New motherboard - no beep, no video

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by Sanjay Kumar, Dec 1, 2006.

  1. Sanjay Kumar

    Sanjay Kumar Guest

    Folks !

    I just got X8DBE+ motherboard to setup a dual-core Xeon server. After
    installing 1 CPU, 2 X 2GB FBDIMMs and connecting power -
    I see POWER LED light green on the motherboard, CPU/heatsink heats up,
    Power supply fan turns - but I get no video output (LCD or CRT) and no
    POST beep.

    Same thing happened with the previous motherboard I tried (Tyan +
    Opteron 265). They said it was some kind of short circuit but even when
    I tried running outside the chassis the problem didn't go away. I had to
    return it.

    I have tried running outside chassis with this motherboard too. I am
    wondering if there is something about handling high end server
    motherboard that I should know. Or is it that things being so new,
    compatibility is suspect. Motherboard manual says you have to install
    memory 4 modules at a time for interleaving (whats interleaving ?) but
    then it also says 2 modules is ok (without interleaving). I have checked
    the PCB revision is 2.01 which is required for Woodcrest 5100 series CPU.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    thanks,

    -Sanjay
    Sanjay Kumar, Dec 1, 2006