New problem: Start-up w/Athon

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by bruce hight, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. bruce hight

    bruce hight Guest

    A day ago I got some help with my computer problem after I installed a
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard. Those suggestions helped, at least at
    first, but now I'm in a new nightmare. The problems are probably related,
    but I'm not sure how.

    Here's the immediate problem: The computer freezes within a few minutes
    after I boot up -- if I can even boot up. Sometimes it freezes during
    boot-up, sometimes during Windows XP loading, sometimes after it's loaded
    and I've even done one or two things such as check my e-mail before it
    freezes again.

    Sometimes when I reboot it just freezes up again. Sometimes it will reboot
    part of the way and then freeze. Sometimes it will ask me if I want to go
    into safe mode but usually not; sometimes it even freezes up when I'm trying
    to decide.

    I pulled the Santa Cruz card and even managed to get the drivers removed,
    and reenabled the on-board audio, but none of that helped.

    Specs: IWill 333-R motherboard, Athlon XP 1700, 512 PC2700 memory, Windows
    XP. Until I put in the Santa Cruz card, this computer worked fine. White
    box. 60-gig Seagate hardrive; DVD drive; CD-RW drive. (Note, until all this
    happened, bios would report 333 memory at start-up; then it dropped to 200.
    Your help showed me how to bump that to 266, but I could no longer bump it
    back up to 333 and asynchronous mode without causing problems. It's back to
    266.

    I'm about ready to give up and take it to a tech, but wanted to see if
    anyone had a silver bullet.

    Thanks in advance. (I'm now using my eight-year-old Dell backup.)

    1. Advertising

  2. Io

    Io Guest

    Possible problems:

    faulty motherboard
    faulty power supply unit
    overheating CPU

    1. Advertising

  3. JB

    JB Guest

    bruce hight wrote:
    > A day ago I got some help with my computer problem after I installed a
    > Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard. Those suggestions helped, at least at
    > first, but now I'm in a new nightmare. The problems are probably related,
    > but I'm not sure how.
    >
    > Here's the immediate problem: The computer freezes within a few minutes
    > after I boot up -- if I can even boot up. Sometimes it freezes during
    > boot-up, sometimes during Windows XP loading, sometimes after it's loaded
    > and I've even done one or two things such as check my e-mail before it
    > freezes again.
    >
    > Sometimes when I reboot it just freezes up again. Sometimes it will reboot
    > part of the way and then freeze. Sometimes it will ask me if I want to go
    > into safe mode but usually not; sometimes it even freezes up when I'm trying
    > to decide.
    >
    > I pulled the Santa Cruz card and even managed to get the drivers removed,
    > and reenabled the on-board audio, but none of that helped.
    >
    > Specs: IWill 333-R motherboard, Athlon XP 1700, 512 PC2700 memory, Windows
    > XP. Until I put in the Santa Cruz card, this computer worked fine. White
    > box. 60-gig Seagate hardrive; DVD drive; CD-RW drive. (Note, until all this
    > happened, bios would report 333 memory at start-up; then it dropped to 200.
    > Your help showed me how to bump that to 266, but I could no longer bump it
    > back up to 333 and asynchronous mode without causing problems. It's back to
    > 266.
    >
    > I'm about ready to give up and take it to a tech, but wanted to see if
    > anyone had a silver bullet.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. (I'm now using my eight-year-old Dell backup.)

    Check your bios, see if you have "plug and play" OS set to yes or no. I
    always set it to no, as I've had Win 2000 have all sorts of problems
    with IRQ's with this set to yes.