of your Dell. Or you could
    go out and buy another version of Windows, but be careful here.

    64-bit Windows 7 supports more than 3GB of memory, the practical limit
    of the 32-bit version of any operating system. If you choose to go
    back to XP, you need to make sure that there are XP drivers for all
    the hardware in your laptop. Frankly, I would stick with Windows 7.
    All the reports from my clients with Win 7 are pretty positive,
    compared to Vista, where everyone is still wretching and vomiting from
    over-exposure to a badly flawed OS, me included... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, May 11, 2011

  3. oh well

    RnR Guest

    On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <>
    wrote:

    >I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
    >to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
    >computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    >disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    >install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
    >
    >I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
    >the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
    >USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >
    >thx
    >
    >Tom

    What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
    editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
    on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
    perhaps???
    RnR, May 11, 2011
  4. oh well

    Daddy Guest

    RnR wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
    >> to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
    >> computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    >> disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    >> install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
    >>
    >> I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
    >> the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
    >> USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >>
    >> thx
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
    > editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
    > on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
    > perhaps???

    Instead of "Start", the button says "Stop - in the name of love."

    Daddy
    Daddy, May 11, 2011
  5. oh well

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2011 10:23:22 -0400, Daddy <> wrote:

    >RnR wrote:
    >> On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
    >>> to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
    >>> computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    >>> disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    >>> install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
    >>>
    >>> I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
    >>> the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
    >>> USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >>>
    >>> thx
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>>

    >> What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
    >> editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
    >> on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
    >> perhaps???

    >Instead of "Start", the button says "Stop - in the name of love."
    >
    >Daddy

    Daddy, you made me laugh.... good one !!!! (and thank you)
    RnR, May 11, 2011
  6. oh well

    oh well Guest

    "RnR" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit,
    >>new
    >>to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
    >>computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    >>disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    >>install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
    >>
    >>I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table
    >>and
    >>the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged
    >>into
    >>USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >>
    >>thx
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>

    > What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
    > editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
    > on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
    > perhaps???

    OK, so it's premium, my bad, but I betcha knew what I was talking about,
    huh.

    Tom
    oh well, May 11, 2011
  7. "oh well" wrote:

    >> What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among
    >> other editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find
    >> it on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
    >> perhaps???

    > OK, so it's premium, my bad, but I betcha knew what I was talking
    > about, huh.
    >
    > Tom

    The Supremes was a female singing group. Premium is a grade of
    gasoline. So what are you guys talking about? :-|

    *TimDaniels*
    Timothy Daniels, May 11, 2011
  8. oh well

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2011 12:42:02 -0500, "oh well" <>
    wrote:

    >"RnR" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit,
    >>>new
    >>>to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
    >>>computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    >>>disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    >>>install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
    >>>
    >>>I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table
    >>>and
    >>>the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged
    >>>into
    >>>USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >>>
    >>>thx
    >>>
    >>>Tom
    >>>

    >> What is Windows 7 Supreme? I mean where does it rank among other
    >> editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
    >> on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
    >> perhaps???

    >OK, so it's premium, my bad, but I betcha knew what I was talking about,
    >huh.
    >
    >Tom

    Actually I was really thinking this was a Dell branded Windows OS.
    Thanks for the correction as I thought this tidbit slipped by my
    reading.
    RnR, May 11, 2011
  9. oh well

    oh well Guest

    "oh well" <> wrote in message
    >I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
    >to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
    >computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    >disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    >install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
    >
    > I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table
    > and the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse
    > plugged into USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >
    > thx
    >
    > Tom

    ok, thanks anyway y'all.

    Tom
    oh well, May 12, 2011
  10. oh well

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 11, 3:53 pm, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 May 2011 12:42:02 -0500, "oh well" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"RnR" <> wrote in message

    > >> What is Windows 7 Supreme?   I mean where does it rank among other
    > >> editions.  I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
    > >> on the MS site so far.   Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
    > >> perhaps???

    > >OK, so it's premium, my bad, but I betcha knew what I was talking about,
    > >huh.

    > >Tom

    > Actually I was really thinking this was a Dell branded Windows OS.
    > Thanks for the correction as I thought this tidbit slipped by my
    > reading.

