Newsreaders

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Oct 27, 2013.

  1. So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
    Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?

    I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
    I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
    tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?

    -- Michelle

    --
    I'm a year older than I was exactly one year ago.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Oct 27, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Lloyd Guest

    In article <l4jfnl$995$>, Michelle Steiner
    <email@> wrote:

    > So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
    > Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?
    >
    > I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
    > I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
    > tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?
    >
    > -- Michelle


    If you liked MTNW, you'll like Thoth because they are very similar.
    The setup is a bit more convoluted but otherwise it is very much what
    you are used to. I just paid for mine.

    I did buy Unison, and it is very nice in many respects. I really can't
    fault it for text groups, which is all I do. But in the end I'll
    probably end up using Thoth.

    --
    Lloyd
     
    Lloyd, Oct 27, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Davoud Guest

    Michelle Steiner:
    > So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
    > Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?


    > I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
    > I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
    > tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?


    Thoth is a solid, reliable, plain-vanilla newsreader. It has served me
    since, well, since I-don't-know-when. Version 1.9.0.22, which is
    somewhere near the latest version, is going strong under Mavericks.

    --
    I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that
    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
     
    Davoud, Oct 27, 2013
    #3
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Lloyd Guest

    In article <271020131301063819%>, Davoud <>
    wrote:

    > Michelle Steiner:
    > > So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
    > > Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?

    >
    > > I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
    > > I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
    > > tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?

    >
    > Thoth is a solid, reliable, plain-vanilla newsreader. It has served me
    > since, well, since I-don't-know-when. Version 1.9.0.22, which is
    > somewhere near the latest version, is going strong under Mavericks.


    That is the current version, or at least the current released, non-beta
    version.

    Got it yesterday in 'trial' version, went through the god-awful
    configuration and in the end it works wonderfully, just as it always
    did.

    So since I like to encourage software developers, I bought it just as I
    did with Unison the day before yesterday.

    Thoth is very MTNW like in many respects.

    Unison is a slicker interface, more in line with other OSX apps.

    Both are excellent!

    --
    Lloyd
     
    Lloyd, Oct 27, 2013
    #4
  5. On 2013-10-27 17:36:30 +0000, Lloyd said:

    > In article <271020131301063819%>, Davoud <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Michelle Steiner:
    >>> So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
    >>> Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?

    >>
    >>> I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
    >>> I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
    >>> tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?

    >>
    >> Thoth is a solid, reliable, plain-vanilla newsreader. It has served me
    >> since, well, since I-don't-know-when. Version 1.9.0.22, which is
    >> somewhere near the latest version, is going strong under Mavericks.

    >
    > That is the current version, or at least the current released, non-beta
    > version.
    >
    > Got it yesterday in 'trial' version, went through the god-awful
    > configuration and in the end it works wonderfully, just as it always
    > did.
    >
    > So since I like to encourage software developers, I bought it just as I
    > did with Unison the day before yesterday.
    >
    > Thoth is very MTNW like in many respects.
    >
    > Unison is a slicker interface, more in line with other OSX apps.
    >
    > Both are excellent!


    Let me go on a bit.

    Thoth, just like MTNW, breaks long links on other readers. Not a
    problem if you are only in Mac newsgroups, but for others it is an
    issue. Even Unison doesn't do that, but Unison definitely will see the
    link as broken.

    --
    Lloyd
     
    Lloyd E Parsons, Oct 27, 2013
    #5
  6. Michelle Steiner

    Jolly Roger Guest

    On 2013-10-27, Michelle Steiner <email@michelle> wrote:
    > So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
    > Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?
    >
    > I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
    > I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
    > tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?


    I felt like Unison was lacking as well. Lots of folks here like MacSOUP.
    Wasn't Thoth created with stolen code, or something to that effect?
    There's no way in hell you could convince me to switch to a Windows news
    client.

    I'm loving slrn with vim as a replacement, so far. I'm very much a power
    user though, and am very comfortable using command-line tools. But if
    power features are what you appreciate, slrn is definitely worth a look,
    IMO.

    --
    E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
    I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

    JR
     
    Jolly Roger, Oct 27, 2013
    #6
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Sn!pe Guest

    Lloyd E Parsons <> wrote:

    [...]

