    --
    Lucy: "You are the tiniest speck in an enormous universe."
    Snoopy: "Then I might as well go back to sleep."
    Phil Chung, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Phil Chung

    Bob Troll Guest

    On the abit site bios area it warns about loss of ieee1394 if you do not
    clear the bios with the jumper after a flash. Try bios 2.7 or 2.6 and this
    time clear the bios with the jumper and see what happens. Make sure you are
    using the proper flash utility version. Here below is the warning I
    mentioned:

    NOTE: Please use AWDFLASH 8.23D or later to update NF7 series BIOS. With
    incorrect AWDFLASH version, the GUID will be erased, and leads to IEEE1394
    peer to peer function failed. AWDFLASH 8.23D is included in this BIOS
    package.

    Regards, Bob Troll
    Bob Troll, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Phil Chung

    Jef Norton Guest

    "Phil Chung" <> wrote in message
    | I'm having a problem with Firewire on the NF7-S v2 - it's totally missing
    | from Windows! It's not listed in device manager or network connections.
    |
    | I know it used to work as I've had a digital camcorder connected to it
    | before. I've always used the correct BIOS when flashing the BIOS and
    | IEEE1394 is enabled in the BIOS.
    |
    | Can anyone help? I've only just noticed Firewire missing when I tried to
    | connect my iPod via Firewire recently.
    |
    | --
    | Lucy: "You are the tiniest speck in an enormous universe."
    | Snoopy: "Then I might as well go back to sleep."

    Hi Phil -

    In addition to Bob's advice to clear the CMOS...

    (pasted text)

    If your MAC address and/or IEEE1394 GUID have been lost on your
    NF7/NF7-M/NF7-S, the following procedure will restore them to their original
    defaults. You can confirm that these values are lost by looking at the
    hardware detection on the POST screen -- the MAC and GUID will both be all
    zeroes if these values have been lost. You will need to look at the white
    sticker on your motherboard for the original values (this sticker is
    generally on the top of the parallel port connector).

    Boot with a clean DOS diskette (no Config.sys or Autoexec.bat). The
    diskette should also include AWDFLASH.EXE version 8.23D or later.

    At the A:\ prompt, type (all on one line... command will line-wrap on the
    newsgroup):

    Awdflash.exe NF7_vvv.bin /py /sn /cc /cd /cp /nvmac:mmmmmmmmmmmm
    /nvguid:gggggggggggggggg /wb /e

    Note that the above command also refreshes the BootBlock portion of the BIOS
    (which is usually not done by default). Type "AWDFLASH.EXE /?" to display
    the purpose of the above switches.

    In the above command "vvv" is the BIOS version number (e.g. "28" for the
    latest BIOS for NF7 v1.x, NF7-M (all) and NF7-S v1.x ... or "D27" for the
    latest bios for NF7 v2.0 and NF7-S v2.0), "mmmm" is the MAC address and
    "gggg" is the IEEE1394 GUID -- Note that the help screen is incorrect -- you
    need 16 digits and not 14, as the help indicates.

    After flashing with the above command, shut down and manually clear your
    CMOS. Remove all power from the system. Move CCMOS1 to pins 2 and 3. Wait
    a few moments. Replace CCMOS1 on pins 1 and 2. Restore power. Boot your
    system and, at the POST screen, press DEL to reenter all your CMOS settings,
    starting with Load Optimised Defaults.

    Jef
    Jef Norton, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Phil Chung

    Phil Chung Guest

    On 17 Dec 2004, Jef Norton uttered the following:

    > Hi Phil -
    >
    > In addition to Bob's advice to clear the CMOS...
    >
    > (pasted text)

    Thanks for that advice (and Bob). I'll give it a try. In the end I just
    bought a Firewire card, but would be nice to get the built-in ports
    working. Is the Firewire a part of the nForce southbridge?

    Phil Chung, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Phil Chung

    Phil Chung Guest

    On 18 Dec 2004, Phil Chung uttered the following:

    > Thanks for that advice (and Bob). I'll give it a try. In the end I just
    > bought a Firewire card, but would be nice to get the built-in ports
    > working. Is the Firewire a part of the nForce southbridge?

    Okay, I've had a look and the number on the parallel port seems to be the
    MAC address for the network port. There's a label on the last PCI slot,
    but I don't want to dismantle the PC to see if it's the GUID number yet.

    After some searching, I found a posting on a forum about fixing the
    network and Firewire on an nForce motherboard. I used AWDFlash to look
    at the MAC and GUID numbers (as I don't know where on the hardware
    detection screen that has the GUID number). The command was "awdflash
    biosfile.bin /pn/sn/e" and it showed that the MAC address and GUID number
    was the same for the LAN and IEEE1394 ports.

    Is it possible, on the NF7-S v2.0, to have damaged Firewire ports and
    have everything else working perfectly?

    --
    "The plural of anecdote is not data."
    -- Roger Brinner
    Phil Chung, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Phil Chung

    Jef Norton Guest

    "Phil Chung" <> wrote in message
    | On 18 Dec 2004, Phil Chung uttered the following:
    |
    | Okay, I've had a look and the number on the parallel port seems to be the
    | MAC address for the network port. There's a label on the last PCI slot,
    | but I don't want to dismantle the PC to see if it's the GUID number yet.
    |
    | After some searching, I found a posting on a forum about fixing the
    | network and Firewire on an nForce motherboard. I used AWDFlash to look
    | at the MAC and GUID numbers (as I don't know where on the hardware
    | detection screen that has the GUID number). The command was "awdflash
    | biosfile.bin /pn/sn/e" and it showed that the MAC address and GUID number
    | was the same for the LAN and IEEE1394 ports.
    |
    | Is it possible, on the NF7-S v2.0, to have damaged Firewire ports and
    | have everything else working perfectly?

    Hi Phil -

    Yes, it's possible that the IEEE1394 controller has fried. I've encountered
    one myself.

    Jef
    Jef Norton, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Phil Chung

    Phil Chung Guest

    On 18 Dec 2004, Jef Norton uttered the following:

    > Yes, it's possible that the IEEE1394 controller has fried. I've encountered
    > one myself.

    Okay, well, everything else seems to work so I shall leave it as it is.
    The board's only a few months old, but don't want the downtime while
    sending it off for warranty replacement.

    --
    Pluto Neptune Uranus Saturn Jupiter Mars Earth Venus Mercury Sun
    . o o o O . . . . /\
    Phil Chung, Dec 19, 2004