News from the Dell front

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sparky Spartacus, Feb 18, 2007.

  1. February 17, 2007
    After Its Founder’s Return, Many Are Leaving at Dell
    By DAMON DARLIN

    Two weeks after he returned to run the computer company that bears his
    name, Michael S. Dell is making sweeping senior management changes.

    The company announced yesterday that it had hired Ronald G. Garriques, a
    Motorola executive vice president in charge of that company’s mobile
    devices division, to run Dell’s global consumer division.

    On Wednesday, Dell announced that it had hired Michael Cannon, the chief
    executive of Solectron, a big electronics manufacturing company, to
    oversee parts procurement and manufacturing operations.

    Both positions are new, and both executives will report directly to Mr.
    Dell.

    The hiring and the realignment at the top is a reflection of Mr. Dell’s
    concern that the company urgently needs to be fixed. Its growth has
    faltered in the last 18 months, and it has faced a number of other
    problems, including federal investigations into its accounting practices.

    Dell had made several management changes just before Mr. Dell, the
    chairman and founder, reassumed the role of chief executive on Jan. 31,
    taking over from Kevin B. Rollins.

    It has a new chief financial officer, Donald Carty, the former chief
    executive of AMR, who served on the company’s board and has also been
    taking on some of the management responsibilities of Mr. Rollins. Dell
    has also hired a top executive of Electronic Data Systems, Stephen F.
    Schuckenbrock, to expand its consulting and services business to large
    corporations.

    Mr. Dell has told employees that he is searching for a chief marketing
    officer, another new position, to consolidate and manage the company’s
    marketing efforts across all product lines. Mr. Dell is also looking for
    an executive to run the European operations. Paul D. Bell, a senior vice
    president who held that job, has been transferred back to the company’s
    headquarters in Round Rock, Tex., to head its Americas sales division.

    The restructuring of Dell’s management and the hiring of Mr. Garriques
    signals a new company emphasis on the consumer market. Only about 15
    percent of Dell’s $56 billion in worldwide revenue last year came from
    consumer products.

    That has put Dell at a disadvantage as corporate PC sales slowed and
    consumer sales boomed. Hewlett-Packard, which has a much stronger
    consumer operation, beat Dell to become the No. 1 PC vendor in 2006.

    Under Mr. Rollins, the consumer sector was given short shrift. Indeed,
    he said in an interview last year that “we have a love-hate relationship
    with the consumer PC buyer.”

    Mr. Dell wants to show more love. Mr. Garriques will be responsible for
    all consumer products Dell sells, including PCs, printers and TVs. His
    portfolio will also include product design. Analysts have faulted Dell’s
    product design, particularly for its notebooks, and said that was one
    reason that Dell’s notebooks have suffered at the hands of competitors
    like Hewlett-Packard, Sony and Acer.

    “The problem is that the market shifted,” said Steven Baker, an analyst
    with NPD, which collects and analyzes consumer market data. “A lot of
    their problems are strategic and structural.”

    Mr. Garriques, an engineer with an eye for design, is credited with
    helping recharge Motorola’s phone sales after he was given
    responsibility for the unit in 2004. He helped build Motorola’s handset
    business into a $28 billion global business largely because of the Razr
    phone.

    But sales have been lackluster of late. A report issued yesterday by
    Daryl Armstrong, an analyst at Citigroup Research, said senior
    management was unhappy with the handset division’s recent performance.

    Mr. Garriques’s background suggested to analysts that Dell might make a
    foray back into hand-helds and might even try the cellphone business.
    Dell has had little success selling hand-helds, printers and televisions.

    As Mr. Dell recruits executives from outside, a number of Dell
    executives are leaving. In addition to Mr. Rollins and James Schneider,
    the former chief financial officer, they include John Hamlin, senior
    vice president for global online business and marketing; Paul McKinnon,
    the head of human resources; Rosendo G. Parra, senior vice president for
    the home and small-business group, and Glenn E. Neland, senior vice
    president for procurement.

    Mr. Dell also said yesterday that as part of his efforts to cut
    bureaucracy and bring in fresh ideas, Dell had set up a Web site called
    Idea Storm, at dellideastorm.com, that allows customers to suggest new
    products and services and discuss the proposals.

    Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company
    Sparky Spartacus, Feb 18, 2007

  2. Sparky Spartacus

    BigJim Guest

    one thing he didn't do was to fire the India support staff.

    BigJim, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Sparky Spartacus

    Harry Guest

    > February 17, 2007
    > After Its Founder’s Return, Many Are Leaving at Dell
    > By DAMON DARLIN
    >
    > Two weeks after he returned to run the computer company that bears his
    > name, Michael S. Dell is making sweeping senior management changes.

    <snip>

    >...Dell had set up a Web site called Idea Storm, at dellideastorm.com, that
    >allows customers to suggest new products and services and discuss the
    >proposals.

    I just finished surffing that web site for about 15 minutes. There are
    already a number of suggestions and comments posted. It will be interesting
    to see how it matures and the results that Dell, Inc., incorporates into
    their programs and plans.

    Thanks for the heads-up on that, Damon.

    Harry
    Harry
    Harry, Feb 18, 2007
  4. BigJim wrote:
    > one thing he didn't do was to fire the India support staff.

    LOL! :(
    Sparky Spartacus, Feb 18, 2007