    :) ?

    TIA
    Nick Boyce
    Nick Boyce, Feb 21, 2007

  2. Nick Boyce

    Dylan C Guest

    Nick Boyce wrote:
    > I have an NF7-S v2 system, with an Athlon XP 2600 (Barton) and 512 Mb
    > Corsair ValueSelect CAS 3-3-3-8 RAM. It all works perfectly well (no
    > overclocking) but I'd like to add another 512 Mb RAM.
    >
    > The closest match in the stock list of my usual supplier is a 512 MB
    > stick of Corsair ValueSelect CAS 2.5 RAM - and I'm wondering whether
    > there's any problem with mixing the latencies like that.
    >
    > The first 512Mb is 2x256Mb installed in the first two slots with Dual
    > Channel mode enabled, and I'd plan to leave them there and put the new
    > DIMM in the third slot.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any reason why this marriage should not take place
    > :) ?
    >
    > TIA
    > Nick Boyce

    shouldnt be a problem....just that both sticks will run at the slower speed.

    -Dylan C
    Dylan C, Feb 21, 2007

  3. Nick Boyce

    Vanguard Guest

    "Nick Boyce" <> wrote in message
    >I have an NF7-S v2 system, with an Athlon XP 2600 (Barton) and 512 Mb
    > Corsair ValueSelect CAS 3-3-3-8 RAM. It all works perfectly well (no
    > overclocking) but I'd like to add another 512 Mb RAM.
    >
    > The closest match in the stock list of my usual supplier is a 512 MB
    > stick of Corsair ValueSelect CAS 2.5 RAM - and I'm wondering whether
    > there's any problem with mixing the latencies like that.
    >
    > The first 512Mb is 2x256Mb installed in the first two slots with Dual
    > Channel mode enabled, and I'd plan to leave them there and put the new
    > DIMM in the third slot.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any reason why this marriage should not take place
    > :) ?
    >
    > TIA
    > Nick Boyce

    You don't mention speed. If you are currently running at 200 MHz FSB
    (400 MHz DDR2) to run PC-3200 memory sticks in dual-channel mode in the
    2 slots, you'll have to reduce FSB down to 166 MHz (333 MHz DDR2) to use
    all 3 slots. That's what you will lose when you go to 3 slots from 2
    slots. That's why I removed the 2 sticks and got 2 bigger ones so that
    I did not have to reduce my FSB which far more greatly affects memory
    performance and a different in CAS from 2.5 to 3.

    Read the specs section in the manual, which says:

    Supports 3 DIMMs DDR 200/266/333 (Max 3GB)
    Supports 2 DIMMs DDR 400

    Those are mutually exclusive. With 2 sticks, you get dual-channel mode
    AND 400 MHz (200 FSB). With 3 sticks, FSB reduces to 333 MHz (166 FSB).
    Your memory performance will get hit hard. Other than benchmarks,
    you'll be hard pressed to notice any real-world difference between CAS
    2.5 and 3, so run with a CAS setting of the slowest stick (i.e., highest
    CAS value).

    Also, with 3 sticks, you still get dual-channel mode for 2 slots but not
    for the 3rd slot which also impacts memory performance. Check how much
    virtual memory (pagefile) you are using. If you use lots of it, adding
    more memory even if it has to run at a slower FSB may show a boost in
    responsiveness in the system because less of the programs then have to
    be on the slower hard drive, but then simply deciding what you really
    need running and disabling the rest might accomplish a reduction in
    pagefile usage, too. Also, in Windows, you can define different
    hardware profiles and under each you can define which NT services get
    loaded. So you could have a "game" hardware profile with many NT
    services disabled so they don't consume memory.
    Vanguard, Feb 21, 2007
  4. Nick Boyce

    Nick Boyce Guest

    On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:10:21 -0600, "Vanguard" <>
    wrote:

    >"Nick Boyce" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> The first 512Mb is 2x256Mb installed in the first two slots with Dual
    >> Channel mode enabled, and I'd plan to leave them there and put the new
    >> DIMM in the third slot.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of any reason why this marriage should not take place

    [...]
    >You don't mention speed.

