New MacBook running slow

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Conanu, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. Conanu

    Conanu Guest

    Hi,

    I just bought my first Mac - the new MacBook with the 2 GHz Core Duo,
    and 512 MB ram, and the shared video ram.

    I thought that this would be comparible in speed to my desktop PC which
    is a Dell Pentium 4, 1.6 GHz, 512 MB ram, with a G Force 2 graphics
    card.

    Sadly, I am finding the MacBook incredibly slow for running Excel,
    Word, Firefox, Thunderbird - just about everthing.

    Would buying more RAM be the solution, or would I need to upgrade to
    the MacBook Pro to get the designated video card? What notebook would
    be comparible?

    I'm not sure what to do because I can't keep working with this speed!
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    Conanu, Jun 16, 2006

  2. Conanu

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <>,
    "Conanu" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought my first Mac - the new MacBook with the 2 GHz Core Duo,
    > and 512 MB ram, and the shared video ram.
    >
    > I thought that this would be comparible in speed to my desktop PC
    > which is a Dell Pentium 4, 1.6 GHz, 512 MB ram, with a G Force 2
    > graphics card.
    >
    > Sadly, I am finding the MacBook incredibly slow for running Excel,
    > Word, Firefox, Thunderbird - just about everthing.
    >
    > Would buying more RAM be the solution, or would I need to upgrade to
    > the MacBook Pro to get the designated video card? What notebook would
    > be comparible?
    >
    > I'm not sure what to do because I can't keep working with this speed!
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    First install more RAM. 1 GB minimum, or stuff it up to the maximum.
    512 MB is really the bare minimum.

    Also check your energy saver settings under System Preferences.
    Tim McNamara, Jun 16, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    Conanu <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I just bought my first Mac - the new MacBook with the 2 GHz Core Duo,
    >and 512 MB ram, and the shared video ram.
    >
    >I thought that this would be comparible in speed to my desktop PC which
    >is a Dell Pentium 4, 1.6 GHz, 512 MB ram, with a G Force 2 graphics
    >card.

    Judging from reports on the net, the laptop should be much faster.

    >Sadly, I am finding the MacBook incredibly slow for running Excel,
    >Word, Firefox, Thunderbird - just about everthing.

    Excel and Word run in emulation until the next release of Microsoft Office.
    Firefox and thunderbird are native and should be fast, but they may suffer
    from other effects such as the network.

    >Would buying more RAM be the solution, or would I need to upgrade to
    >the MacBook Pro to get the designated video card? What notebook would
    >be comparible?

    Other notebooks aren't going to be that much faster. More memory might
    indeed be helpful. 1gig is probably a good lower limit on modern machines.
    The video card should be more than adequate for your applications.
    Your experience doesn't seem typical.
    Daniel Packman, Jun 16, 2006
  4. Conanu

    Jon Guest

    Conanu <> wrote:

    > Sadly, I am finding the MacBook incredibly slow for running Excel,
    > Word, Firefox, Thunderbird - just about everthing.

    Excel and Word are slow for the time being because they have not been
    adapted to run fast on Intel Macs yet. We may have to wait for the next
    release of Offfice for the Mac for that, unfortunately.

    Firefox and Thuncerbird are "Universal" though, and should use the Intel
    processor to its full potential. Your report seems to go against most
    others I have seen, although I am not so lucky that I have an Intel Mac
    yet, so I can't test it myself. :-(

    In general I would absolutely recommend another 512 MB RAM on any Mac OS
    X machine, Intel or not. Mac OS X _loves_ RAM.
    --
    /Jon
    For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
    Jon, Jun 16, 2006
  5. Conanu

    Randy Howard Guest

    Jon wrote
    (in article
    <1hh1nq2.1h0ybs7hg0zowN%>):

    > Conanu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sadly, I am finding the MacBook incredibly slow for running Excel,
    >> Word, Firefox, Thunderbird - just about everthing.

    > Excel and Word are slow for the time being because they have not been
    > adapted to run fast on Intel Macs yet. We may have to wait for the next
    > release of Offfice for the Mac for that, unfortunately.

