New Dells Still Have Recovery Partition?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mangyrat, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. Mangyrat

    Mangyrat Guest

    The inspiration 6400 I bought last week has one.
    ill most likely format it and install XP just to get rid of vista that came
    on it. so the partition is on big deal to me.

    1234, Mar 29, 2007

  3. Mangyrat

    S.Lewis Guest

    "1234" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
    > recovery
    > partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it did
    > not.
    >
    > Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me if it
    > came with the recovery partition?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ellen

    Ellen -

    How did you confirm that it's not there?

    Did you use the CTL+F11 hot key comb. at the Dell splash, or did you go into
    control panel and look at your disks via 'disk management'?

    Stew
    S.Lewis, Mar 29, 2007
  4. Mangyrat

    Tom Scales Guest

    "1234" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
    > recovery
    > partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it did
    > not.
    >
    > Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me if it
    > came with the recovery partition?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ellen

    The XPS410 does have a recovery partition. What happens when you press
    CTRL+F11? If it doesn't work, google DSRFix. This is a freeware program
    that will fix it, as long as the partition is intact.
    Tom Scales, Mar 29, 2007
  5. Mangyrat

    1234 Guest

    Wow. Is my face red! It indeed has a CTRL+F11 to a Dell PC Restore. And
    in Disk Management the Disk 0 - Basic 298.09GB Primary Partition was in 3
    sections:

    55MB FAT (EISA Configuration)
    (C:) 293.29GB NTFS (System)
    4.74GB FAT 32 (Unknown Partition)

    I think my original misconception came when I searched for "recovery" in
    Windows Help thinking it was Dell Help, and found nothing. We have an older
    HP with a Recovery Partition and if I remember correctly, the hidden
    partition is more clearly marked/obvious in routine use (labeled as Drive D
    and won't easily let you click on it). It was also clear about the need to
    create recovery disk(s).

    I'm figure it's still a good idea to create some kind of backup for the
    recovery partition. (I always wondered about a hidden partition saving the
    day if there's a hard drive failure.) An old posting referred to a
    Start/Programs/Dell OS Recovery CD, but I don't see one. I'll continue my
    research.

    Thank you all for your help.
    Ellen

    1234, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Mangyrat

    richard Guest

    Mangyrat wrote:
    > The inspiration 6400 I bought last week has one.
    > ill most likely format it and install XP just to get rid of vista that came
    > on it. so the partition is on big deal to me.
    >

    > "1234" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
    >> recovery
    >> partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it did
    >> not.
    >>
    >> Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me if it
    >> came with the recovery partition?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ellen

    I recently got the 6400 with XP before it went to Vista. How do you
    locate the hidden partition. I read something about Cntl-F11. Do you
    have to click on those keys during bootup, or what?
    richard, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Mangyrat

    Tom Scales Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > Mangyrat wrote:
    >> The inspiration 6400 I bought last week has one.
    >> ill most likely format it and install XP just to get rid of vista that
    >> came on it. so the partition is on big deal to me.
    >>

    >> "1234" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I bought a new XPS 400 from Costco about a year ago and it had the
    >>> recovery
    >>> partition. Several months later I bought another (XPS 410) and it did
    >>> not.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone bought one very recently from Costco.com and can tell me if
    >>> it came with the recovery partition?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Ellen
    >>>

    > I recently got the 6400 with XP before it went to Vista. How do you locate
    > the hidden partition. I read something about Cntl-F11. Do you have to
    > click on those keys during bootup, or what?

    Yes, when you see the Dell logo, as long as you haven't removed the
    partition. It will WIPE OUT everything on your machine though.
    Tom Scales, Mar 31, 2007
  8. Mangyrat

    richard Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > "richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Mangyrat wrote:
    >>> The inspiration 6400 I bought last week has one.
    >>> ill most likely format it and install XP just to get rid of vista
    >>> that came on it. so the partition is on big deal to me.
    >>>

    >>> "1234" <> wrote in message

    >> I recently got the 6400 with XP before it went to Vista. How do you
    >> locate the hidden partition. I read something about Cntl-F11. Do you
    >> have to click on those keys during bootup, or what?

    > Yes, when you see the Dell logo, as long as you haven't removed the
    > partition. It will WIPE OUT everything on your machine though.

    Yowza, I'm glad I asked. So ctl-f11 activates the hidden partition. I
    had thought that one could merely examine its contents....

