    version 5.0:
    MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1

    Now I need to buy a 512mb stick that WILL work. Any suggestions?

    JimL, Feb 23, 2006

  2. JimL

    Paul Guest

    In message <>, JimL
    <> writes
    >I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
    >version 5.0:
    >MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1
    >
    > Now I need to buy a 512mb stick that WILL work. Any suggestions?

    Just bought a Crucial 512mg 184 pin dimm 64Mx64 DDR 3200 unbuffered
    for my k7s5a rev 3.1 - works fine.
    On Crucial's website they will recommend and guarantee a stick of memory
    for your motherboard. Worth the little extra.
    --
    Paul reply-to is valid

    Paul, Feb 23, 2006

  3. JimL

    Ken Guest

    JimL wrote:
    > I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
    > version 5.0:
    > MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1
    >
    > Now I need to buy a 512mb stick that WILL work. Any suggestions?

    As Paul suggested, the Crucial site will MAKE SURE the memory will work
    on your MB. This MB has some issues with the density of the memory as I
    found out when I tried to install a stick of Kingston 512MB DDR. It
    recognized the size but would not run error free. I now have the
    Kingston memory in another MB and it works fine.

    Ken, Feb 23, 2006
  4. JimL

    JimL Guest

    Thanks,
    Just ordered a 64mx64 stick from buy.com. I have my fingers crossed.

    JimL, Feb 23, 2006
  5. JimL

    tod Guest

    I just installed a 512MB PC3200 Patriot brand, works fine.

    Did you try clearing the bios before installing the memory?

    tod, Feb 24, 2006
  6. JimL

    tcsenter Guest

    Re: New memory for K7S5A Pro

    >>MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3<<

    This module uses 4 - 16Mx16 DRAM chips with a total module capacity of
    128MB.

    For 512MB, you'll need a module that uses 8 - 64Mx8 DRAM chips or 16 -
    32Mx8 DRAM chips, preferrably the latter for best compatibility. I've
    found that Elixir Original modules work fine.

    tcsenter, Feb 24, 2006
  7. Re: New memory for K7S5A Pro

    JimL wrote:

    > I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
    > version 5.0: MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1

    Have you tried configuring the BIOS manually? Because when I tested
    various budget lines of PC3200 memory with several mobos rated for only
    PC2100, most had problems if the BIOS was set to automatic memory
    configuration, and I don't think any worked when the safe (slowest)
    defaults were chosen. Otherwise the only modules that failed in these
    PC2100 mobos were rated for PC2100, including a Kingston and a couple
    of K-bytes.

    I strongly suggest you test all memory overnight with both MemTest86
    and Gold Memory because some errors don't appear for a long time, and
    some are detected by only one of these diagnostics.

    larry moe 'n curly, Feb 27, 2006
  8. JimL

    Eric Wolfe Guest

    Re: New memory for K7S5A Pro

    "larry moe 'n curly" <> wrote in message

    > I strongly suggest you test all memory overnight with both MemTest86
    > and Gold Memory because some errors don't appear for a long time, and
    > some are detected by only one of these diagnostics.

    Thanks for the reminder. I was about to install the OS without deep testing
    in my haste to see how fast the new machine was. The new NFORCE3-A clocks
    at 1495MB per second compared to my old K7S5A's 495. I wonder how that will
    translate into real world performance.

    --
    Eric

    Eric Wolfe, Feb 28, 2006
  9. JimL

    JimL Guest

    Re: New memory for K7S5A Pro

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:01:23 -0500, "Eric Wolfe"
    <> wrote:

    >"larry moe 'n curly" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I strongly suggest you test all memory overnight with both MemTest86
    >> and Gold Memory because some errors don't appear for a long time, and
    >> some are detected by only one of these diagnostics.

    >Thanks for the reminder. I was about to install the OS without deep testing
    >in my haste to see how fast the new machine was. The new NFORCE3-A clocks
    >at 1495MB per second compared to my old K7S5A's 495. I wonder how that will
    >translate into real world performance.

    The K7S5A Pro has been a real workhorse for me. I now need to get
    another machine that will be another workhorse for a couple of years.
    I want nothing too cutting edge and would prefer a good video built
    into the motherboard. I expect it to run Athlon 3400.
    What do you recommend?

