    I don't know whether everybody already knew about it.

    Enjoy! :)

    Jim

    Jim, May 13, 2007

  2. Jim

    Richard Guest

    In his posting of Sat, 12 May 2007, Jim writes
    >I was cruising the new Tyan site tonight, and I noticed a new 105 BIOS
    >for the K8WE Thunder (S2895) motherboard. It installed like a charm.
    >I don't know whether everybody already knew about it.
    >
    >Enjoy! :)
    >
    >Jim

    Jim, thanks for that but what are the advantages of installing these new
    BIOS please. I purchased one of these boards 18 months ago.

    Thanks
    --
    Richard

    Richard, May 24, 2007

  3. Richard wrote:
    > In his posting of Sat, 12 May 2007, Jim writes
    >> I was cruising the new Tyan site tonight, and I noticed a new 105 BIOS
    >> for the K8WE Thunder (S2895) motherboard. It installed like a charm.
    >> I don't know whether everybody already knew about it.
    >>
    >> Enjoy! :)
    >>
    >> Jim
    >>

    > Jim, thanks for that but what are the advantages of installing these new
    > BIOS please. I purchased one of these boards 18 months ago.
    >
    > Thanks

    After trying it out I found the following problems:
    1. PCI-X slots don't work. Only the PCI and PCI Express were operational.
    2. SCSI doesn't work
    3. No boot option for net
    4. Max speed on SATA was 1.5 Gb/s instead of 3.0 (Did I measure this
    with a bit speedometer? No, I looked at the messages that Linux emits
    while it's booting.)
    After going back to 1.0.4, these problems went away. BTW, I am running
    Linux 2.6.22.9 at the moment (Fedora Core 6) and updated numerous times
    while 1.0.5 firmware was installed. All were the same. I don't know how
    it works with Win, don't have it installed on this machine.
    This makes me wonder about Tyan's QA.
    Oh, I didn't lose any functionality going back to 1.0.4. So if you want
    to cripple your computer, go ahead and install 1.0.5. Of course, your
    results may be totally different. I can say that I tried it and it
    didn't like it.

    Bob

    Bob Gleitsmann, Oct 14, 2007
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, Bob Gleitsmann <> wrote:

    > After trying it out I found the following problems:
    > 1. PCI-X slots don't work. Only the PCI and PCI Express were operational.

    Bob,

    I'm *sorry* about your problems, but I did not have them. I am using
    *both* the PCI-X and PCI-E slots, and both continued to work.

    > 2. SCSI doesn't work

    I am also using the onboard SCSI, and it has continued to work.
    However, I am *not* using the driver from Tyan; I am using a driver
    from LSI Logic. I took a chance, and it worked. I have a SCSI tape
    drive.

    > 3. No boot option for net

    I have *not* checked this.

    > 4. Max speed on SATA was 1.5 Gb/s instead of 3.0 (Did I measure this
    > with a bit speedometer? No, I looked at the messages that Linux emits
    > while it's booting.)

    I am using a 3ware/AMCC SATA-3 controller (9550 SX), so I am not
    running this off the motherboard.

    > After going back to 1.0.4, these problems went away. BTW, I am running
    > Linux 2.6.22.9 at the moment (Fedora Core 6) and updated numerous times
    > while 1.0.5 firmware was installed. All were the same. I don't know how
    > it works with Win, don't have it installed on this machine.
    > This makes me wonder about Tyan's QA.
    > Oh, I didn't lose any functionality going back to 1.0.4. So if you want
    > to cripple your computer, go ahead and install 1.0.5. Of course, your
    > results may be totally different. I can say that I tried it and it
    > didn't like it.

    Sorry I recommended the new BIOS. Obviously it is *not* for
    *everybody!*

    Jim

    Jim, Oct 14, 2007
  5. Jim

    midol Guest

    On Oct 14, 9:08 am, Jim <> wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, Bob Gleitsmann <> wrote:
    >
    > > After trying it out I found the following problems:
    > > 1. PCI-X slots don't work. Only the PCI and PCI Express were operational.

    > Bob,
    >
    > I'm *sorry* about your problems, but I did not have them. I am using
    > *both* the PCI-X and PCI-E slots, and both continued to work.
    >
    > > 2. SCSI doesn't work

    > I am also using the onboard SCSI, and it has continued to work.
    > However, I am *not* using the driver from Tyan; I am using a driver
    > from LSI Logic. I took a chance, and it worked. I have a SCSI tape
    > drive.
    >
    > > 3. No boot option for net

    > I have *not* checked this.
    >
    > > 4. Max speed on SATA was 1.5 Gb/s instead of 3.0 (Did I measure this
    > > with a bit speedometer? No, I looked at the messages that Linux emits
    > > while it's booting.)

