    the bios any more

    Help please?

    CC James Turner

    James Turner, Jan 10, 2007

  2. James Turner

    James Turner Guest

    And to my recently posted request; My computer comes on and stands in a
    state that is running but the hard disk LED is lighted and no information
    appears at all on the screen or monitor screen. I would really like to get
    some sort of addvice on this if someone out there might be able to help.

    Thanks all

    cc

    James Turner, Jan 10, 2007

  3. James Turner

    James Turner Guest

    I have also tried many thing to get the bios to clear: I changed the jumper
    from 1-2 to 2-3 and back again, did the start process by holding down the
    insert key and removed the battry from the motherboard, and still can't get
    the system to load even the bios

    please cc

    James Turner, Jan 10, 2007
  4. James Turner wrote:

    | Recently I purchased a new sempron2400+ and installed it. The
    | processor wouldn't run, it run for 10 ro 20 seconds and shutdown
    | so I put back the Amd 850GHz processor that I had on the mother-
    | board before the new Sempron, and attempted to save the bios
    | back to the 850GHz speed the computer stoped during the save
    | and I shutdown and rebooted and have not been able to get to
    | the bios any more
    |
    | Help please?
    |
    | CC James Turner

    Hi James -

    Unfortunately, from your description of things, your BIOS has gone corrupt.
    If the computer simply stops during the save (when the big red banner is on
    the screen) you're boned and either need a new BIOS chip or a reflash
    external to your board.

    I have written a page that discusses recovering from the BootBlock BIOS
    (which won't help) .. but later on the page I go on to discuss a number of
    options regarding hot-flashing or obtaining a new BIOS chip from Abit.

    Have a look at http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html

    Sorry for the bad news.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jan 10, 2007
  5. James Turner

    c Guest

    James Turner wrote:
    > Recently I purchased a new sempron2400+ and installed it. The processor
    > wouldn't run, it run for 10 ro 20 seconds and shutdown so I put back the Amd
    > 850GHz processor that I had on the motherboard before the new Sempron, and
    > attempted to save the bios back to the 850GHz speed the computer stoped
    > during the save and I shutdown and rebooted and have not been able to get to
    > the bios any more
    >
    > Help please?
    >
    > CC James Turner

    You can try creating a flash disk the way you normally would, then add
    an autoexec.bat file that has the flash command and all of the necessary
    switches in it. I have saved a few bad BIOS flashes this way. There are
    instructions for the proper switches on the Abit site.

    Chris

    c, Jan 10, 2007
  6. James Turner

    James Turner Guest

    Hell Bird Man,
    I have received my new bios chip and now the alarm is ring non-stop. What
    can I do to stop this? When I got the new chip and installed it I was
    getting some bios lock ups sometimes before the detection of the hard drive
    and sometimes after I had intered into the bios. Hope that there is
    something that I can do to correct this. Over all the board is working well
    except for the alarm.

    Thanks for any and all help

    James' Corrupt Bios

    "Bird Janitor®" <> wrote in
    message news:ae9ph.61355$...

    James Turner, Jan 16, 2007
  7. James Turner wrote:

    | Hell Bird Man,
    | I have received my new bios chip and now the alarm is ring non-stop.
    | What can I do to stop this? When I got the new chip and installed it
    | I was getting some bios lock ups sometimes before the detection of
    | the hard drive and sometimes after I had intered into the bios. Hope
    | that there is something that I can do to correct this. Over all the board
    | is working well except for the alarm.
    |
    | Thanks for any and all help
    |
    | James' Corrupt Bios

    Hi James -

    I didn't know there were any birds (or bird men) in Hell... ;-}

    In any event, could you describe the beeping you're getting, in terms of the
    following list:

    Jef

    Basic Beep Codes for ABIT AWARD BIOS Motherboards

    No beep at all - this means your motherboard is dead, either due to a
    defective or underpowered power supply, poorly seated CPU or RAM, or a
    dead-on-arrival board

    1 short (Beep) System booting is normally

    1 long beep then machine shuts down - faulty, improperly installed or
    missing CPU