    > Thoth, just like MTNW, breaks long links on other readers. Not a
    > problem if you are only in Mac newsgroups, but for others it is an
    > issue. Even Unison doesn't do that, but Unison definitely will see the
    > link as broken.


    MacSOUP no longer breaks URLs in the latest version 2.8.4* and
    works well on Maverick. It is still actively maintained by the
    author, Stefan Haller.


    * the recent update

    --
    ^Ï^. Sn!pe <>

    My pet rock Gordon just is.
     
    Sn!pe, Oct 27, 2013
    #7
  8. On 2013-10-27 19:58:35 +0000, Sn!pe said:

    > Lloyd E Parsons <> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> Thoth, just like MTNW, breaks long links on other readers. Not a
    >> problem if you are only in Mac newsgroups, but for others it is an
    >> issue. Even Unison doesn't do that, but Unison definitely will see the
    >> link as broken.

    >
    > MacSOUP no longer breaks URLs in the latest version 2.8.4* and
    > works well on Maverick. It is still actively maintained by the
    > author, Stefan Haller.
    >
    >
    > * the recent update


    Good to know.

    How does it handle the broken links from Thoth/MTNW? Unison seems to
    handle them though it does show them as broken.

    --
    Lloyd
     
    Lloyd E Parsons, Oct 27, 2013
    #8
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Sn!pe Guest

    Lloyd E Parsons <> wrote:

    > On 2013-10-27 19:58:35 +0000, Sn!pe said:


    [...]

    > > MacSOUP no longer breaks URLs in the latest version 2.8.4* and
    > > works well on Maverick. It is still actively maintained by the
    > > author, Stefan Haller.
    > >

    >
    > Good to know.
    >
    > How does it handle the broken links from Thoth/MTNW? Unison seems to
    > handle them though it does show them as broken.
    >


    I can't honestly say that I've noticed, but then I'm quite used to
    reassembling broken links simply by highlighting the whole link.
    MacSOUP strips out the 'newline' characters nicely. Of course,
    this doesn't work if there are '>' quote marks in the URL lines.

    --
    ^Ï^. Sn!pe <>

    My pet rock Gordon just is.
     
    Sn!pe, Oct 27, 2013
    #9
  10. On 2013-10-27 21:50:08 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

    > On 2013-10-27, Michelle Steiner <email@michelle> wrote:
    >> On 2013-10-27 19:57:23 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
    >>
    >>> Wasn't Thoth created with stolen code, or something to that effect?

    >>
    >> Thoth's predecessor, a NewsWatcher varient, was based on NewsWatcher,
    >> of course, and therefore was free. Thoth's developer says that he
    >> didn't use any NW code in Thoth. Some (many?) dispute that.

    >
    > Yep. That's it. No thanks.
    >
    >>> I'm loving slrn with vim as a replacement, so far. I'm very much a power
    >>> user though, and am very comfortable using command-line tools. But if
    >>> power features are what you appreciate, slrn is definitely worth a look,
    >>> IMO.

    >>
    >> I'll stick with a GUI reader; if I wanted CLI, I'd have gone with Linux
    >> or something.

    >
    > To each, his own, of course. : )
    >
    > Ultimately, I'd write a new Mac Usenet client and try to re-think the
    > whole idea of a Usenet client while I'm at it. Until that day, I'm
    > looking for whatever gets me by while meeting as many of my needs as
    > possible. So far, slrn exceeds mtnw in terms of raw functionality, at
    > the expense of ease of use. But since I'm already very familiar with
    > command-line tools, that aspect doesn't bother me a whole lot. I usually
    > have Terminal running anyway. Not a huge change for me.


    Glad to hear you like it. I've been following the discussion about it
    a bit as interesting. Personally I can't remember the last time I ran
    a terminal session, and don't look forward to ever doing it again!

