    Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?

    Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
    be pretty much certain it will be stable?

    bornfree, Nov 21, 2007

  2. bornfree

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb bornfree typed:
    > These are my questions -
    > re: overclocking your CPU
    >
    > Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?

    Because your CPU is not stable and is producing errors.

    > Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
    > be pretty much certain it will be stable?

    Hell yes! Who in their right mind would run an unstable system?

    My E4500 (2.2GHz nominal) is running at 3.3GHz rock-solid. I wouldn't have
    it any other way.

    There are utilities that you can run (Memtest, Prime95, Orthos, TAT....)
    that push your system to it's limits. If it can run all of those at least
    overnight then you can be pretty confident that it's stable.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 21, 2007

  3. bornfree

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "bornfree" <> wrote in message
    > These are my questions -
    > re: overclocking your CPU
    >
    > Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?
    >
    > Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
    > be pretty much certain it will be stable?

    Of course, that is why we do it. No overclock is good unless it is at least
    as stable as a stock system as far as I am concerned. We actually
    'overbuild' our systems to the point that they should be just as stable, if
    not more so, than a stock system with all OEM parts. We cool better, we also
    test the hell out of stability before we consider our system "done". There
    are many reasons that an overclocked system would crash. Needing a bit more
    Vcore voltage is one of them. Raising Vcore will raise temps so then you
    need to make sure your cooling system is up to par. I have two overclocked
    systems here that are both rock solid with no issues at all. Laptops are the
    only thing around here that run at stock speeds..........:)

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Nov 22, 2007
  4. bornfree

    bornfree Guest

    On 22 Nov, 13:06, "Ed Medlin" <> wrote:
    > "bornfree" <> wrote in message

    > > These are my questions -
    > > re: overclocking your CPU

    > > Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?

    > > Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
    > > be pretty much certain it will be stable?

    > Of course, that is why we do it.

    Sorry I meant

    Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
    be pretty much certain it will be stable /without stress testing it/?

    But I guess I should already know the answer now anyway.

    bornfree, Nov 22, 2007
  5. bornfree

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "bornfree" <> wrote in message
    > On 22 Nov, 13:06, "Ed Medlin" <> wrote:
    >> "bornfree" <> wrote in message

    >> > These are my questions -
    >> > re: overclocking your CPU

    >> > Why would overclocking cause your system to crash or bluescreen?

    >> > Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
    >> > be pretty much certain it will be stable?

    >> Of course, that is why we do it.

    > Sorry I meant
    >
    > Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system and
    > be pretty much certain it will be stable /without stress testing it/?
    >
    > But I guess I should already know the answer now anyway.

    Stressing the system is part of the overclocking process. The goal is to
    lessen that stress as much as possible with extra cooling, ventilation ect.
    There are some who overclock, mainly for bragging rights, and if the system
    boots into Windows it is a successful overclock. The vast majority of us in
    this group are far more meticulous than that (not that we don't look for
    bragging rights now and then.......:). A PERFECTLY stable system is always
    my first benchmark objective. Performance benchmarks come later.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Nov 23, 2007
  6. bornfree

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Ed Medlin typed:
    > "bornfree" <> wrote in message
    >> On 22 Nov, 13:06, "Ed Medlin" <> wrote:
    >>> "bornfree" <> wrote in message

    >>> Of course, that is why we do it.

    >> Sorry I meant
    >>
    >> Is it possible for an experienced over clocker over clock a system
    >> and be pretty much certain it will be stable /without stress testing
    >> it/? But I guess I should already know the answer now anyway.

    > Stressing the system is part of the overclocking process. The goal is
    > to lessen that stress as much as possible with extra cooling,
    > ventilation ect. There are some who overclock, mainly for bragging
    > rights, and if the system boots into Windows it is a successful
    > overclock. The vast majority of us in this group are far more
    > meticulous than that (not that we don't look for bragging rights now
    > and then.......:). A PERFECTLY stable system is always my first
    > benchmark objective. Performance benchmarks come later.

    What Ed said.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.