    2 short (Beep) CMOS setting error

    1 long - 1 short (Beep) DRAM ERROR

    1 long - 2 short (Beep) Display card or monitor connected error

    1 long - 3 short (Beep) Keyboard Error

    1 long - 9 short (Beep) ROM Error

    Long (Beep) continuous - DRAM isn't inserted correctly

    Short (Beep) continuous - POWER supply has a problem

    A two-tone siren - generally caused by overheating or out of specification
    voltages

    Four beeps then machine shuts down - this is because this version of the
    BIOS will shut down your machine if no fan tachometer signal is detected on
    the fan header. Make sure you attach a fan to the CPUFAN header or clear
    CMOS to reset to default (no checking).

    Bird Janitor®, Jan 16, 2007
  8. James Turner

    James Turner Guest

    It sounds like its the two-tone siren its going all the time I'm using the
    computer to post this message. I have also found that if I try to restart it
    get caught at detecting the HD. I'm sure that there is no over heating. A
    message appears sometime saying that outlook is trying to send a message on
    my behalf.

    James

    Ha
    "Bird Janitor®" <> wrote in
    message news:56Wqh.67720$...

    James Turner, Jan 16, 2007
  9. James Turner wrote:

    | It sounds like its the two-tone siren its going all the time I'm using the
    | computer to post this message. I have also found that if I try to restart
    | it get caught at detecting the HD. I'm sure that there is no over heating.
    | A message appears sometime saying that outlook is trying to send a
    | message on my behalf.
    |
    | James

    Hi James -

    The two-tone siren comes up as a result of overheating *or* out of
    specification voltages.

    What are the voltages reported in the PC Health section of your BIOS for the
    +12v, +5v and +3.3v rails? Who makes your PSU and what are the ratings on
    the overall wattage and each of the positive rails (from the label on the
    side of the unit itself)?

    Are you sure you're not overheating? How? What is your CPU temperature
    when the siren goes off?

    Did you reapply a thin layer of thermal paste when you installed the new
    CPU?

    All questions .. but this is the basis for the two-tone siren.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jan 16, 2007
  10. James Turner

    James Turner Guest

    You are right it is alarms at a 75 c/ temptature, the pc health status reads
    CPU Warn Tempt 75c/167f/, Sys Temp 34c/93f, CPUtemp 74c/165f, Cpu Core
    Voltage 1.76 v, Vcc Voltage (+2.5V) 2.68 (var), I/O Voltage (+3.3V) 3.40 v
    (var), + 5 V 5.22 V, +12 V 12.22 V, -12 V -12.53 V, - 5 V -5.20 V, 3.3V
    Dual Voltage 3.65 V, and Last Standby Voltage (+5V) 5.62 V. The are the
    numbers that are listed in the PC Health Status.

    My PSU is made by Dynex and it is 350W Power Supply the above number is what
    show in PC Health Status. It is a BEST BUY purchase 11/11/06. It really
    seems to be working correctly. This is information from the side of the
    unit:

    DC Output : +5V-30A(red), +12v=19A(yellow), +3.3v=28A(orange), PG(Gray),

    -5V=0.5A(white), -12V=0.8A(blue), +5Vsb=2.0A(purple).

    Output Watts 350W +5V, +3.3V:210W.

    As stated above I've found that it gos off at 75 celsius, and the abit EQ
    reports the tempt at 65c now running it is not alarming at this moment.

    To day a apply a new coat of thermal paste and it has caused the change from
    a morning start of 87 to 77c tempt. Now its holding a bout 65c. I went into
    the bios to check the above status and it did not lock.

    Thanks, you have been most informing and I'm not sure but I think the
    thermal paste might be what I've been needing to put on the processor its
    holding right at about 65 now.

    James

    "Bird Janitor®" <> wrote in
    message news:dFZqh.12484$...