    Why buy a Mac and then run Microsoft software on it? The first
    thing I did after account creation when my macbook pro arrived
    was to expunge the trial-ware/virus-ware MS Office from the hard
    drive.

    > Firefox and Thuncerbird are "Universal" though, and should use the Intel
    > processor to its full potential.

    It's possible he somehow installed a PPC version though, or is
    it?

    > Your report seems to go against most others I have seen, although I am not
    > so lucky that I have an Intel Mac yet, so I can't test it myself. :-(

    I have an Intel mbp, same clock speed as the OP, but with 2GB of
    RAM. It flies. The only exception to that was that Windows
    sharing bug I ran into that was jacking the cpu load out of
    control until I found the source.

    I would recommend he either use activity monitor to look at CPU
    load, memory use, paging, etc. to try and determine if anything
    unexpected is going on.

    > In general I would absolutely recommend another 512 MB RAM on any Mac OS
    > X machine, Intel or not. Mac OS X _loves_ RAM.

    The extra memory could be a big factor, I have only used it with
    larger amounts, but if it is anything like my older PPC
    Powermac, which came with 512 originally, 512 just isn't
    suitable running most applications. Apple should probably ship
    1GB minimum across the board.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, Jun 16, 2006
  6. Conanu

    Conanu Guest

    Thanks for your help. Any idea when the next release of Office will be?

    Also, do you know if is there any way to turn off the animations on the
    menus in office. It is very slow to change options when you have to
    wait for the menus to change?

    Where would I find the "reports on the net" you mentioned? I wouldn't
    mind taking a look at what others have to say about the MacBook.

    Thanks again everyone for your responses.

    -Conan

    Conanu, Jun 16, 2006
  7. Conanu wrote:
    > Thanks for your help. Any idea when the next release of Office will be?
    >
    > Also, do you know if is there any way to turn off the animations on the
    > menus in office. It is very slow to change options when you have to
    > wait for the menus to change?

    Don't use anything but the individual modules.

    And please bottom post after trimming.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 16, 2006
  8. Conanu

    MikeGreiner Guest

    I just bought a new MacBook (Pro) also. I'm picking it up tonight.

    I've been a mac user for years but this will be my first experience
    with an Intel mac.

    I've been wondering... how can one tell if an application is running
    natively or via Rosetta? (apart from the speed)
    MikeGreiner, Jun 16, 2006
  9. Conanu

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    "MikeGreiner" <> wrote:

    > I just bought a new MacBook (Pro) also. I'm picking it up tonight.
    >
    > I've been a mac user for years but this will be my first experience
    > with an Intel mac.
    >
    > I've been wondering... how can one tell if an application is running
    > natively or via Rosetta? (apart from the speed)

    Do a "Get Info" on the application; that will show either "Universal" or
    "PowerPC".

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Stiller, Jun 16, 2006
  10. Conanu

    Jon Guest

    Randy Howard <> wrote:

    > Jon wrote
    > (in article
    > <1hh1nq2.1h0ybs7hg0zowN%>):
    >
    > > Conanu <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Sadly, I am finding the MacBook incredibly slow for running Excel,
    > >> Word, Firefox, Thunderbird - just about everthing.

    > > Excel and Word are slow for the time being because they have not been
    > > adapted to run fast on Intel Macs yet. We may have to wait for the next
    > > release of Offfice for the Mac for that, unfortunately.

    > Why buy a Mac and then run Microsoft software on it? The first
    > thing I did after account creation when my macbook pro arrived
    > was to expunge the trial-ware/virus-ware MS Office from the hard
    > drive.

    Well - for many people it really is the only game in town as far as
    so-called Office software is concerned. If you want or need real MS
    Office compatibility at work or at home, no hassles, then MS Office is
    the name of that game. And very, very many users need that.

    NeoOffice / OpenOffice just don't cut it - yet.

    > > Firefox and Thuncerbird are "Universal" though, and should use the Intel
    > > processor to its full potential.

    > It's possible he somehow installed a PPC version though, or is
    > it?

    It is possible, of course, though AFAIK, both have shipped as Universals
    for some months now.

    <snip>

    > > In general I would absolutely recommend another 512 MB RAM on any Mac OS
    > > X machine, Intel or not. Mac OS X _loves_ RAM.