    Thanks
    richard, Mar 31, 2007
  9. Mangyrat

    Tom Scales Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >>
    >> "richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> I recently got the 6400 with XP before it went to Vista. How do you
    >>> locate the hidden partition. I read something about Cntl-F11. Do you
    >>> have to click on those keys during bootup, or what?

    >> Yes, when you see the Dell logo, as long as you haven't removed the
    >> partition. It will WIPE OUT everything on your machine though.

    > Yowza, I'm glad I asked. So ctl-f11 activates the hidden partition. I had
    > thought that one could merely examine its contents....
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't remember if you can or not. It warns you before it kills anything.
    As I recall, it is a Ghost partition, so if you have Ghost....
    Tom Scales, Mar 31, 2007
  10. On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:57:48 -0800, "1234" <> wrote:

    >Wow. Is my face red! It indeed has a CTRL+F11 to a Dell PC Restore. And
    >in Disk Management the Disk 0 - Basic 298.09GB Primary Partition was in 3
    >sections:
    >
    >55MB FAT (EISA Configuration)
    >(C:) 293.29GB NTFS (System)
    >4.74GB FAT 32 (Unknown Partition)
    >
    >I think my original misconception came when I searched for "recovery" in
    >Windows Help thinking it was Dell Help, and found nothing. We have an older
    >HP with a Recovery Partition and if I remember correctly, the hidden
    >partition is more clearly marked/obvious in routine use (labeled as Drive D
    >and won't easily let you click on it). It was also clear about the need to
    >create recovery disk(s).
    >
    >I'm figure it's still a good idea to create some kind of backup for the
    >recovery partition. (I always wondered about a hidden partition saving the
    >day if there's a hard drive failure.) An old posting referred to a
    >Start/Programs/Dell OS Recovery CD, but I don't see one. I'll continue my
    >research.

    As I understand it there is no way to backup the partition - you are
    given OS install disks if you want to just install the OS again.
    However, Acronis will do it, if you backup the entire disk.

    Andrew.
    Andrew Hodgson, Apr 6, 2007
  11. Mangyrat

    Tom Scales Guest

    "Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:57:48 -0800, "1234" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Wow. Is my face red! It indeed has a CTRL+F11 to a Dell PC Restore. And
    >>in Disk Management the Disk 0 - Basic 298.09GB Primary Partition was in 3
    >>sections:
    >>
    >>55MB FAT (EISA Configuration)
    >>(C:) 293.29GB NTFS (System)
    >>4.74GB FAT 32 (Unknown Partition)
    >>
    >>I think my original misconception came when I searched for "recovery" in
    >>Windows Help thinking it was Dell Help, and found nothing. We have an
    >>older
    >>HP with a Recovery Partition and if I remember correctly, the hidden
    >>partition is more clearly marked/obvious in routine use (labeled as Drive
    >>and won't easily let you click on it). It was also clear about the need
    >>create recovery disk(s).
    >>
    >>I'm figure it's still a good idea to create some kind of backup for the
    >>recovery partition. (I always wondered about a hidden partition saving
    >>the
    >>day if there's a hard drive failure.) An old posting referred to a
    >>Start/Programs/Dell OS Recovery CD, but I don't see one. I'll continue my
    >>research.

    > As I understand it there is no way to backup the partition - you are
    > given OS install disks if you want to just install the OS again.
    > However, Acronis will do it, if you backup the entire disk.
    >
    > Andrew.

    If you restore it, you likely have to use DSRFix to make it work again.
    Google it
    Tom Scales, Apr 6, 2007
  12. On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:17:12 -0400, "Tom Scales" <>
    wrote:

    >"Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:57:48 -0800, "1234" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Wow. Is my face red! It indeed has a CTRL+F11 to a Dell PC Restore. And
    >>>in Disk Management the Disk 0 - Basic 298.09GB Primary Partition was in 3
    >>>sections:
    >>>
    >>>55MB FAT (EISA Configuration)
    >>>(C:) 293.29GB NTFS (System)
    >>>4.74GB FAT 32 (Unknown Partition)
    >>>
    >>>I think my original misconception came when I searched for "recovery" in
    >>>Windows Help thinking it was Dell Help, and found nothing. We have an
    >>>older
    >>>HP with a Recovery Partition and if I remember correctly, the hidden
    >>>partition is more clearly marked/obvious in routine use (labeled as Drive
    >>>and won't easily let you click on it). It was also clear about the need
    >>>create recovery disk(s).
    >>>
    >>>I'm figure it's still a good idea to create some kind of backup for the
    >>>recovery partition. (I always wondered about a hidden partition saving
    >>>the
    >>>day if there's a hard drive failure.) An old posting referred to a
    >>>Start/Programs/Dell OS Recovery CD, but I don't see one. I'll continue my
    >>>research.