    JimL, Mar 1, 2006
  10. JimL

    JimL Guest

    Re: New memory for K7S5A Pro

    On 27 Feb 2006 04:10:16 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
    <> wrote:

    >JimL wrote:
    >
    >> I bought the following memory which will not work in my K7S5A Pro
    >> version 5.0: MT4VDDT1664AG-335C3 PC2700U-25331-C1

    >Have you tried configuring the BIOS manually? Because when I tested
    >various budget lines of PC3200 memory with several mobos rated for only
    >PC2100, most had problems if the BIOS was set to automatic memory
    >configuration, and I don't think any worked when the safe (slowest)
    >defaults were chosen. Otherwise the only modules that failed in these
    >PC2100 mobos were rated for PC2100, including a Kingston and a couple
    >of K-bytes.
    >
    >I strongly suggest you test all memory overnight with both MemTest86
    >and Gold Memory because some errors don't appear for a long time, and
    >some are detected by only one of these diagnostics.

    Oh yeah, I tried everthing to make the memory work. Fortunately it
    worked in my Fry's $99 Linspire machine and I needed it there so no
    great loss..

    Today, My new 512mb memory stick was added to a 256mb stick that I
    had been running and a 128mb was removed. I then ran memtest first
    thing and sure enough, I had 10 memory errors in 5 minutes of running.

    I was dreading returning the kingston 512mb memory to buy.com, so I
    double checked by removing my old 256mb chip that I had been running
    for over a year, and testing with just the new memory. It checked
    fine. I then added back my 128mb and it worked fine too.

    So I take a close look at the bad 256mb chip, also a kingston value
    ram and notice that it is pc2100. The new is Pc 3200 and the 128 is
    pc2700. No wonder it was giving me errors. I've been running the
    pc2100 chip at pc2700 speed for over a year.

    Now that I think about it, I've had memory failures about once a
    month and at exactly the same address that memtest showed. Evidently,
    the 'bad' memory is in a range that is rarely used, because I run my
    machine for weeks at a time without rebooting and it just keeps on
    working.

    Go Figure!

    JimL, Mar 1, 2006
  11. Re: New memory for K7S5A Pro

    JimL wrote:

    > I was dreading returning the kingston 512mb memory to buy.com, so I
    > double checked by removing my old 256mb chip that I had been running
    > for over a year, and testing with just the new memory. It checked
    > fine. I then added back my 128mb and it worked fine too.
    >
    > So I take a close look at the bad 256mb chip, also a kingston value
    > ram and notice that it is pc2100. The new is Pc 3200 and the 128 is
    > pc2700. No wonder it was giving me errors. I've been running the
    > pc2100 chip at pc2700 speed for over a year.

    Does it matter whether you the memory configuration is set manually or
    by SPD? BTW I don't think the settling time parameter is overridden by
    the automatic configuration, and I had at least one Kingston module
    (probably a PC2100) that absolutely required the settling time to be
    "slow" or "normal". Even when I get a Kingston ValueRAM that works, it
    seems to barely meet its timing specs, and the only memory I've bought
    that was worse is budget Muskin. Also lots of memory errors have
    miraculously cleared up on me when I switched the memory bus speed from
    133 MHz to 100 MHz, and the performance hit was unnoticeable in real
    life.

    > Now that I think about it, I've had memory failures about once a
    > month and at exactly the same address that memtest showed. Evidently,
    > the 'bad' memory is in a range that is rarely used, because I run my
    > machine for weeks at a time without rebooting and it just keeps on
    > working.
    >
    > Go Figure!

    I wouldn't risk even one byte of bad RAM because it's usually hurt me
    at the worst possible time. That and the low quality of even major
    brand RAM now is why I buy all memory locally and only from stores that
    give 100% money-back guarantees.

    larry moe 'n curly, Mar 1, 2006
  12. JimL

    Eric Wolfe Guest

    Re: New memory for K7S5A Pro

    "JimL" <> wrote in message
    =snip=
    > The K7S5A Pro has been a real workhorse for me. I now need to get
    > another machine that will be another workhorse for a couple of years.
    > I want nothing too cutting edge and would prefer a good video built
    > into the motherboard. I expect it to run Athlon 3400.
    > What do you recommend?

    I've only just started thinking about replacing my K7S5A because it still
    does what I want it to do and very reliably. IIRC, it cost less than $50 so
    I more than feel I got my money's worth. I just bought two NFORCE3-A boards
    with Sempron processors because I want to build a terabyte server using
    removable drive drawers.

