News Flash! No More Windows Discs!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Daddy, Mar 5, 2010.

  1. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Attention All:

    Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
    disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.

    Not any more.

    "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
    box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
    disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
    disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
    media."

    https://support.dell.com/support/to...d=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs

    Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
    piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.

    And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
    recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
    negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article
    was first published.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 5, 2010

  2. Daddy

    Hank Arnold Guest

    On 3/4/2010 9:19 PM, Daddy wrote:
    > Attention All:
    >
    > Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
    > disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
    >
    > Not any more.
    >
    > "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
    > box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
    > disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
    > disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
    > media."
    >
    > https://support.dell.com/support/to...d=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
    >

    > Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
    > piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
    >
    > And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
    > recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
    > negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article
    > was first published.
    >
    > Daddy

    We just received 4 latitudes and 7 Towers last month and each came with
    all the usual disks. I have a lot of copies of W7 32 bit & 64 bit now....

    --

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Mar 5, 2010

  3. Daddy

    John Novicki Guest

    "Daddy" <> wrote in message
    > Attention All:
    >
    > Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
    > disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
    >
    > Not any more.
    >
    > "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the box
    > for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery disks in
    > case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery disks,
    > there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery media."
    >
    > https://support.dell.com/support/to...d=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    > Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
    > piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
    >
    > And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
    > recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm negotiating
    > with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article was first
    > published.
    >
    > Daddy

    I have an order in production (from 2/28/10) for a Inspiron Zino HD with
    Windows 7 Premium. I let the group know what I get when I receive it.

    John

    John Novicki, Mar 5, 2010
  4. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:

> [...]

    Best Buy can make its own arrangements with Dell.

    You bought a computer from Best Buy?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 5, 2010
  5. Daddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 3/5/2010 9:43 AM, Daddy wrote:
    > Tom Scales wrote:

    What's wrong with buying computer gear from Best Buy, Staples, or even
    WalMart? If you get exactly what you want and the price is right, you
    buy it. For a while, I was buying Linksys WRT54G routers at Walmart for
    less than I would pay my distributor for one, and for less than anywhere
    else. Well over a year ago when prices were still pretty high, I bought
    a pair of 8GB Cruzer flash sticks for $25 apiece at Staples. Long ago,
    we entered the commodity age of computing for the most common items.
    Make sure you read the warranties first, both mfr and store... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 5, 2010
  6. Daddy

    GTS Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    I bought 2 Dell laptops in the last few months from Walmart and neither
    included a Windows media.

    GTS, Mar 5, 2010
  7. Daddy

    Nick Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 21:19:08 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Daddy
    <> wrote:

    >Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
    >disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
    >
    >Not any more.
    >
    >"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
    >box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
    >disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
    >disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
    >media."

    I ordered my XPS 9000 about a month ago, and received it a couple of days
    ago. It came with a Dell Win7 reinstallation DVD.

    I was surprised that it didn't come with the usual discs with drivers,
    utilities, etc.: just the Win7 disc.

    What really annoyed me, though, is that the manual doesn't include the usual
    instructions for opening the computer case, adding and removing components,
    etc. Apparently you have to get that information from Dell's web site.
    Which means that if you only own one computer, you might want to print out
    the relevant part of the online manual before opening it up to do stuff
    inside...

    --
    Nick <mailto:>

    May you live in interesting times...

    Nick, Mar 5, 2010
  8. Hi!

    > You bought a computer from Best Buy?

    Ben said it very well. If you know exactly what you want (and maybe if
    they've got a good deal going), and what you're getting, there's no
    problem buying from there. And that includes computers.

    Just ignore the 'Geek Squad', extended warranties (unless there is an
    absolutely screaming good deal on one) and anything else, get what you
    want and get out.

    Best Buy and related stores do very well when you need something *now*
    as well.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Mar 5, 2010
  9. Hi!

    Dell doesn't qualify whether that is true for only home store
    purchases, business ones or even both. They do mention that media is
    available, with a potential cost.