    >> As I understand it there is no way to backup the partition - you are
    >> given OS install disks if you want to just install the OS again.
    >> However, Acronis will do it, if you backup the entire disk.
    >>
    >> Andrew.

    >If you restore it, you likely have to use DSRFix to make it work again.

    No, I tested a restore using Acronis and it works, it also will
    reimage the disk fine, and put the diagnostics partition back so it
    displays the EULA.

    Andrew.
    Andrew Hodgson, Apr 7, 2007
  13. Mangyrat

    > On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:17:12 -0400, "Tom Scales" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message

    >>> As I understand it there is no way to backup the partition - you are
    >>> given OS install disks if you want to just install the OS again.
    >>> However, Acronis will do it, if you backup the entire disk.
    >>>
    >>> Andrew.

    >>If you restore it, you likely have to use DSRFix to make it work again.

    > No, I tested a restore using Acronis and it works, it also will
    > reimage the disk fine, and put the diagnostics partition back so it
    > displays the EULA.
    >
    > Andrew.

    You actually did a restore? That's cool.
    Tom Scales, Apr 7, 2007
  14. On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 08:55:56 -0400, "Tom Scales" <>
    wrote:

    >"Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:17:12 -0400, "Tom Scales" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>>"Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    >>>If you restore it, you likely have to use DSRFix to make it work again.

    >> No, I tested a restore using Acronis and it works, it also will
    >> reimage the disk fine, and put the diagnostics partition back so it
    >> displays the EULA.
    >>
    >> Andrew.

    >You actually did a restore? That's cool.

    I restored first killing the RAID0 volume to ensure the data was not
    recoverable - I did create it again using the values that Dell used
    originally (they gave it another name other than the default IIRC).

    I restored using the whole disk option, then after rebooting I was
    able to factory reset the second partition by the use of the Dell
    restore system by Symantec.

    Andrew.
    Andrew Hodgson, Apr 8, 2007
  15. Andrew Hodgson;27707 Wrote:
    > On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 08:55:56 -0400, "Tom Scales" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:17:12 -0400, "Tom Scales

    > <>

    > [...]

    > are

    > again.
    > >>
    > >> No, I tested a restore using Acronis and it works, it also will
    > >> reimage the disk fine, and put the diagnostics partition back so it
    > >> displays the EULA.
    > >>
    > >> Andrew.

    > >You actually did a restore? That's cool.

    > I restored first killing the RAID0 volume to ensure the data was not
    > recoverable - I did create it again using the values that Dell used
    > originally (they gave it another name other than the default IIRC).
    >
    > I restored using the whole disk option, then after rebooting I was
    > able to factory reset the second partition by the use of the Dell
    > restore system by Symantec.
    >
    > Andrew.

    Hi!
    I'm new on this of fixing computers, but i have a problem.
    I'm trying to use the recovery function on a Dell XPS 410, but when
    put the "Ctrl+F11" key nothing happens.
    And when i put the xp disc on the cd drive and try to format, it show
    me 4 "unknow partitions".
    Can somebody told me what to do
    Darkhorse2506, Mar 7, 2011
  16. Mangyrat

    Daddy Guest

    Darkhorse2506 wrote:
    > Andrew Hodgson;27707 Wrote:
    >> On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 08:55:56 -0400, "Tom Scales" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message

    >> <>

    >> [...]

    >> are

    >> again.

    >>> You actually did a restore? That's cool.

    >> I restored first killing the RAID0 volume to ensure the data was not
    >> recoverable - I did create it again using the values that Dell used
    >> originally (they gave it another name other than the default IIRC).
    >>
    >> I restored using the whole disk option, then after rebooting I was
    >> able to factory reset the second partition by the use of the Dell
    >> restore system by Symantec.
    >>
    >> Andrew.

    > Hi!
    > I'm new on this of fixing computers, but i have a problem.
    > I'm trying to use the recovery function on a Dell XPS 410, but when i
    > put the "Ctrl+F11" key nothing happens.
    > And when i put the xp disc on the cd drive and try to format, it shows
    > me 4 "unknow partitions".
    > Can somebody told me what to do?