    Yes, sorry - I should have mentioned more details: the existing RAM is
    PC3200 but I'm more interested in running cool (=quiet) than fast so I
    left it running at the default 333 MHz (even tho the V2 mobo can do
    400MHz). It's all so much faster than my older machines that I really
    don't mind :)

    >If you are currently running at 200 MHz FSB
    >(400 MHz DDR2) to run PC-3200 memory sticks in dual-channel mode in the
    >2 slots, you'll have to reduce FSB down to 166 MHz (333 MHz DDR2) to use
    >all 3 slots.

    So I guess I won't actually lose any FSB ...

    >Also, with 3 sticks, you still get dual-channel mode for 2 slots but not
    >for the 3rd slot which also impacts memory performance.

    .... but will have to accept the hit of one stick not operating in
    dual-channel mode - I think that'll be ok (better than staying as is).

    >Check how much virtual memory (pagefile) you are using ... simply deciding
    >what you really need running and disabling the rest might accomplish a
    >reduction in pagefile usage, too.

    Um, that's very variable, depending on what I'm doing (sometimes just
    surfing, sometimes doing multimedia stuff). Usually I have spare
    physical memory ... but I'm starting to make more use so I think an
    increase will be useful.

    >Also, in Windows ...

    Ah .. I multiboot, and am in Linux a lot :)

    Thanks for your very helpful post (and thanks to Dylan too) - it's
    good to know I'm not about to do anything completely stupid :-}
    I may curdle my spread-spectrum - whatever that is :) - but the
    machine will still run fine.

    Cheers,
    Nick Boyce
    Nick Boyce, Feb 22, 2007
  5. Nick Boyce

    ned ludd Guest

    "Nick Boyce" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:10:21 -0600, "Vanguard" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Nick Boyce" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The first 512Mb is 2x256Mb installed in the first two slots with Dual
    >>> Channel mode enabled, and I'd plan to leave them there and put the new
    >>> DIMM in the third slot.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of any reason why this marriage should not take place

    > [...]
    >>You don't mention speed.

    > Yes, sorry - I should have mentioned more details: the existing RAM is
    > PC3200 but I'm more interested in running cool (=quiet) than fast so I
    > left it running at the default 333 MHz (even tho the V2 mobo can do
    > 400MHz). It's all so much faster than my older machines that I really
    > don't mind :)
    >
    >>If you are currently running at 200 MHz FSB
    >>(400 MHz DDR2) to run PC-3200 memory sticks in dual-channel mode in the
    >>2 slots, you'll have to reduce FSB down to 166 MHz (333 MHz DDR2) to use
    >>all 3 slots.

    Nonsense. That's nvidia's GUARANTEED minimum spec. Both my Abit NF7x boards
    could run 200+ with all 3 DIMM slots populated, with tight memory timings.

    > So I guess I won't actually lose any FSB ...
    >

    >>Also, with 3 sticks, you still get dual-channel mode for 2 slots but not
    >>for the 3rd slot which also impacts memory performance.

    Depends on how the memory is arranged

    > ... but will have to accept the hit of one stick not operating in
    > dual-channel mode - I think that'll be ok (better than staying as is).

    Your description of the memory on the board doesn't match Abit's labelling
    of the DIMM slots or the generic manual for nforce2 (nf7x) boards. I would
    have thought it highly unlikely that Abit altered this for your v2 board.

    In any case, the DIMM slot near the edge of the board (DIMM3) makes 1 memory
    channel, the pair closest to the CPU make up the other. If you put the 512MB
    module in DIMM3 and the 2 256MB in DIMM 1 and 2 you should have dual channel
    operation for ALL of your memory.

    <snip>
    ned ludd, Feb 22, 2007
  6. Nick Boyce

    Nick Boyce Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:36:32 GMT, "ned ludd" <>
    wrote:

    >> On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:10:21 -0600, "Vanguard" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you are currently running at 200 MHz FSB
    >>>(400 MHz DDR2) to run PC-3200 memory sticks in dual-channel mode in the
    >>>2 slots, you'll have to reduce FSB down to 166 MHz (333 MHz DDR2) to use
    >>>all 3 slots.

    >Nonsense. That's nvidia's GUARANTEED minimum spec. Both my Abit NF7x boards
    >could run 200+ with all 3 DIMM slots populated, with tight memory timings.

    Hmm ... I just dug out the manual ... on page 1-1 ("Features &
    Specifications") it says
    Supports 3 DIMMs DDR 200/266/333 (Max 3Gb)
    Supports 2 DIMMs DDR 400 (Max 2Gb)
    and on page 2-3 ("Memory Installation") it just says you can't exceed
    2Gb if you run it at 400Mhz, but can have up to 3Gb at 333MHz.