    James Turner, Jan 16, 2007
  11. James Turner wrote:

    | You are right it is alarms at a 75 c/ temptature, the pc health status
    | reads CPU Warn Tempt 75c/167f/, Sys Temp 34c/93f, CPUtemp
    | 74c/165f, Cpu Core Voltage 1.76 v, Vcc Voltage (+2.5V) 2.68 (var),
    | I/O Voltage (+3.3V) 3.40 v (var), + 5 V 5.22 V, +12 V 12.22 V, -12 V
    | -12.53 V, - 5 V -5.20 V, 3.3V Dual Voltage 3.65 V, and Last Standby
    | Voltage (+5V) 5.62 V. The are the numbers that are listed in the PC
    | Health Status.
    |
    | My PSU is made by Dynex and it is 350W Power Supply the above
    | number is what show in PC Health Status. It is a BEST BUY purchase
    | 11/11/06. It really seems to be working correctly. This is information
    | from the side of the unit:
    |
    | DC Output : +5V-30A(red), +12v=19A(yellow), +3.3v=28A(orange),
    | PG(Gray), -5V=0.5A(white), -12V=0.8A(blue), +5Vsb=2.0A(purple).
    |
    | Output Watts 350W +5V, +3.3V:210W.
    |
    | As stated above I've found that it gos off at 75 celsius, and the abit
    | EQ reports the tempt at 65c now running it is not alarming at this moment.
    |
    | To day a apply a new coat of thermal paste and it has caused the change
    | from a morning start of 87 to 77c tempt. Now its holding a bout 65c. I
    went
    | into the bios to check the above status and it did not lock.
    |
    | Thanks, you have been most informing and I'm not sure but I think the
    | thermal paste might be what I've been needing to put on the processor
    | its holding right at about 65 now.
    |
    | James

    Hi James -

    Your voltages look okay. Be aware, however, that 350watts total and 19A on
    the +12v rail are a tad little for an nForce2 system. You're running fine,
    so don't be looking at your PSU as a culprit now .. but be aware that Best
    Buy isn't always noted for the best quality when it comes to these units.

    As to your temperatures... 75C is a good alarm temp. 87C is far too hot and
    65C at idle is still pretty toasty.

    You need to apply a thin coat of a good quality thermal paste to your CPU.
    Look for Arctic Silver or Arctic Ceramique. Don't go with cheap Radio Shack
    crap, etc.

    Beforehand thoroughly clean the remaining thermal compound from the HSF and
    the CPU using a clean cloth and isopropl alcohol.

    Make sure both are clean and dry and completely free of debris before
    reapplying thermal paste.

    Apply a very small amount to just the CPU core and evenly and thinly spread
    it across the surface of the core only, taking care not to apply it anywhere
    else. Spread with a single edge razor or the edge of a credit card.

    Remember: the thinner the better. Too much thermal compound will act as an
    insulator. The thermal paste is ideally designed to fill the imperfections
    on the top of the CPU core and the surface of the HSF.

    Carefully reinstall your HSF, boot and allow the CPU to come up to
    temperature, carefully monitoring your temperature.

    If all works out okay, you should be able to achieve a CPU temp at idle of
    under 50C.

    Jef

    | "Bird Janitor®" <> wrote in
    | message news:dFZqh.12484$...
    | > James Turner wrote:
    | > |
    | > | It sounds like its the two-tone siren its going all the time I'm using
    | > the
    | > | computer to post this message. I have also found that if I try to
    | > restart
    | > | it get caught at detecting the HD. I'm sure that there is no over
    | > heating.
    | > | A message appears sometime saying that outlook is trying to send a
    | > | message on my behalf.
    | > |
    | > | James
    | > |

    Bird Janitor®, Jan 16, 2007
  12. James Turner

    James Turner Guest

    Jef, James here,
    It worked its running about 42c, I really appreciate all the time and help
    that you've given me with this thank you!

    James Turner

    NF7-S v2.0

    "Bird Janitor®" <> wrote in
    message news:sc8rh.67820$...

    James Turner, Jan 17, 2007
  13. James Turner wrote:

    | Jef, James here,
    | It worked its running about 42c, I really appreciate all the time and
    | help that you've given me with this thank you!
    |
    | James Turner

    Hi James -

    Much better! 42C is very acceptable.

    Happy to help.