    In the doc, it recommends a 600W PSU.

    The problem then would it ?

    Fabien

    Fabien Voland, Aug 12, 2010

  2. Fabien Voland

    daytripper Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:48:58 +0200, Fabien Voland <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I installed a new system with motherboard
    >Asus P6T.
    >
    >But when I turn on the PC, all the fans run, HD start, but nothing
    >on the screen and no beep, no keyboard, nothing else.
    >
    >I have a 525W PSU.
    >
    >In the doc, it recommends a 600W PSU.
    >
    >The problem then would it ?
    >
    >Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    >
    >Fabien

    It's improbable that you could come up with a truly functional system
    configuration based on that motherboard that will run reliably - if at all -
    with a "525W" power supply - whether that's peak @25C or continuous @80C.
    Still, that may *not* be the source of the problem you're seeing right now.

    In the same situation, I'd remove all but the absolute minimum hardware needed
    to get to the bios utility. Processor with cooler, a single dimm (in the right
    slot!), no option cards save for a single graphics card, and no drives of any
    kind (mag, optical, ssd - whatever, disconnect them all).

    If you still can't get to the bios herald, it *may* still be a power capacity
    problem, but it might be the motherboard mounting (for instance) or something
    else (memory in wrong slot, processor improperly installed in its socket,
    graphics card not seated properly - or something is outright defective).

    Good luck...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Aug 12, 2010

  3. On 08/12/2010 09:44 PM, Ghostrider <00> wrote:
    > On 8/12/2010 9:48 AM, Fabien Voland wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I installed a new system with motherboard
    >> Asus P6T.
    >>
    >> But when I turn on the PC, all the fans run, HD start, but nothing
    >> on the screen and no beep, no keyboard, nothing else.
    >>
    >> I have a 525W PSU.
    >>
    >> In the doc, it recommends a 600W PSU.
    >>
    >> The problem then would it ?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    >>
    >> Fabien

    > Good thought. And just how good is this 525W PSU, meaning
    > just how was it rated, i.e., max power, continuous power,
    > etc.? If this PSU is a "typical", plain one, not only is
    > it underpowered by Asus's recomendation, the PSU might not
    > be suitable for a high-end motherboard based on the Intel
    > X58 chipset, i7 (LGA1366) CPU and triple-channel DDR3 RAM.
    >
    > Second thought. How good is the RAM and how much installed?

    Hi,

    3 x 2048. 6 GB. Kingston HyperX.

    Fabien

    Fabien Voland, Aug 12, 2010
  4. On 08/12/2010 09:58 PM, daytripper wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:48:58 +0200, Fabien Voland<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I installed a new system with motherboard
    >> Asus P6T.
    >>
    >> But when I turn on the PC, all the fans run, HD start, but nothing
    >> on the screen and no beep, no keyboard, nothing else.
    >>
    >> I have a 525W PSU.
    >>
    >> In the doc, it recommends a 600W PSU.
    >>
    >> The problem then would it ?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    >>
    >> Fabien

    > It's improbable that you could come up with a truly functional system
    > configuration based on that motherboard that will run reliably - if at all -
    > with a "525W" power supply - whether that's peak @25C or continuous @80C.
    > Still, that may *not* be the source of the problem you're seeing right now.
    >
    > In the same situation, I'd remove all but the absolute minimum hardware needed
    > to get to the bios utility. Processor with cooler, a single dimm (in the right
    > slot!), no option cards save for a single graphics card, and no drives of any
    > kind (mag, optical, ssd - whatever, disconnect them all).
    >
    > If you still can't get to the bios herald, it *may* still be a power capacity
    > problem, but it might be the motherboard mounting (for instance) or something
    > else (memory in wrong slot, processor improperly installed in its socket,
    > graphics card not seated properly - or something is outright defective).
    >
    > Good luck...
    >
    > /daytripper

    Hi,

    I disconnect the maximum but the problem is
    always here.

    And I verify all connection and it's all ok.

    Fabien

    Fabien Voland, Aug 13, 2010
  5. Fabien Voland

    Paul Guest

    Fabien Voland wrote:

    > On 08/12/2010 09:44 PM, Ghostrider <00> wrote:
    >> On 8/12/2010 9:48 AM, Fabien Voland wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I installed a new system with motherboard
    >>> Asus P6T.
    >>>
    >>> But when I turn on the PC, all the fans run, HD start, but nothing
    >>> on the screen and no beep, no keyboard, nothing else.
    >>>
    >>> I have a 525W PSU.
    >>>
    >>> In the doc, it recommends a 600W PSU.
    >>>
    >>> The problem then would it ?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    >>>
    >>> Fabien

    >> Good thought. And just how good is this 525W PSU, meaning
    >> just how was it rated, i.e., max power, continuous power,
    >> etc.? If this PSU is a "typical", plain one, not only is
    >> it underpowered by Asus's recomendation, the PSU might not
    >> be suitable for a high-end motherboard based on the Intel
    >> X58 chipset, i7 (LGA1366) CPU and triple-channel DDR3 RAM.
    >>
    >> Second thought. How good is the RAM and how much installed?

    > Hi,
    >
    > 3 x 2048. 6 GB. Kingston HyperX.
    >
    > Fabien

    There are *two* power cables on the motherboard.

    The 2x4 connector provides 12V to the processor area of the motherboard.
    If your power supply has a 2x2 connector, that will work fine. If you
    look at the 2x4 connector, there may be a "cap" covering four of the
    holes. You would place the 2x2 connector in the remaining holes. If
    the "cap" is not present, notice the position of the "latch" on
    the 2x4. The "latch" is towards the end, where a 2x2 could be inserted.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/4pinin8.jpg

    The picture in the user manual, shows which side is +12V. On the cable
    and connector coming from the power supply, the yellow colored wires are
    +12V, so you can verify the yellow colored wire is going to the
    side of the connector that is for +12V.

    Your motherboard has a 24 pin main power connector. You can use a
    20 pin power supply or a 24 pin power supply. This picture, shows
    how you would connect a 20 pin supply. The latch on the connector,
    should still engage.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/20in24.jpg

    Once the power cables are in place, you can do one test
    with all RAM removed and with the video card removed.
    You should hear error beeps, with that hardware missing.
    The error beeps tell you the processor is reading BIOS
    code, which is a good sign. If the board remains silent,
    it could be the processor or the motherboard has a problem.
    Considering the high contact count (1366) of the processor socket,
    at that point, I would remove the processor from the socket,
    and visually check the contacts in the socket. When some
    motherboards are shipped, there can be crushed pins in there,
    and they will reflect the light differently than the rest of
    the pins. Normally, a cap covers the contacts in the LGA1366
    socket, to prevent damage. Return the P6T to your seller, if
    it looks like the socket arrived damaged.

    If the "no RAM and no video" case, gave you some beeps from the
    speaker, you can put the RAM and the video card back, and continue
    with your testing.

    I think your power supply is fine - the system doesn't draw
    maximum power, when the BIOS starts up. That comes later.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 13, 2010