    It is great that we have these choices! I encouraged both Unison's and
    Thoth's developers by buying a copy of each. Not a big deal and I
    spend more than that on smokes in a month! :)

    --
    Lloyd
     
    Lloyd E Parsons, Oct 27, 2013
    #10
  11. Michelle Steiner <email@> wrote:

    > So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
    > Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?
    >
    > I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
    > I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
    > tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?
    >
    > -- Michelle


    Well I'd avoid Hogwasher to begin with - it's essentially unsupported,
    unfixed for years. It was buggy back in the 90's, and is even more buggy
    today. Yet the dev still charges for it.

    I've never been a fan of Thoth, but that's more about the dev's temper
    tantrums and off and on again support. Still, of the three you mention
    I'd pick Thoth.

    But I still prefer MacSOUP, and would chose tin over all of them on OS X
    10.9, if MacSOUP didn't exist. Or maybe one of the GUI X-Windows
    clients.

    MT-NW was only ever my backup to MacSOUP, for those rare occasions I
    need to browse groups I'm not subbed to in MacSOUP, or binaries which
    MacSOUP doesn't handle well (you can save the articles as text files and
    drag onto a decoder app, but it's painful). Otherwise MacSOUP all the
    way! :)
    --
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
     
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 27, 2013
    #11
  12. Michelle Steiner

    Savageduck Guest

    On 2013-10-27 21:39:33 +0000, Lloyd <> said:

    > In article <l4k0uc$r6j$>, Michelle Steiner
    > <email@> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2013-10-27 21:10:33 +0000, Lloyd said:
    >>
    >>> Bill, if you do a Google on Unison and Thoth, you can get trial
    >>> versions of both with no problem. I think both give 30 day trials with
    >>> some limitations, but the limitations are not so severe that you
    >>> couldn't get a feel for which you like.

    >>
    >> Unison's trial version is for one week, but as far as I can tell, there
    >> are no other limitations on it. Thoth's is 30 days with a few
    >> limitations.
    >>
    >> -- Michelle

    >
    > thanks for the correction, I couldn't remember.
    >
    > I bought both! :)


    I have been a Unison user for a few years now, with MT-NW for occasional use.
    Now with the move to Mavericks from OSX 10.6.8 I am left with Unison,
    but it works for me.
    Personally I prefer the older Unison 1.8.1 over the latest release and
    I use that almost exclusively. That is available from Panic's support
    page, if you want to make the comparison.
    < http://www.panic.com/unison/support.html >

    --
    Regards,

    Savageduck
     
    Savageduck, Oct 27, 2013
    #12
  13. Michelle Steiner

    dorayme Guest

    In article <l4jrle$nm4$>,
    Lloyd E Parsons <> wrote:

    > On 2013-10-27 19:58:35 +0000, Sn!pe said:
    >
    > > Lloyd E Parsons <> wrote:
    > >
    > > [...]
    > >
    > >> Thoth, just like MTNW, breaks long links on other readers. Not a
    > >> problem if you are only in Mac newsgroups, but for others it is an
    > >> issue. Even Unison doesn't do that, but Unison definitely will see the
    > >> link as broken.

    > >
    > > MacSOUP no longer breaks URLs in the latest version 2.8.4* and
    > > works well on Maverick. It is still actively maintained by the
    > > author, Stefan Haller.
    > >
    > >
    > > * the recent update

    >
    > Good to know.
    >
    > How does it handle the broken links from Thoth/MTNW? Unison seems to
    > handle them though it does show them as broken.


    Broken links are not the biggest problem for most of us surely, or at
    least, they are easy to fix with a bit of cut and paste and
    backspacing and maybe a snip here and there. It is interesting to hear
    what programs folk are using to replace MTNW.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Oct 27, 2013
    #13
  14. Michelle Steiner

    M-M Guest

    Thoth is almost exactly like MT. Give it a try.
    m-m

    In article <l4jfnl$995$>, Michelle Steiner
    <email@> wrote:

    > So what is the consensus for a newsreader to replace MTNW on Mavericks?
    > Thoth, Unison, Hogwasher, something else?
    >
    > I'm trying Unison, and I'm not all that happy with it, but I guess that
    > I could learn to live with it. I've downloaded Thoth, but haven't
    > tried it yet; is it worth giving it a try?
    >
    > -- Michelle
     
    M-M, Oct 27, 2013
    #14
  15. Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > On 2013-10-27, Michelle Steiner <email@michelle> wrote:
    > > On 2013-10-27 21:50:08 +0000, Jolly Roger said:
    > >
    > >> Ultimately, I'd write a new Mac Usenet client and try to re-think the
    > >> whole idea of a Usenet client while I'm at it.