    RnR, you're so naive...that's what I like about you.
    Bob Villa, May 12, 2011
  11. oh well

    mm Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2011 07:11:50 -0500, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
    >>to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
    >>computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    >>disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    >>install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
    >>
    >>I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
    >>the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
    >>USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >>
    >>thx
    >>
    >>Tom
    >>

    >What is Windows 7 Supreme?

    I think that means it comes with pepperoni AND sausage.

    mm, May 12, 2011
  12. On 5/10/2011 4:48 PM, oh well wrote:
    > I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
    > to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
    > computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    > disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    > install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
    >
    > I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
    > the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
    > USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >
    > thx
    >
    > Tom

    you can create your own set of recovery cds or request that a set is
    sent to you using the form on this page:
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

    also, support.dell.com has detailed directions on how to reinstall your
    system from scratch using either the recovery partition that is on your
    system or from cd/dvds in the event that is not available.

    and though there is no 'supreme' version of windows 7 there are
    'starter', 'home basic', 'home premium', 'professional', 'enterprise',
    and 'ultimate' versions that are 32 bit as well as all but 'starter'
    available in a 64 bit version.
    Christopher Muto, May 12, 2011
  13. oh well

    Ben Myers Guest

    On May 12, 12:09 am, Christopher Muto <> wrote:
    > On 5/10/2011 4:48 PM, oh well wrote:
    >
    > > I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop.  I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
    > > to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops.  I was never enthusiastic about
    > > computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    > > disc.  What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    > > install my own Win7 or even XP.  Can I do this, how?

    > > I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
    > > the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse pluggedinto
    > > USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.

    > > thx

    > > Tom

    > you can create your own set of recovery cds or request that a set is
    > sent to you using the form on this page:http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/e...
    >
    > also, support.dell.com has detailed directions on how to reinstall your
    > system from scratch using either the recovery partition that is on your
    > system or from cd/dvds in the event that is not available.
    >
    > and though there is no 'supreme' version of windows 7 there are
    > 'starter', 'home basic', 'home premium', 'professional', 'enterprise',
    > and 'ultimate' versions that are 32 bit as well as all but 'starter'
    > available in a 64 bit version.

    I'm sure that if there was a Supreme version of Windows 7, it would
    have Digital Rights Management built into it by the record label. And
    then we could all visit the other Supremes, the ones who render all
    those weighty legal opinions, to object to use of DRM. The newspaper
    headline could read: "The Supremes vacate DRM used by the Supremes'
    label." Possible SNL material? ... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, May 12, 2011
  14. oh well

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2011 22:56:51 -0400, mm <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 May 2011 07:11:50 -0500, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64 bit, new
    >>>to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never enthusiastic about
    >>>computers with the OS installed and no clean, streight up OS installation
    >>>disc. What I would like to do is a clean reformat of the hard drive and
    >>>install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I do this, how?
    >>>
    >>>I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the table and
    >>>the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and mouse plugged into
    >>>USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >>>
    >>>thx
    >>>
    >>>Tom
    >>>

    >>What is Windows 7 Supreme?

    >I think that means it comes with pepperoni AND sausage.

    Good one, thanks <g>.
    RnR, May 13, 2011
  15. oh well

    Daddy Guest

    RnR wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 May 2011 22:56:51 -0400, mm <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 11 May 2011 07:11:50 -0500, "RnR" <> wrote:

    >>> What is Windows 7 Supreme?

    >> I think that means it comes with pepperoni AND sausage.
    >>

    > Good one, thanks <g>.

    "I think that means it comes with pepperoni AND sausage."

    Isn't that Windows Meat Lovers Edition? (It was a promotion with Pizza Hut.)

    Daddy
    Daddy, May 13, 2011
  16. oh well

    Ben Myers Guest

    On May 13, 9:06 am, Daddy <> wrote:
    > RnR wrote:
    > > On Wed, 11 May 2011 22:56:51 -0400, mm <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> I think that means it comes with pepperoni AND sausage.

    > > Good one, thanks <g>.

