NEWBIE QUESTION

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by H, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. H

    H Guest

    Apologies if this is a really stupid question #(or if it doesn't make
    sense!)

    Someone has given me a 5.1 surround sound system for my pc - problem is I
    have a fairly basic sound card - it's a SoundMax Integrated digitial audio
    card - the original one that came with my PC a couple of years ago. Without
    wishing to spend too much upgrading my soundcard, what is the best way for
    me to make use of the surround sound system, or should I just stick with my
    2 ancient OEM speakers?

    cheers

    1. Advertising

  2. Rob

    Rob Guest

    H wrote:

    >Apologies if this is a really stupid question #(or if it doesn't make
    >sense!)
    >
    >Someone has given me a 5.1 surround sound system for my pc - problem is I
    >have a fairly basic sound card - it's a SoundMax Integrated digitial audio
    >card - the original one that came with my PC a couple of years ago. Without
    >wishing to spend too much upgrading my soundcard, what is the best way for
    >me to make use of the surround sound system, or should I just stick with my
    >2 ancient OEM speakers?
    >
    >cheers

    Pretty sure you could get a basic retail 5.1 card for $10 to $15 , less
    for an OEM. Check E-bay or local shops.
    Rob

    1. Advertising

  3. Tod

    Tod Guest

    H wrote:
    > Apologies if this is a really stupid question #(or if it doesn't make
    > sense!)
    >
    > Someone has given me a 5.1 surround sound system for my pc - problem is I
    > have a fairly basic sound card - it's a SoundMax Integrated digitial audio
    > card - the original one that came with my PC a couple of years ago. Without
    > wishing to spend too much upgrading my soundcard, what is the best way for
    > me to make use of the surround sound system, or should I just stick with my
    > 2 ancient OEM speakers?
    >
    > cheers

    You can get a sound card with the C-Media CMI8738 chip
    starting at $8

    The Chaintech AV-710 card will give you really good sound
    starting at $24

    www.pricewatch.com

    I've just installed a used Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
    in my computer, cost me $20.50 on www.ebay.com
    The Santa Cruz has a built in DSP chip.
    You can also have both the speakers (2 or 4)and headphones
    plugged in at the same time.