    > >
    > > Go for it; put everything else on hold.

    >
    > One of these days, maybe...


    *prod* *annoy* *bother* *makes your usb cables and hubs a giant loop
    that never actually connects to your Mac*
    --
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
     
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 27, 2013
    #15
  16. Michelle Steiner

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <271020131924437074%>, M-M
    <> wrote:

    > Thoth is almost exactly like MT. Give it a try.
    > m-m


    Just trying the Thoth trial. I can't find a setting to tell Thoth to
    download new postings from the server every x minutes. Where do I set
    that? I think I found everything else I need, but only time will tell.

    Not impressed by the text-only doccy. Why didn't he do it properly (in,
    say, Pages) and issue a PDF?

    But I think I prefer it over Unison, which tries to be too clever with
    its interface.
     
    Tim Streater, Oct 27, 2013
    #16
  17. Michelle Steiner

    M-M Guest

    In article <271020132342542235%>, Tim Streater
    <> wrote:

    > Just trying the Thoth trial. I can't find a setting to tell Thoth to
    > download new postings from the server every x minutes. Where do I set
    > that? I think I found everything else I need, but only time will tell.


    Like MT-NW, cmd-Y will fetch new articles from your group list.

    m-m
     
    M-M, Oct 28, 2013
    #17
  18. Michelle Steiner

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <271020132009474840%>, M-M
    <> wrote:

    > In article <271020132342542235%>, Tim Streater
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Just trying the Thoth trial. I can't find a setting to tell Thoth to
    > > download new postings from the server every x minutes. Where do I set
    > > that? I think I found everything else I need, but only time will tell.

    >
    > Like MT-NW, cmd-Y will fetch new articles from your group list.


    Yes, I know that, thanks, but I want Thoth to download new posts every
    x mins. I keep a groups window open in MT-MW and glance at it from time
    to time to decide whether it's worth having a look at new posts. I want
    to be able to do the same in Thoth.

    --
    Tim

    "That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
    nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689
     
    Tim Streater, Oct 28, 2013
    #18
  19. On 2013-10-28 00:09:47 +0000, M-M said:

    > In article <271020132342542235%>, Tim Streater
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just trying the Thoth trial. I can't find a setting to tell Thoth to
    >> download new postings from the server every x minutes. Where do I set
    >> that? I think I found everything else I need, but only time will tell.

    >
    > Like MT-NW, cmd-Y will fetch new articles from your group list.
    >
    > m-m


    I know I saw that when I was setting things up, but now I cannot find
    the auto download of postings. I know it has to be there.

    One thing I've not found in Thoth is how to make the cursor
    automagically go to the end of a posting when I reply. Anyone??
    --
    Lloyd
     
    Lloyd E Parsons, Oct 28, 2013
    #19
  20. Michelle Steiner

    Lewis Guest

    In message <271020132342542235%>
    Tim Streater <> wrote:
    > Not impressed by the text-only doccy. Why didn't he do it properly (in,
    > say, Pages) and issue a PDF?


    Because he wasn't able to find someone else who'd already done it that
    he could steal from.


    --
    According to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle, chaos is found in greatest
    abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order,
    because it is better organized.
     
    Lewis, Oct 28, 2013
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Earle Jones

    NewsReaders -- Which one is best?

    Earle Jones, May 3, 2007, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    401
    Michelle Steiner
    May 27, 2007
  2. barcaroller

    Mac newsreaders...

    barcaroller, Dec 11, 2007, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    332
    Dozer Hill
    Jan 4, 2008
  3. Nick Naym
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    228
    Dan L.
    Nov 26, 2008
  4. nospam
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    646
    nospam
    Aug 22, 2009
  5. David Fritzinger

    Newsreaders

    David Fritzinger, Oct 24, 2013, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    710
    Michelle Steiner
    Oct 28, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page