    Anyway, I'm already running the RAM at 333MHz. I won't be exceeding
    2Gb so I guess I could try ramping up the speed to 400MHz ... if it
    refuses then it's not the end of the world.

    >>>Also, with 3 sticks, you still get dual-channel mode for 2 slots but not
    >>>for the 3rd slot which also impacts memory performance.

    >Depends on how the memory is arranged
    >
    >Your description of the memory on the board doesn't match Abit's labelling
    >of the DIMM slots or the generic manual for nforce2 (nf7x) boards. I would
    >have thought it highly unlikely that Abit altered this for your v2 board.

    Sorry - I was a bit hazy there .. "it's all a long time ago" :)
    I just opened the case: I have the two existing DIMMs in slots 3 & 2
    (furthest two from the CPU). I seem to recall reading somewhere at
    the time that was necessary to enable dual-channel, though I can't
    find that instruction now.

    The slots are positioned like this appalling ASCII art :
    1 2 3
    +-----+
    | CPU | I I I
    +-----+

    I can say for certain that the POST messages always include a message
    saying the speed is 333MHz, and that (in bold font) "Dual Channel is
    enabled".

    >In any case, the DIMM slot near the edge of the board (DIMM3) makes 1 memory
    >channel, the pair closest to the CPU make up the other.

    I'm puzzled now: that would mean I should currently be using slots 1 &
    2 for dual-channel, but I seem to have it working with slots 2 & 3.
    Weirdly tho, slots 1 & 2 *are* much closer together than slots 2 & 3,
    which would tend to support your statement.

    >If you put the 512MB module in DIMM3 and the 2 x 256MB in DIMM 1 and 2
    >you should have dual channel operation for ALL of your memory.

    That would be *wonderful* ...
    I've ordered the RAM but it hasn't arrived yet - I guess all I can do
    is wait till it gets here and then try.

    Thanks for the input.
    Nick Boyce
    Nick Boyce, Feb 23, 2007
  7. Nick Boyce

    Vanguard Guest

    "ned ludd" <> wrote in message

    >>>If you are currently running at 200 MHz FSB
    >>>(400 MHz DDR2) to run PC-3200 memory sticks in dual-channel mode in
    >>>the
    >>>2 slots, you'll have to reduce FSB down to 166 MHz (333 MHz DDR2) to
    >>>use
    >>>all 3 slots.

    > Nonsense. That's nvidia's GUARANTEED minimum spec. Both my Abit NF7x
    > boards
    > could run 200+ with all 3 DIMM slots populated, with tight memory
    > timings.

    I saw no inference that the OP was interested in overclocking nor in
    testing over prolonged periods to determine maximum usable specs that
    still provide *stable* operation.

    >> ... but will have to accept the hit of one stick not operating in
    >> dual-channel mode - I think that'll be ok (better than staying as
    >> is).

    > Your description of the memory on the board doesn't match Abit's
    > labelling
    > of the DIMM slots or the generic manual for nforce2 (nf7x) boards. I
    > would
    > have thought it highly unlikely that Abit altered this for your v2
    > board.
    >
    > In any case, the DIMM slot near the edge of the board (DIMM3) makes 1
    > memory
    > channel, the pair closest to the CPU make up the other. If you put the
    > 512MB
    > module in DIMM3 and the 2 256MB in DIMM 1 and 2 you should have dual
    > channel
    > operation for ALL of your memory.

    Yep, there are 2 controllers (channels MCO and MC1), not 3: one for
    slots 1/2, another for slot 3. One controller handles slot 3. The
    other controller handles BOTH slots 1 and 2. From nVidia's own
    whitepaper:

    "The nForce IGP’s/SPP’s TwinBank Memory Architecture eliminates system
    memory as a bottleneck by providing a 128-bit wide DDR 266MHz memory
    access path. This is implemented through dual-independent, 64-bit memory
    controllers, backed by a single master arbiter. The end result: 4.2GB/s
    peak memory bandwidth with minimum system latency. TwinBank’s radical
    crossbar memory controller enables the CPU and GPU to access the two
    64-bit memory banks concurrently, fully utilizing memory bandwidth."

    You can read more at http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_20010528_5545.html.
    There are only 2 memory banks. Each bank gets its own memory controller
    rather than sharing one. There are 3 slots. Obviously 2 of the slots
    are sharing a bank and its independent controller.