    Going through the small business store (which I still advise) still
    seems to imply (especially with regard to downgrade options) that you
    will receive operating system installation media.

    As much as I despise any so-called recovery setups, I'd gladly phone
    them up and pay the extra cost. (What could it be, more than a few
    bucks?)

    William

    William R. Walsh, Mar 5, 2010
  10. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    William R. Walsh wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    >> You bought a computer from Best Buy?

    > Ben said it very well. If you know exactly what you want (and maybe if
    > they've got a good deal going), and what you're getting, there's no
    > problem buying from there. And that includes computers.
    >
    > Just ignore the 'Geek Squad', extended warranties (unless there is an
    > absolutely screaming good deal on one) and anything else, get what you
    > want and get out.
    >
    > Best Buy and related stores do very well when you need something *now*
    > as well.
    >
    > William

    "You pays your money and you takes your choice."

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 5, 2010
  11. Daddy

    Star@*.* Guest

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 22:35:09 -0600, "Tom Scales" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    You can be sure the machines were from older stock. This would explain
    why you got all the disks.

    Art

    Star@*.*, Mar 6, 2010
  12. Daddy

    Star@*.* Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 21:19:08 -0500, Daddy <>
    wrote:

    >Attention All:
    >
    >Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
    >disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
    >
    >Not any more.
    >
    >"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
    >box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
    >disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
    >disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
    >media."
    >
    >https://support.dell.com/support/to...d=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    >Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
    >piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
    >
    >And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
    >recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
    >negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article
    >was first published.
    >
    >Daddy

    A real shame this has happened. The including of the disks, not
    requireing activation, Useuable manuals and this newsgroup were great
    pluses for Dell.
    Looks like all that is left is this newsgroup.
    The activation was stolen by MS and possibly the media also.
    Again a real shame.

    Art

    Star@*.*, Mar 6, 2010
  13. "Daddy" <> wrote in message
    > Attention All:
    >
    > Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
    > disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
    >
    > Not any more.
    >
    > "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the box
    > for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery disks in
    > case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery disks,
    > there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery media."
    >
    > https://support.dell.com/support/to...d=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    > Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
    > piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
    >
    > And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
    > recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm negotiating
    > with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article was first
    > published.
    >
    > Daddy

    I just received an Inspiron 580 last week from Dell and it came with
    operating system and driver discs. Maybe it was older stock on hand. It was
    one of their advertised deals and I didn't make any modifications to the
    order. It's a pretty nice machine with i5-750 processor, 6G RAM, 1TB HD, AMD
    Radeon 5450 (1GB), and ST2210 monitor. My only gripe is that they didn't
    include an HDMI cable with a machine capable of using one.

    Martin Walker, Mar 6, 2010
  14. Daddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 3/5/2010 7:09 PM, Tom Scales wrote:

> [...]

    All emptors should caveat like you did! Beware of the sales on the Ides
    of March, coming up real soon now. Now with Staples loading up the
    aisles with computer gear, in response to the demise of Circuit City,
    and with Staples now advertising "services", one can surmise that
    Staples will begin playing the same sticker tricks that Best Buy plays.
    It's almost like going into a used car lot, which is probably where
    the Best Buy marketing types went to pick up this sort of sticker price
    inflation... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 6, 2010
  15. Daddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 3/5/2010 11:46 AM, Daddy wrote:
    > William R. Walsh wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >>> You bought a computer from Best Buy?

    >> Ben said it very well. If you know exactly what you want (and maybe if
    >> they've got a good deal going), and what you're getting, there's no
    >> problem buying from there. And that includes computers.
    >>
    >> Just ignore the 'Geek Squad', extended warranties (unless there is an
    >> absolutely screaming good deal on one) and anything else, get what you
    >> want and get out.
    >>
    >> Best Buy and related stores do very well when you need something *now*
    >> as well.
    >>
    >> William

    > "You pays your money and you takes your choice."
    >
    > Daddy

    Or as the old saying goes, "Caveat Emptor!" ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 6, 2010
  16. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Tom Scales wrote:

> [...]