    Contact Dell technical support. It's their recovery function. They will
    guide you through, step by step.

    You're wise to admit that you're 'new on this fixing of computers'. Too
    many inexperienced users follow their own advice with bad results. Avoid
    that.

    Daddy
    Daddy, Mar 8, 2011
  17. Mangyrat

    Justin Guest

    In article <il5r57$9e8$-september.org>,
    Daddy <> wrote:

    > Darkhorse2506 wrote:
    > > Andrew Hodgson;27707 Wrote:

    > >> <>
    > >> [...]
    > >> are

    > >> again.

    > >> I restored first killing the RAID0 volume to ensure the data was not
    > >> recoverable - I did create it again using the values that Dell used
    > >> originally (they gave it another name other than the default IIRC).
    > >>
    > >> I restored using the whole disk option, then after rebooting I was
    > >> able to factory reset the second partition by the use of the Dell
    > >> restore system by Symantec.
    > >>
    > >> Andrew.

    > > Hi!
    > > I'm new on this of fixing computers, but i have a problem.
    > > I'm trying to use the recovery function on a Dell XPS 410, but when i
    > > put the "Ctrl+F11" key nothing happens.
    > > And when i put the xp disc on the cd drive and try to format, it shows
    > > me 4 "unknow partitions".
    > > Can somebody told me what to do?
    > >

    > Contact Dell technical support. It's their recovery function. They will
    > guide you through, step by step.
    >
    > You're wise to admit that you're 'new on this fixing of computers'. Too
    > many inexperienced users follow their own advice with bad results. Avoid
    > that.
    >
    > Daddy

    Has Dell jumped on the bandwagon and started providing recovery
    partitions in lieu on CD/DVD media?
    Justin, Mar 10, 2011
  18. Mangyrat

    Daddy Guest

    <snip>

    > Has Dell jumped on the bandwagon and started providing recovery
    > partitions in lieu on CD/DVD media?

    Good morning, Rip Van Winkle.

    Daddy
    Daddy, Mar 10, 2011
  19. Mangyrat

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Mar 9, 7:32 pm, Justin <> wrote:
    > In article <il5r57$-september.org>,
    >

    >  Daddy <> wrote:
    > > Darkhorse2506 wrote:

    > > > Hi!
    > > > I'm new on this of fixing computers, but i have a problem.
    > > > I'm trying to use the recovery function on a Dell XPS 410, but when i
    > > > put  the "Ctrl+F11" key nothing happens.
    > > > And when i put the xp disc on the cd drive and try to format, it shows
    > > > me 4 "unknow partitions".
    > > > Can somebody told me what to do?

    > > Contact Dell technical support. It's their recovery function. They will
    > > guide you through, step by step.

    > > You're wise to admit that you're 'new on this fixing of computers'. Too
    > > many inexperienced users follow their own advice with bad results. Avoid
    > > that.

    > > Daddy

    > Has Dell jumped on the bandwagon and started providing recovery
    > partitions in lieu on CD/DVD media?

    I bought a new Vostro last month from SB and it came with OS and
    driver discs. (also has the partition)
    Bob Villa, Mar 14, 2011
  20. Mangyrat

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Justin wrote:

    > In article <il5r57$9e8$-september.org>,
    > Daddy <> wrote:
    >
    > > Darkhorse2506 wrote:

    > > > Hi!
    > > > I'm new on this of fixing computers, but i have a problem.
    > > > I'm trying to use the recovery function on a Dell XPS 410, but when i
    > > > put the "Ctrl+F11" key nothing happens.
    > > > And when i put the xp disc on the cd drive and try to format, it shows
    > > > me 4 "unknow partitions".
    > > > Can somebody told me what to do?
    > > >

    > > Contact Dell technical support. It's their recovery function. They will
    > > guide you through, step by step.
    > >
    > > You're wise to admit that you're 'new on this fixing of computers'. Too
    > > many inexperienced users follow their own advice with bad results. Avoid
    > > that.
    > >
    > > Daddy

    > Has Dell jumped on the bandwagon and started providing recovery
    > partitions in lieu on CD/DVD media?

    I call and get the CD/DVD for the refurbished small business outlet machines
    that don't have them. I don't know if it may cost you something or not; they
    haven't charged me but maybe they're being nice to a repeat customer.

    A recovery partition doesn't do you any good if you have to replace the HD,
    is my thinking.

    Ron Hardin, Mar 14, 2011