    The slot combinations are:

    dual-channel (keeping separate banks 1 & 2):
    slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 3
    (i.e., slot 3 and either 1 or 2 but not both 1 and 2)

    single-channel mode (sharing on bank 1):
    1 & 2 & 3 (all 3 populated, 1 & 2 on same bank) <-- ?
    1 & 2 (same bank)
    1, 2, or 3 (1 stick, 1 bank)

    Asymmetric dual-channel mode is supported. That means that the sticks
    do not have to be equal in capacity; e.g., you could have a 512MB stick
    in slot 3 and a 256MB stick in slot 2. However, the "dual channel" mode
    is limited to 2 times the size of the smallest DIMM. In this example,
    you would get 2x256MB in dual-channel mode and the last half of the
    512MB stick is accessed in single-channel mode. Populating both slots 1
    and 2 with 256MB sticks so they had the same capacity as the 512MB stick
    in slot 3 *might* get dual-channel mode to work across the 512MB range
    of both banks. I don't know how Abit implemented a bank that consists
    of multiple modules. So it may be possible for the OP to move his
    memory so slot 1 & 2 have the 256MB sticks and slot 3 has the 512MB
    stick to still get dual-channel over the whole 512MB range of each bank.

    Other than memory benchmarks, like 2%, I haven't seen any real-world
    performance gain from dual-channel mode. I have heard that it helps
    when you use onboard video (i.e., you get a mobo with the IGP
    southbridge instead of SPP). I've never bothered with any mobos with
    onboard video (too limiting in performance, features, compatibility, and
    upgradability). I wouldn't worry [much] about losing dual-channel mode
    anymore than using CAS-2.5 versus CAS-3 but I would be concerned about
    having to run [reliably] at a slower clock speed (FSB).
    Vanguard, Feb 23, 2007
  8. Nick Boyce

    ned ludd Guest

    "Nick Boyce" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:36:32 GMT, "ned ludd" <>
    > wrote:

    >>Nonsense. That's nvidia's GUARANTEED minimum spec. Both my Abit NF7x
    >>boards
    >>could run 200+ with all 3 DIMM slots populated, with tight memory timings.

    > Hmm ... I just dug out the manual ... on page 1-1 ("Features &
    > Specifications") it says
    > Supports 3 DIMMs DDR 200/266/333 (Max 3Gb)
    > Supports 2 DIMMs DDR 400 (Max 2Gb)
    > and on page 2-3 ("Memory Installation") it just says you can't exceed
    > 2Gb if you run it at 400Mhz, but can have up to 3Gb at 333MHz.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm already running the RAM at 333MHz. I won't be exceeding
    > 2Gb so I guess I could try ramping up the speed to 400MHz ... if it
    > refuses then it's not the end of the world.

    I shouldn't have mentioned this since it only applies if you intend to
    overclock both your memory and CPU. One of the quircks of the nf2 chipset
    was that although asyncronous memory operation was supported eg. running FSB
    at 166 and memory at 200, memory performance reputedly suffered greatly.
    It's too long ago to remember by how much but I suspect you'll see little or
    no gain by running memory at 200 and with the testing needed to ensure
    stable operation, it hardly seems worthwhile for these ancient boards. Mine
    has long ago been relegated to internet and WP duties.

    >>Depends on how the memory is arranged
    >>
    >>Your description of the memory on the board doesn't match Abit's labelling
    >>of the DIMM slots or the generic manual for nforce2 (nf7x) boards. I would
    >>have thought it highly unlikely that Abit altered this for your v2 board.

    > Sorry - I was a bit hazy there .. "it's all a long time ago" :)
    > I just opened the case: I have the two existing DIMMs in slots 3 & 2
    > (furthest two from the CPU). I seem to recall reading somewhere at
    > the time that was necessary to enable dual-channel, though I can't
    > find that instruction now.
    >
    > The slots are positioned like this appalling ASCII art :
    > 1 2 3
    > +-----+
    > | CPU | I I I
    > +-----+
    >
    > I can say for certain that the POST messages always include a message
    > saying the speed is 333MHz, and that (in bold font) "Dual Channel is
    > enabled".
    >
    >>In any case, the DIMM slot near the edge of the board (DIMM3) makes 1
    >>memory
    >>channel, the pair closest to the CPU make up the other.

