    difference?

    Thanks for any advise.

    Scott

    SL, Oct 4, 2006

  2. SL

    Dylan C Guest

    SL wrote:
    > I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
    > so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
    > modern games. Two questions:
    > 1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
    > cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
    > X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
    > 2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
    > difference?
    >
    > Thanks for any advise.
    >
    > Scott

    The fastest stock CPU would be right around an XP 3200+ (2.2GHz) going
    for ~$80 in ebay. There are a few different mobile CPUs that will go up
    to about 2.5GHz but they'll run $90-$100. Meanwhile a 939 3800+ costs
    $110. probaly another $75 and you've got a decent board, too. I'm not
    much on games or video cards, so I'll leave that alone.

    bottom line: upgrade the whole platform

    -dylan C

    Dylan C, Oct 4, 2006

  3. SL

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:42:03 +0000, SL wrote:

    > I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
    > so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
    > modern games. Two questions:
    > 1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
    > cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
    > X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
    > 2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
    > difference?

    Don't waste any more money on this MB/CPU. Overclock the one you have. If
    it's a B core (CPUID 681), it should clock up to about 2400MHz by raising
    vcore and rasing the FSB.

    Wes Newell, Oct 4, 2006
  4. SL

    Zadok Guest

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:42:03 GMT, "SL" <> wrote:

    >I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
    >so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
    >modern games. Two questions:
    >1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
    >cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
    >X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
    >2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
    >difference?
    >
    >Thanks for any advise.
    >
    >Scott

    Bottleneck with that CPU is a given. I like Nvidia so the 6800 would
    be my choice. XP3200+ is the fastest for your MOBO. Be sure you have 1
    gb ram at least. I have the NF7s and put a 7800 GS in mine with an
    XP3000+. Right now I'm playing Warhammer4000DOW & WA with everything
    on high perfectly. It gags on Oblivion.

    In hindsight I should have spent less on the videocard but as is I'm
    going to wait at least 6-8 months for a new system. The XP3200+ goes
    for $130-150 but the 3000+ can be had cheaper as it's less desireable.
    > I'd like to play some of the modern games

    It all depends on the game. After Christmas $1500 will get you a very
    nice system with PCIe e6600 2 gb ram and a nice case. My spare system
    was very similar to yours and I just sold it to a friend for $200.
    Save your money.

    -- Zadok

    Zadok, Oct 4, 2006
  5. SL

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <tPHUg.19948$Oh3.7401@trnddc04>,
    says...

    > On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:42:03 +0000, SL wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
    > > so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
    > > modern games. Two questions:
    > > 1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
    > > cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
    > > X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
    > > 2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
    > > difference?
    > >

    > Don't waste any more money on this MB/CPU. Overclock the one you have. If
    > it's a B core (CPUID 681), it should clock up to about 2400MHz by raising
    > vcore and rasing the FSB.

    I have the same mobo, but I'm running an XP 1700 instead of a 2300, and
    I'm not a gamer, so I'm not really too interested in upgrading the video
    card I have. I have 1GB of RAM installed. Would your answer still be the
    same for my scenario, or is it worth considering replacement of the 1700
    with a 3200 (or something else in between)?

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Oct 4, 2006
  6. SL

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 12:41:49 -0500, Dave Garrett wrote:

    > In article <tPHUg.19948$Oh3.7401@trnddc04>,
    > says...
    >
    >> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 01:42:03 +0000, SL wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've got a NF7-M with a Athlon 2300 xp cpu that does about everything I need
    >> > so don't want to invest in a new mb. However, I'd like to play some of the
    >> > modern games. Two questions:
    >> > 1) What is the fastest video card I can put into this machine before the
    >> > cpu becomes a bottleneck? I'm looking at GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB AGP, Radeon
    >> > X800 XT 256MB AGP, or RADEON X850 XT AGP.
    >> > 2) What's the fast cpu I can put into this mb, and would it really make any
    >> > difference?
    >> >

    >> Don't waste any more money on this MB/CPU. Overclock the one you have. If
    >> it's a B core (CPUID 681), it should clock up to about 2400MHz by raising
    >> vcore and rasing the FSB.

    > I have the same mobo, but I'm running an XP 1700 instead of a 2300, and
    > I'm not a gamer, so I'm not really too interested in upgrading the video
    > card I have. I have 1GB of RAM installed. Would your answer still be the
    > same for my scenario, or is it worth considering replacement of the 1700
    > with a 3200 (or something else in between)?

    If it's a Tbred B core, then the same applies. If it's a Palomino or tbred
    A core, then you can probably get about 1800MHz out of it. BTW, a
    3200+/400 won't work at full speed in that board unless the FSB rated at
    166MHz will overclock to 200MHz (400FSB). Besides a new AM2 MB and Sempron
    3000+ would be faster and cost less than the XP CPU alone. If you want to
    replace the CPU, a cheap alternative would be a Duron 1600 with 12x
    multiplier for $25 at Newegg. Just set the FSB to 166Mhz and raise vcore
    to 1.65v and it'll run a 2.0GHz There's lots of options, but I sure
    wouldn't spend more than $40 for a new CPU.

    Wes Newell, Oct 4, 2006