new to tablet pc & MS Office Small Business 2007

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by muddywater, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. muddywater

    muddywater Guest

    I'm new to tablets and am considering purchasing a Toshiba Portege M700
    series. Is vista the best os
    for a tablet? Will handwriting that is input on a tablet automatically be
    transcribed into text in a "Word" or excel document without any additional
    program installed other than MS Office Small Business 2007?

    --
    Thanks for your help!
    "Muddy"

    1. Advertising

  2. Invalid

    Invalid Guest

    In message <>,
    muddywater <> writes
    >I'm new to tablets and am considering purchasing a Toshiba Portege M700
    >series. Is vista the best os
    >for a tablet? Will handwriting that is input on a tablet automatically be
    >transcribed into text in a "Word" or excel document without any additional
    >program installed other than MS Office Small Business 2007?

    To answer you questions

    Vista - probably yes if the laptop comes with it preinstalled from the
    manufacturer. The handwriting recognition is (In my opinion) better in
    Vista than XP. On the other hand you need a significantly higher spec
    machine to run Vista.

    Handwriting will automatically be transcribed into (almost) any program.
    That said the integration with Word is good and works well. However
    unless you are a really bad typist you will find using the keyboard
    quicker for text input if you are sitting at a desk. Standing, walking
    around or relaxing in an easy chair the handwriting is probably more
    comfortable.

    I haven't uses Excel 2007 so I don't know whether they have made
    significant changes, but Excel 2003 and earlier, or any spreadsheet, is
    probably the worst experience with a tablet. It does work, but it is not
    a good match. If all you are entering is text and data into a pre-built
    sheet, it is just about acceptable. If you want to enter formulae then
    you will be better off with the keyboard. The recognition system wants
    to interpret your input as English words - formulae are will be garbled.

    I hope this helps
    --
    Peter R Cook