    While I got it to work in DOS with all four WD2500 drives visible and
    readable, W2KPROSP4 goes into the strangest fit of flashing windows I have
    ever seen. I assume there was something wrong with this board since they
    were selling the board AND CPU for $75. Maybe it's in the weird way it
    handles the IDE ports. This is also the first time that I've tried using
    "cable select" on all HD's in a system. Whatever it is, something's not
    working out.

    Anyway, to answer your question I am not quite sure where I will end up so I
    don't know what to recommend. I've built a little Epia Mini-ITX box that
    will become my main desktop PC because it draws only 15W at standby compared
    to my ECS's 70W. That 55W adds up over a year's time. What you buy depends
    on what you plan to do with the machine. What kind of programs do you run?

    --
    Eric

    Eric Wolfe, Mar 2, 2006
  13. JimL

    JimL Guest

    Re: New memory for K7S5A Pro

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 20:20:20 -0500, "Eric Wolfe"
    <> wrote:

    >"JimL" <> wrote in message
    >=snip=
    >> The K7S5A Pro has been a real workhorse for me. I now need to get
    >> another machine that will be another workhorse for a couple of years.
    >> I want nothing too cutting edge and would prefer a good video built
    >> into the motherboard. I expect it to run Athlon 3400.
    >> What do you recommend?

    >I've only just started thinking about replacing my K7S5A because it still
    >does what I want it to do and very reliably. IIRC, it cost less than $50 so
    >I more than feel I got my money's worth. I just bought two NFORCE3-A boards
    >with Sempron processors because I want to build a terabyte server using
    >removable drive drawers.
    >
    >While I got it to work in DOS with all four WD2500 drives visible and
    >readable, W2KPROSP4 goes into the strangest fit of flashing windows I have
    >ever seen. I assume there was something wrong with this board since they
    >were selling the board AND CPU for $75. Maybe it's in the weird way it
    >handles the IDE ports. This is also the first time that I've tried using
    >"cable select" on all HD's in a system. Whatever it is, something's not
    >working out.
    >
    >Anyway, to answer your question I am not quite sure where I will end up so I
    >don't know what to recommend. I've built a little Epia Mini-ITX box that
    >will become my main desktop PC because it draws only 15W at standby compared
    >to my ECS's 70W. That 55W adds up over a year's time. What you buy depends
    >on what you plan to do with the machine. What kind of programs do you run?

    I should mention that last summer, I bought a $99 Fry's Computer that
    I have grown to love. It is same speed as my k7s5a pro (2200).
    Seems to be twice as fast for most things and stable as a rock.

    I took the 40 gig drive and partitioned it to 15 gig for linspire and
    25 for win2k. I upped the memory from 128meg to 768 and added a $39
    16x dvd recorder and I have a mean machine that I love. But I'm now
    ready to get something twice as fast and will probably hang a raptor
    drive on and get 2 gig of ddr1 or 2.
    ..

    JimL, Mar 2, 2006
  14. JimL

    Eric Wolfe Guest

    Re: New memory for K7S5A Pro

    "JimL" <> wrote in message

    =snip=

    > I should mention that last summer, I bought a $99 Fry's Computer that
    > I have grown to love. It is same speed as my k7s5a pro (2200).
    > Seems to be twice as fast for most things and stable as a rock.

    I've never been able to figure out why Fry's is able to sell stuff so
    cheaply. The ECS NFORCE3-A and CPU were on sale for about what others were
    selling each component separately. The best I can tell is that they have
    those sorts of sales when they want to clear the decks of old inventory in a
    hurry. That's great for me because I've found cars and PC's to be quite
    alike. Never buy an absolutely brand new and untested model unless you want
    to spend a lot of time babysitting it. For me, the closeouts represent a
    slightly outdated but usually quite reliable technology.

    > I took the 40 gig drive and partitioned it to 15 gig for linspire and
    > 25 for win2k. I upped the memory from 128meg to 768 and added a $39
    > 16x dvd recorder and I have a mean machine that I love. But I'm now
    > ready to get something twice as fast and will probably hang a raptor
    > drive on and get 2 gig of ddr1 or 2.

    I've been looking to add a 37GB Raptor as my boot drive but am still
    undecided because a lot of people classify them as "very noisy" and I've
    gotten used to nearly silent fluid bearing hard disks. Still, I'd like to
    get the best performance possible for DVD work. Decisions, decisions!

    It's good to see HAL PC is still alive. Most of the big PC users groups
    have gone under the waves.

    --
    Eric

    Eric Wolfe, Mar 3, 2006