    Alright.

    I wonder: What is the big deal about not including a Windows disk? What
    made the OEMs stop including one with their PCs?

    Is it an issue of support? Maybe the OEMs don't want to have to deal
    with people who mess up their computers by (mis)using their Windows
    disc? Or maybe they don't want their script-reading support techs to
    walk people through re-installing Windows -- something neither party
    really understands?

    I don't know about that. In the first place, Dell has no warranty
    obligation if I mess up my computer by playing with Windows. And they
    can always tell their script-readers that re-installing Windows is not
    supported so you're not allowed to advise doing so.

    Or maybe it's big bad Microsoft trying to cut down on the number of
    Windows discs in circulation, as a way of to combat 'piracy'?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 6, 2010
  17. Daddy

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 3/6/2010 2:20 AM, Daddy wrote:
    > Tom Scales wrote:

    Why no Windows DVD/CD? If you don't pack one in the box, it is one less
    item on the pick less, one less task for the packer to do, one less
    DVD/CD to have duplicated a zillion times. Add up all the pennies
    saved, and it is pennies earned. Ka-ching.

    Whether to include or not include a Windows DVD/CD in the box may also
    be influenced by contracts with Microsoft to distribute various flavors
    of Windows. After all, if the Windows DVD/CD is not in the box and
    something goes way wrong, anything, the owner does not have the
    conveneient wherewithal to do a repair. More "broken" and
    non-functional computers means more of them for the landfill, and more
    replacements sold. Ka-ching for Micro$oft. Ka-ching for the OEM.
    Everyone is a winner, except the buyer of the computer.

    Microsoft makes enough obstacles against piracy with its product
    activation, WGA, ad nauseam. But, the real pirates are never stopped.

    It's all about the Benjamins, but not me... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 6, 2010
  18. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    RnR wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 01:57:06 -0500, Daddy <>
    > wrote:

    Touché!

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 6, 2010
  19. Daddy

    ~~Alan~~ Guest

    "Daddy" <> wrote in message
    > Attention All:
    >
    > Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
    > disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
    >
    > Not any more.
    >
    > "Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the box
    > for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery disks in
    > case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery disks,
    > there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery media."
    >
    > https://support.dell.com/support/to...d=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    > Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
    > piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.
    >
    > And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
    > recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm negotiating
    > with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article was first
    > published.
    >
    > Daddy

    I work in a Dell Shop (we buy exclusively from Dell) and at our recent
    holiday party, we raffeled of 4 Dell Vostro 220 machines that Dell
    accidently sent us but because they did not fit into our model (we buy
    OptiPlexes) we rejected them. Dell thought it was too expensive to take
    them back so they wrote them off and said we can do what we want with them.

    I was fortunate to have won one of these Vostro systems and I looked up the
    system by service tag and lo and behold what did I find but the date of
    Manufacture.

    If you got a Recovery CD with a system you just bought or not, why not look
    up your system by service tag, tell us where and/or how you obtained your
    system, post your results here and maybe, just maybe we can see a pattern if
    Dell is supplying recovery platters or not.

    Just a thought.

    ~~Alan~~, Mar 7, 2010
  20. Daddy

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <hmppmt$oce$-september.org>,
    Daddy <> wrote:
    >Attention All:
    >
    >Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
    >disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.
    >
    >Not any more.
    >
    >"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
    >box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
    >disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
    >disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
    >media."
    >
    >https://support.dell.com/support/to...d=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E12942&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    >Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
    >piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.

    I just bought a retail Dell Inspiron 1464 yesterday. I'd buy a
    Windows disk if I could. This is my first modern Dell and I'm trying
    to figure out my backup/recovery options and the Dell support site. It
    used to be good. This post is timely.

    I can't find anything like "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" on the
    machine, It's right out of the box. I also don't see it on Dell
    support.

    Suggestions?
    --
    Al Dykes