    > "I think that means it comes with pepperoni AND sausage."
    >
    > Isn't that Windows Meat Lovers Edition? (It was a promotion with Pizza Hut.)
    >
    > Daddy

    Talk about your high stress operating systems with all that
    cholesterol! ... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, May 14, 2011
  17. oh well

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 12, 8:45 am, Ben Myers <> wrote:

    > I'm sure that if there was a Supreme version of Windows 7, it would
    > have Digital Rights Management built into it by the record label.  And
    > then we could all visit the other Supremes, the ones who render all
    > those weighty legal opinions, to object to use of DRM.  The newspaper
    > headline could read: "The Supremes vacate DRM used by the Supremes'
    > label."  Possible SNL material?  ... Ben Myers

    M$ was contemplating the "Supreme" version, but had some copyright
    difficulties. Their "original" thoughts were (don't quote me):
    Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate,
    Encompass, Supreme, Mega, Stellar, and Deity. All in 33&one third and
    78.
    Bob Villa, May 14, 2011
  18. oh well

    Ben Myers Guest

    On May 14, 8:51 am, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On May 12, 8:45 am, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    >

    > > I'm sure that if there was a Supreme version of Windows 7, it would
    > > have Digital Rights Management built into it by the record label.  And
    > > then we could all visit the other Supremes, the ones who render all
    > > those weighty legal opinions, to object to use of DRM.  The newspaper
    > > headline could read: "The Supremes vacate DRM used by the Supremes'
    > > label."  Possible SNL material?  ... Ben Myers

    > M$ was contemplating the "Supreme" version, but had some copyright
    > difficulties. Their "original" thoughts were (don't quote me):
    > Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate,
    > Encompass, Supreme, Mega, Stellar, and Deity. All in 33&one third and
    > 78.

    You forgot to mention the Inter-Galactic edition, with Steve Ballmer
    dressed as Darth. Special extensions for gaming... Ben
    Ben Myers, May 15, 2011
  19. oh well

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 15, 7:56 am, Ben Myers <> wrote:

    > You forgot to mention the Inter-Galactic edition, with Steve Ballmer
    > dressed as Darth.  Special extensions for gaming... Ben

    I wasn't sure where it fit-in...and I didn't want to mention
    "extensions and joysticks" in our hallowed forum. ^L^
    Bob Villa, May 15, 2011
  20. oh well

    Tony Harding Guest

    On 05/11/11 10:23, Daddy wrote:
    > RnR wrote:
    >> On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:48:10 -0500, "oh well" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just got a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop. I'm new to Dell, new to 64
    >>> bit, new to Windows 7 Supreme, new to laptops. I was never
    >>> enthusiastic about computers with the OS installed and no clean,
    >>> streight up OS installation disc. What I would like to do is a clean
    >>> reformat of the hard drive and install my own Win7 or even XP. Can I
    >>> do this, how?
    >>>
    >>> I'm using it like a desktop now with the Dell on a shelf under the
    >>> table and the monitor cable in the video port, and the keyboard and
    >>> mouse plugged into USB ports and a Cat 5 to the router.
    >>>
    >>> thx
    >>>
    >>> Tom

    >> What is Windows 7 Supreme?

    Win 7 Ultimate perhaps?

    >> I mean where does it rank among other editions. I'm not aware nor heard of this edition and can't find it
    >> on the MS site so far. Maybe this is a Dell branded edition
    >> perhaps???

    > Instead of "Start", the button says "Stop - in the name of love."

    Ha, lol, good one (for old farts like me)!

    Back to OP, I assume your 15R did not come with a Win 7 DVD. I bought an
    XPS9100 from the Home & Home Office site last month and one of the
    options I specified was a Win 7 DVD, which is called "Recovery DVD for
    Windows 7 Professional OS, 64bit, English", $15, on Dell's Order
    Confirmation email. When it was delivered I did what you described
    (although I replaced rather than scrubbed the HDD), installed Win 7 Pro,
    64-bit, from the DVD and I was off & running. The XPS9100 was delivered
    04/19/11, so it's a month old today - I just love my new computer!

    I'd call Dell Sales Support/Customer Support and tell them you forgot to
    order the Win DVD. I think they'll send you one for $15, worst case
    situation.

    Tony

    PS: One advantage to preserving the HDD from Dell is I can restore the
    computer to the factory configuration by simply swapping HDDs and
    replacing/removing a few parts (i.e., my HDDs (4), the i7 975 EE chip,
    my video card and the Adaptec RAID card, all of which I owned before I
    bought the XPS9100). With the Dell HDD installed, the computer will boot
    as though it's straight from Dell, register with Dell & Microsoft, etc.
    Tony Harding, May 19, 2011