    > The extra memory could be a big factor, I have only used it with
    > larger amounts, but if it is anything like my older PPC
    > Powermac, which came with 512 originally, 512 just isn't
    > suitable running most applications. Apple should probably ship
    > 1GB minimum across the board.

    I agree. And with RAM prices as low as they are now, get at least the
    other 512.
    Jon, Jun 16, 2006
  11. Conanu

    Randy Howard Guest

    MikeGreiner wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > I just bought a new MacBook (Pro) also. I'm picking it up tonight.
    >
    > I've been a mac user for years but this will be my first experience
    > with an Intel mac.
    >
    > I've been wondering... how can one tell if an application is running
    > natively or via Rosetta? (apart from the speed)

    If you fire up activity monitor, there is a "Kind" column that
    says "Intel" or "PowerPC".

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, Jun 16, 2006
  12. Conanu

    Randy Howard Guest

    Jon wrote
    (in article
    <1hh1we4.55iweg160icxeN%>):

    > Randy Howard <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jon wrote
    >> (in article
    >> <1hh1nq2.1h0ybs7hg0zowN%>):

    >>> Excel and Word are slow for the time being because they have not been
    >>> adapted to run fast on Intel Macs yet. We may have to wait for the next
    >>> release of Offfice for the Mac for that, unfortunately.

    >> Why buy a Mac and then run Microsoft software on it? The first
    >> thing I did after account creation when my macbook pro arrived
    >> was to expunge the trial-ware/virus-ware MS Office from the hard
    >> drive.

    > Well - for many people it really is the only game in town as far as
    > so-called Office software is concerned.

    I guess I'm fortunate. I find very little need for office
    compatibility anymore. so many things are on the web, in PDF,
    etc. The main exception being excel spreadsheets, which I
    happily don't use very often.

    For presentations, Keynote is far superior.

    > If you want or need real MS
    > Office compatibility at work or at home, no hassles, then MS Office is
    > the name of that game. And very, very many users need that.

    If you are going to run Microsoft crapware, at least do it in a
    sandbox, like Parallels.

    > NeoOffice / OpenOffice just don't cut it - yet.

    It's more than sufficient for what I need, but I don't claim to
    be 'typical' either.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, Jun 16, 2006
  13. Conanu

    jeff Guest

    Jon wrote:
    > NeoOffice / OpenOffice just don't cut it - yet.

    OpenOffice "cuts it" pretty well for me, and for plenty of others. I'm
    constantly amazed that people pay hundreds of $$ to Microsoft for a
    couple of additional features and a bit of glitz.

    Jeff
    jeff, Jun 16, 2006
  14. Conanu

    Randy Howard Guest

    jeff wrote
    (in article <44932bc0$0$96961$>):

    > Jon wrote:
    >> NeoOffice / OpenOffice just don't cut it - yet.
    >>

    > OpenOffice "cuts it" pretty well for me, and for plenty of others. I'm
    > constantly amazed that people pay hundreds of $$ to Microsoft for a
    > couple of additional features and a bit of glitz.

    The weak spot in OpenOffice is the presentation module. It's
    even worse than powerpoint, and the failures there are not all
    'glitz'.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, Jun 16, 2006
  15. Randy Howard wrote:
    > MikeGreiner wrote
    > (in article
    > <>):
    >
    >> I just bought a new MacBook (Pro) also. I'm picking it up tonight.
    >>
    >> I've been a mac user for years but this will be my first experience
    >> with an Intel mac.
    >>
    >> I've been wondering... how can one tell if an application is running
    >> natively or via Rosetta? (apart from the speed)

    > If you fire up activity monitor, there is a "Kind" column that
    > says "Intel" or "PowerPC".

    Ah! There will be after going to View->Columns and choosing kind, that
    is. Glad to know of it.

    Everything was as expected, except:

    DuoCS -owned by root- a PowerPC module.

    What might that be?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 16, 2006
  16. Conanu

    Steve Hix Guest

    In article <>,
    "MikeGreiner" <> wrote:

    > I just bought a new MacBook (Pro) also. I'm picking it up tonight.
    >
    > I've been a mac user for years but this will be my first experience
    > with an Intel mac.
    >
    > I've been wondering... how can one tell if an application is running
    > natively or via Rosetta? (apart from the speed)

    That's not even a good indication for a lot of applications.

