    that seems unlikely. So I'm wondering if there could be some other problem
    with the unit (maybe with the recharging?). Any suggestions?

    Thanks for any help. -Pat

    pat, Dec 24, 2006

  2. pat

    John Doue Guest

    pat wrote:
    > I was recently given a Thinkpad T22. When I first got it it wouldn't run at
    > all off the battery (although it runs fine off the AC adapter). I assumed
    > this was because the battery was old and worn out. So I purchased a
    > replacement battery, and after letting it charge overnight (where it
    > appeared to recharge fine) I went to use it but after only 3 or 4 minutes of
    > use got a message saying the battery was low and to shut down. The power
    > died shortly after. Although it's possible the new battery could be bad,
    > that seems unlikely. So I'm wondering if there could be some other problem
    > with the unit (maybe with the recharging?). Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks for any help. -Pat

    I would start by asking the giver ... May be he also experienced the
    problem. It certainly looks like there is a short somewhere that drains
    the battery very fast but not so badly the power supply cannot
    compensate for it.

    Regards

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Dec 25, 2006

  3. pat

    Woody Guest

    New battery or used battery. Where did it come from? If from e-bay it could
    be someone else's junk.

    Woody, Dec 26, 2006
  4. pat

    Pat Kelecy Guest

    Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away over the holiday.

    The battery did come from eBay, but the seller assures me he tested it in a
    T22 and that it ran for well over an hour. He seems honest, and has offered
    to give me a refund, if I want, so I'm inclined to believe him. I guess the
    only way to know for sure is to get another battery and try it. But if
    there is some other problem with the unit, I was hoping to be able to
    confirm that, and, if possible, fix it before going through the trouble of
    returning the battery.

    Any ideas on how I might be able to trouble shoot this? Could the CMOS
    battery (which has never been replaced) play a role in this?

    Thanks. -Pat

    Pat Kelecy, Dec 29, 2006
  5. pat

    Woody Guest

    You need to check the voltage of the battery and load test it. Did the
    battery light on the laptop show it was charging for a couple hours before
    turning green? What kind of battery is it. Li-ion? Bring up on AC and run PC
    Doctor. If not on your Thinkpad you can get it from the Lenovo support site
    as well as any drivers you may need and the hardware service manual. First
    though is to check the battery voltage. Fully charged it should read a
    couple volts above the Nom voltage listed on the battery label.

    Woody, Dec 30, 2006
  6. pat

    Pat Kelecy Guest

    It's a Li-ion battery (original IBM). Since posting this I've done some
    further investigations and think part of what is going on is a software
    issue (with the way the laptop tracks the state of charge). I updated the
    BIOS and applied other updates to the system (using ThinkVantage System
    Update) and recharged the battery again. The laptop will now run for about
    30 minutes on battery alone. That's a lot better than what I was seeing
    before, but still not the hour + the seller claimed.

    When charged, the Battery Information indicates the battery is at about 12.5
    volts, and during operation it draws between 1 to 2 amp, depending on what
    the laptop is doing. That seems reasonable, but since it only lasts about
    half an hour is no where near the rated 3.6 amp hours.

    I'll try checking the voltage with my meter (to confirm that it really is at
    12.5V when charged) and also run PC Doctor. It would be nice if I could
    somehow eke a little more run time out of it.

    Thanks for the help. -Pat

    Pat Kelecy, Dec 31, 2006
  7. pat

    PJ Guest

    Pat Kelecy wrote:
    > It's a Li-ion battery (original IBM). Since posting this I've done some
    > further investigations and think part of what is going on is a software
    > issue (with the way the laptop tracks the state of charge). I updated the
    > BIOS and applied other updates to the system (using ThinkVantage System
    > Update) and recharged the battery again. The laptop will now run for about
    > 30 minutes on battery alone. That's a lot better than what I was seeing
    > before, but still not the hour + the seller claimed.
    >
    > When charged, the Battery Information indicates the battery is at about 12.5
    > volts, and during operation it draws between 1 to 2 amp, depending on what
    > the laptop is doing. That seems reasonable, but since it only lasts about
    > half an hour is no where near the rated 3.6 amp hours.
    >
    > I'll try checking the voltage with my meter (to confirm that it really is at
    > 12.5V when charged) and also run PC Doctor. It would be nice if I could
    > somehow eke a little more run time out of it.
    >
    > Thanks for the help. -Pat
    >

    > "Woody" <> wrote in message
    >> You need to check the voltage of the battery and load test it. Did the
    >> battery light on the laptop show it was charging for a couple hours before
    >> turning green? What kind of battery is it. Li-ion? Bring up on AC and run
    >> PC Doctor. If not on your Thinkpad you can get it from the Lenovo support
    >> site as well as any drivers you may need and the hardware service manual.
    >> First though is to check the battery voltage. Fully charged it should read
    >> a couple volts above the Nom voltage listed on the battery label.
    >>
    >> "Pat Kelecy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Sorry for the delay in responding. I was away over the holiday.
    >>>
    >>> The battery did come from eBay, but the seller assures me he tested it in
    >>> a T22 and that it ran for well over an hour. He seems honest, and has
    >>> offered to give me a refund, if I want, so I'm inclined to believe him.
    >>> I guess the only way to know for sure is to get another battery and try
    >>> it. But if there is some other problem with the unit, I was hoping to be
    >>> able to confirm that, and, if possible, fix it before going through the
    >>> trouble of returning the battery.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on how I might be able to trouble shoot this? Could the CMOS
    >>> battery (which has never been replaced) play a role in this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks. -Pat
    >>>

    >>> "Woody" <> wrote in message

    The CMOS battery shouldn't be a player in this. When the CMOS batt
    dies, you'll get an error message when you start the machine.

    Remember that, particularly when new, batts thrive on a couple of
    complete charge-discharge cycles (more so NiMH's than Lion's). If it's
    an older battery that's laid dormant for several months, you might try
    the charge, then fully discharge routine.

    --
    PJ
    '89 auto cpe - '02 eblu 6spd

    PJ, Jan 3, 2007