    anyone offer opinions? Also, this is a long shot, but here goes anyway, has
    anyone got a BFG PhysX card? If you have, have you added a third party
    cooler to it to replace the quiet, but ineffective standard one?

    Carl, Jul 7, 2007

  2. Carl

    Phil Weldon Guest

    | Hello all, I have just ordered up an Intel E2140, to put into a Lan Party
    | ICFX3200-T2R/G, I would apprecciate some tips on overclocking it for a
    | novice. I have read that this processor will go to 3Ghz on air alone,
    could
    | anyone offer opinions? Also, this is a long shot, but here goes anyway,
    has
    | anyone got a BFG PhysX card? If you have, have you added a third party
    | cooler to it to replace the quiet, but ineffective standard one?
    _____

    An Intel E2140 is likely not as good a choice as an E4300 at $30 US more
    unless you are on a VERY tight budget (and your inquiry about a PhysX card
    tends to say otherwise.) The higher CPU multiplier and higher CPU stock
    speed make it a better overclock candidate (and twice the L2 cache make it a
    better performer at equal CPU speeds. Yes, we have all heard about
    air-alone super overclocks, but the judging from the posts here, these
    claims are at best elusive, at worse imaginative. One thing to keep in mind
    that Core 2 Duo (and, I would expect, Core Duo) CPUs don't have the same
    default voltage even within a specific model; that voltage is set at the
    factory after testing. So you might get a CPU with a higher than expected
    core voltage and that will likely produce more heat. For example, my E4300
    has a factory default voltage of 1.325 volts; on the other hand it
    overclocks quite nicely at 2.7 GHz with a 1200 MHz FSB and a core voltage of
    1.2500 volts. I use the stock Intel boxed, retail heatsink, high speed
    DDR2-1066 memory set a a 1200 MHz bus (2:1 Memory Clock to CPU Clock ratio)
    and an overclocked 8800 GTX 320 MByte (640 MHz / 975 MHz) in an EVGA 680i
    motherboard. The 3DMark06 score is 9674 3DMarks.

    All the overclocking parameters are stock except
    FSB is 1200 MHz rather than 800 MHz
    Memory BUS is 1200 MHz rather than 1066 MHz
    CPU voltage is 1.2500 volts rather than 1.3250 volts
    Memory voltage is 2.30 volts (which is stock for the Patriot DDR2 1066
    memory)
    Memory timings are relaxed to 5-5-5-9

    It is possible to overclock the CPU to 3.15 GHz, but the system is then not
    very stable.

    You can find quite a bit of information for overclocking Core 2 Duo CPUs in
    posts over the last three months in this newsgroup. I would just emphasize
    that you try for the lowest possible core voltage that will give a stable
    overclock, and that Orthos with the 'small FFTs' option used to test the CPU
    for stability - some old favorite CPU stablitiy tests do not properly load
    both CPUs.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jul 7, 2007

  3. Carl

    Carl Guest

    Thanks, Phil.

    I only got the E2140 to do me until the 45nm Penryn chips are available here
    in the UK. I have a box full of new kit that I am busting to get installed,
    finally cracked today and ordered up the E2140, I will have fun mucking
    about with it until I get a quad core CPU. I would have waited, only I have
    sold all my current PC innards and will be building them into another PC in
    a few days time. I don't see the point of buying a really good Core 2 CPU
    now, when I intend to get another in about 8 weeks time!

    Carl, Jul 8, 2007
  4. Carl

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Carl' wrote:
    | I only got the E2140 to do me until the 45nm Penryn chips are available
    here
    | in the UK. I have a box full of new kit that I am busting to get
    installed,
    | finally cracked today and ordered up the E2140, I will have fun mucking
    | about with it until I get a quad core CPU. I would have waited, only I
    have
    | sold all my current PC innards and will be building them into another PC
    in
    | a few days time. I don't see the point of buying a really good Core 2 CPU
    | now, when I intend to get another in about 8 weeks time!
    _____

    I 'heard' there would be an Intel CPU price drop July 22, for whatever
    that's worth B^) I think it likely that the price drops would be at the
    upper end to continue pressure on AMD, with the lower end remaining pretty
    much the same.

    Your reasoning is similar to mine when I selected the E4300 three months
    ago; something to run with my 680i / 8800 system until the Penryn (too bad
    the code name isn't Pendragon, but Intel is enumerating rivers of
    Northwestern North America. )

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jul 8, 2007
  5. Carl

    Lin Chung Guest

    Phil Weldon wrote:
    > Carl wrote:
    > > I only got the E2140 to do me until the 45nm Penryn chips are
    > > available here in the UK....

    > ..Your reasoning is similar to mine when I selected the E4300 three
    > months ago; something to run with my 680i / 8800 system until the
    > Penryn...

    Same here. But...."No Desktop Penryn 45 nm this year"
    http://tinyurl.com/36oz43

    --
    Lin Chung.
    [Paste ntlworld over the Water Margin to send a private e-mail.]

    Lin Chung, Jul 9, 2007
  6. Carl

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Lin Chung' wrote:
    | Same here. But...."No Desktop Penryn 45 nm this year"
    | http://tinyurl.com/36oz43
    _____

    I hold out a hope for the dual core Penryn this year B^)

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jul 9, 2007
  7. Carl

    Carl Guest

    ta for the link. fingers crossed for yorkfield then. Or something that will
    run Crysis easily!

    Carl, Jul 10, 2007