    Meanwhile:

    Run System Profiler (in /Applications/Utilities/). Select "Applications"
    under the "Software" tab.

    One of the report columns is "Kind"; you can option-drag it over next to
    the "Application Name" column to see what you've got more easily.

    There's no point in keeping Classic-only applications on your MacBook
    Pro, assuming that you brought them over from an older Mac.
    Steve Hix, Jun 17, 2006
  17. Conanu

    Randy Howard Guest

    John McWilliams wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Randy Howard wrote:
    >> MikeGreiner wrote
    >> (in article
    >> <>):
    >>
    >>> I just bought a new MacBook (Pro) also. I'm picking it up tonight.
    >>>
    >>> I've been a mac user for years but this will be my first experience
    >>> with an Intel mac.
    >>>
    >>> I've been wondering... how can one tell if an application is running
    >>> natively or via Rosetta? (apart from the speed)

    >> If you fire up activity monitor, there is a "Kind" column that
    >> says "Intel" or "PowerPC".

    > Ah! There will be after going to View->Columns and choosing kind, that
    > is. Glad to know of it.

    I think it was on by default on mine, as I don't recall doing
    anything to change it, it was just there.

    > Everything was as expected, except:
    >>

    > DuoCS -owned by root- a PowerPC module.

    No idea. google doesn't offer anything up easily either.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, Jun 17, 2006
  18. Randy Howard wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    >> Randy Howard wrote:
    >>> MikeGreiner wrote
    >>> (in article
    >>> <>):

    >>> If you fire up activity monitor, there is a "Kind" column that
    >>> says "Intel" or "PowerPC".

    >> Ah! There will be after going to View->Columns and choosing kind, that
    >> is. Glad to know of it.

    > I think it was on by default on mine, as I don't recall doing
    > anything to change it, it was just there.

    Probably was that way; I forget sometimes that I plotzed my G-5's stuff
    onto this after partitioning and reinstalling.

    >> Everything was as expected, except:
    >> DuoCS -owned by root- a PowerPC module.

    > No idea. google doesn't offer anything up easily either.

    Hmm. Wonder it it's also something from the G-5....

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 17, 2006
  19. Conanu

    Steve Hix Guest

    In article <>,
    Randy Howard <> wrote:

    > John McWilliams wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    > > Randy Howard wrote:
    > >> MikeGreiner wrote
    > >> (in article
    > >> <>):

    > >> If you fire up activity monitor, there is a "Kind" column that
    > >> says "Intel" or "PowerPC".

    > > Ah! There will be after going to View->Columns and choosing kind, that
    > > is. Glad to know of it.

    > I think it was on by default on mine, as I don't recall doing
    > anything to change it, it was just there.
    >
    > > Everything was as expected, except:
    > >>

    > > DuoCS -owned by root- a PowerPC module.

    > No idea. google doesn't offer anything up easily either.

    It might be something that arrived with the PowerBook Duo 2300, which
    was the first Duo with a PPC CPU? Can't imagine what it might do,
    though.
    Steve Hix, Jun 17, 2006
  20. Steve Hix wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Randy Howard <> wrote:
    >
    >> John McWilliams wrote
    >> (in article <>):

    >>> Ah! There will be after going to View->Columns and choosing kind, that
    >>> is. Glad to know of it.

    >> I think it was on by default on mine, as I don't recall doing
    >> anything to change it, it was just there.
    >>
    >>> Everything was as expected, except:
    >>> DuoCS -owned by root- a PowerPC module.

    >> No idea. google doesn't offer anything up easily either.

    > It might be something that arrived with the PowerBook Duo 2300, which
    > was the first Duo with a PPC CPU? Can't imagine what it might do,
    > though.

    Well, I killed it a few hours ago, and for a while I had nothing but
    Intel (U)(!) apps running. The MacBookPro seemed faster, but could have
    been serendipitous. Do apps that require Rosetta use resources when not
    in use? Badly put, I fear, but is Rosetta at all like Classic in taking
    up some cpu cycles even when not actively in use?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 17, 2006