    So I propose to install the faster DDR3 RAM in place of the slower DDR2
    RAM.

    Anybody know if that will work?
    Bill, Jul 12, 2012

  2. Bill

    David Empson Guest

    Bill <> wrote:

    > I'm upgrading the RAM on my new MacBook Pro. Afterward, I will have the
    > two 2 GB modules that were in the MacBook Pro from the factory.
    >
    > Can I use those modules to upgrade the RAM on an older MacBook?
    >
    > The RAM specs are different:
    >
    > New MacBook Pro RAM: 1600 MHz DDR3
    >
    > Old MacBook: 667 MHz DDR2
    >
    > So I propose to install the faster DDR3 RAM in place of the slower DDR2
    > RAM.
    >
    > Anybody know if that will work?

    It won't. DDR3 and DDR2 are physically incompatible. They won't even fit
    in the same slots, because the notch moved.

    The old MacBook needs DDR2 SO-DIMMs, at least 667 MHz. DDR2-800 might
    work, but I prefer to play it safe and stick to the same speed RAM as
    the original memory (unless only faster RAM is available, and then only
    in the same family).

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jul 12, 2012

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    In article <1kn57mi.cm5rxn1f8vlioN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Bill <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm upgrading the RAM on my new MacBook Pro. Afterward, I will have the
    > > two 2 GB modules that were in the MacBook Pro from the factory.
    > >
    > > Can I use those modules to upgrade the RAM on an older MacBook?
    > >
    > > The RAM specs are different:
    > >
    > > New MacBook Pro RAM: 1600 MHz DDR3
    > >
    > > Old MacBook: 667 MHz DDR2
    > >
    > > So I propose to install the faster DDR3 RAM in place of the slower DDR2
    > > RAM.
    > >
    > > Anybody know if that will work?

    > It won't. DDR3 and DDR2 are physically incompatible. They won't even fit
    > in the same slots, because the notch moved.
    >
    > The old MacBook needs DDR2 SO-DIMMs, at least 667 MHz. DDR2-800 might
    > work, but I prefer to play it safe and stick to the same speed RAM as
    > the original memory (unless only faster RAM is available, and then only
    > in the same family).

    Thanks
    Bill, Jul 12, 2012
  4. Bill

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Bill <> wrote:
    >I'm upgrading the RAM on my new MacBook Pro. Afterward, I will have the
    >two 2 GB modules that were in the MacBook Pro from the factory.

    >Can I use those modules to upgrade the RAM on an older MacBook?

    Don't think so. The late 2011 MBP used 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3
    SO-DIMM and the new MacBookPro uses 1600Mhz RAM. It is possible it will
    work in a 1333MHz slot, but I kind of doubt it.

    >The RAM specs are different:

    >New MacBook Pro RAM: 1600 MHz DDR3

    >Old MacBook: 667 MHz DDR2

    Oh, that is *OLD*. no way that will work. DDR3 versus DDR2. The notch
    isn't even in the same place.

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=can+I+put+DDR3+RAm+into+DDR2+slot>

    --
    Real magic is the hand around the bandsaw, the thrown spark in the
    powder keg, the dimension-warp linking you straight into the heart of a
    Lewis, Jul 13, 2012