    > I am using a 3ware/AMCC SATA-3 controller (9550 SX), so I am not
    > running this off the motherboard.
    >
    > > After going back to 1.0.4, these problems went away. BTW, I am running
    > > Linux 2.6.22.9 at the moment (Fedora Core 6) and updated numerous times
    > > while 1.0.5 firmware was installed. All were the same. I don't know how
    > > it works with Win, don't have it installed on this machine.
    > > This makes me wonder about Tyan's QA.
    > > Oh, I didn't lose any functionality going back to 1.0.4. So if you want
    > > to cripple your computer, go ahead and install 1.0.5. Of course, your
    > > results may be totally different. I can say that I tried it and it
    > > didn't like it.

    > Sorry I recommended the new BIOS. Obviously it is *not* for
    > *everybody!*
    >
    > Jim

    I wonder about the half speed SATA drive. I bought a seagate 320 sata
    and found it was shipped from the factory with a jumper limiting it to
    half speed. Removed the jumper, full speed operation, and quite
    reliable. It looks like that's what we have here.

    Dave

    midol, Oct 15, 2007
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    > I wonder about the half speed SATA drive. I bought a seagate 320 sata
    > and found it was shipped from the factory with a jumper limiting it to
    > half speed. Removed the jumper, full speed operation, and quite
    > reliable. It looks like that's what we have here.

    Midol,

    I telephoned Seagate earlier about the settings of their SATA drives.
    (I am running two of them in RAID 0 in a different machine.) They
    said that they jumpered--at that time--*all* of their drives as SATA 1
    because *most* people did *not* have SATA-2 controllers. Hitachi, on
    the other hand, has no jumpers on their drives, and they will work
    full-speed at either SATA 1 or SATA 2 depending on the controller.

    Just some interesting trivia.

    Jim

    Jim, Oct 16, 2007
  7. midol wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 9:08 am, Jim <> wrote:
    >> On Oct 13, 9:00 pm, Bob Gleitsmann <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> After trying it out I found the following problems:
    >>> 1. PCI-X slots don't work. Only the PCI and PCI Express were operational.

    >> Bob,
    >>
    >> I'm *sorry* about your problems, but I did not have them. I am using
    >> *both* the PCI-X and PCI-E slots, and both continued to work.
    >>
    >>> 2. SCSI doesn't work

    >> I am also using the onboard SCSI, and it has continued to work.
    >> However, I am *not* using the driver from Tyan; I am using a driver
    >> from LSI Logic. I took a chance, and it worked. I have a SCSI tape
    >> drive.
    >>
    >>> 3. No boot option for net

    >> I have *not* checked this.
    >>
    >>> 4. Max speed on SATA was 1.5 Gb/s instead of 3.0 (Did I measure this
    >>> with a bit speedometer? No, I looked at the messages that Linux emits
    >>> while it's booting.)

    >> I am using a 3ware/AMCC SATA-3 controller (9550 SX), so I am not
    >> running this off the motherboard.
    >>
    >>> After going back to 1.0.4, these problems went away. BTW, I am running
    >>> Linux 2.6.22.9 at the moment (Fedora Core 6) and updated numerous times
    >>> while 1.0.5 firmware was installed. All were the same. I don't know how
    >>> it works with Win, don't have it installed on this machine.
    >>> This makes me wonder about Tyan's QA.
    >>> Oh, I didn't lose any functionality going back to 1.0.4. So if you want
    >>> to cripple your computer, go ahead and install 1.0.5. Of course, your
    >>> results may be totally different. I can say that I tried it and it
    >>> didn't like it.

    >> Sorry I recommended the new BIOS. Obviously it is *not* for
    >> *everybody!*
    >>
    >> Jim

    > I wonder about the half speed SATA drive. I bought a seagate 320 sata
    > and found it was shipped from the factory with a jumper limiting it to
    > half speed. Removed the jumper, full speed operation, and quite
    > reliable. It looks like that's what we have here.
    >
    > Dave

    I don't think that is what caused the problem as I had full speed with
    the original v1.01 BIOS that came with the motherboard and also with V
    1.04. I made no changes to the disk drive in getting the different results.

    Bob Gleitsmann, Oct 26, 2007