New member - Queries on Pack Bell notebook B3605

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by Rich, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Hi, I'm from the UK & I'm thinking of buying a Packard Bell notebook
    B3605. It has an AMD3000+ Sempron & 512DDR ram (although 64mb is
    shared with graphics), & a DVD RW multi-drive. On paper, it sounds
    fine & I can get one at a good price.

    However, I'm struggling to find out some technical & user info: -

    1. Front Side Bus ? Can't find this anywhere?
    2. The system uses 200 pin SODIMM P2700 memory modules & has 2 slots.
    I'd like to upgrade to 1024mb DDR ram. Does the B3605 come with
    1x512mb or 2x256mb of DDR ram. If the latter, it would make upgrading
    expensive as you'd have to dump the 2 x 256 modules for 2x 512
    modules!!
    3. The screen is really glossy (described as a 'Diamond' screen). I
    realise this is for greater clarity & more vivid colours, but has
    anyone had experience with these screens, and do they badly reflect
    causing user problems?
    4. Is the Packard Bell B3605 a good laptop?

    Many thanks

    Rich

    Rich, Nov 28, 2005

  2. Rich

    metronid Guest

    I do not like AMD processors

    I know that some people love them

    I would stay with intel..

    Is the Sempron an OK processor
    I guess so

    Many low end laptops and desktops use shared memory
    for video.

    Unless you are a gamer it will not matter that much.

    I have seen dell in their Dimension 2400 used 128 mb of ram and also share
    video from it runinng XP

    It runs but needs added memory from the get go

    512-64=448 for running XP
    That is Ok but more memory will be needed.

    Xp is a memory junkie

    Will it go to 1 or 2 gb is the question
    Almost without doubt it will go 1GB

    What is a good laptop.
    Consumer reports is a good place to start.

    One thing
    Make sure you have a nice warranty

    Laptops are not cheap to repair.

    Here in the USA
    You can pick up Celeron 1.4 and a lot extra
    for around 500 give or take

    And they are wireless

    I have heard the PB has improved since they left the US

    If I were in the UK
    PB would not be on my list

    Do they sell HP DELL GATEWAY or other brans there
    Shop around

    metronid, Nov 28, 2005

  3. Rich

    Eiron Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > 4. Is the Packard Bell B3605 a good laptop?

    No Packard Bell is a good laptop.

    --
    Eiron

    I have no spirit to play with you; your dearth of judgment renders you
    tedious - Ben Jonson.

    Eiron, Nov 29, 2005