    > I'm puzzled now: that would mean I should currently be using slots 1 &
    > 2 for dual-channel, but I seem to have it working with slots 2 & 3.
    > Weirdly tho, slots 1 & 2 *are* much closer together than slots 2 & 3,
    > which would tend to support your statement.

    The pair of slots (DIMM 1 & 2) make a single memory channel, a memory stick
    in each will only give you single channel operation. So Abit's
    recommendation to fill the slots 3,2,1 in order makes sense. As soon as you
    add the second stick you are in dual channel mode.

    ned ludd, Feb 23, 2007
  9. Nick Boyce

    Nick Boyce Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:43:29 -0600, "Vanguard" <>
    wrote:

    >"ned ludd" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In any case, the DIMM slot near the edge of the board (DIMM3) makes 1
    >> memory
    >> channel, the pair closest to the CPU make up the other. If you put the
    >> 512MB
    >> module in DIMM3 and the 2 256MB in DIMM 1 and 2 you should have dual
    >> channel
    >> operation for ALL of your memory.

    >Yep, there are 2 controllers (channels MCO and MC1), not 3: one for
    >slots 1/2, another for slot 3. One controller handles slot 3. The
    >other controller handles BOTH slots 1 and 2. From nVidia's own
    >whitepaper:
    >
    >"The nForce IGP’s/SPP’s TwinBank Memory Architecture eliminates system
    >memory as a bottleneck by providing a 128-bit wide DDR 266MHz memory
    >access path. This is implemented through dual-independent, 64-bit memory
    >controllers, backed by a single master arbiter ... enables the CPU and GPU
    >to access the two 64-bit memory banks concurrently ... "
    >
    >You can read more at http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_20010528_5545.html.

    Interesting paper ...

    >The slot combinations are:
    >
    >dual-channel (keeping separate banks 1 & 2):
    > slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 3
    > (i.e., slot 3 and either 1 or 2 but not both 1 and 2)
    >
    >single-channel mode (sharing on bank 1):
    > 1 & 2 & 3 (all 3 populated, 1 & 2 on same bank) <-- ?
    > 1 & 2 (same bank)
    > 1, 2, or 3 (1 stick, 1 bank)

    Thanks for this - makes sense now - I evidently misunderstood the
    disposition of slots to channels. I'll be finding out soon whether I
    still get dual channel operation with all slots filled - the new RAM
    arrives tomorrow.

    > ... Populating both slots 1
    >and 2 with 256MB sticks so they had the same capacity as the 512MB stick
    >in slot 3 *might* get dual-channel mode to work across the 512MB range
    >of both banks.

    That's what I'll try.

    >I wouldn't worry [much] about losing dual-channel mode
    >anymore than using CAS-2.5 versus CAS-3 but I would be concerned about
    >having to run [reliably] at a slower clock speed (FSB).

    Okay - thanks again. Just so long as it doesn't run any slower ..
    that's all I ask :)

    Cheers
    Nick Boyce
    Nick Boyce, Feb 26, 2007
  10. Nick Boyce

    Nick Boyce Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 06:46:21 GMT, "ned ludd" <>
    wrote:

    >"Nick Boyce" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyway, I'm already running the RAM at 333MHz. I won't be exceeding
    >> 2Gb so I guess I could try ramping up the speed to 400MHz ... if it
    >> refuses then it's not the end of the world.

    ..
    >I suspect you'll see little or
    >no gain by running memory at 200 and with the testing needed to ensure
    >stable operation, it hardly seems worthwhile for these ancient boards.

    Okay, thanks for that advice ... I'd certainly be perfectly happy
    leaving everything at default .. like I said, I'm happy with the
    machine's performance as it is ... just so long as it doesn't slow
    down :-}

    >> I'm puzzled now: that would mean I should currently be using slots 1 &
    >> 2 for dual-channel, but I seem to have it working with slots 2 & 3.
    >> Weirdly tho, slots 1 & 2 *are* much closer together than slots 2 & 3,
    >> which would tend to support your statement.

    >The pair of slots (DIMM 1 & 2) make a single memory channel, a memory stick
    >in each will only give you single channel operation. So Abit's
    >recommendation to fill the slots 3,2,1 in order makes sense. As soon as you
    >add the second stick you are in dual channel mode.

    Aah ... I evidently was more baffled than I knew :) Thanks for the
    education about how the channels are arranged. I seem to have
    understood it when I built the machine and confused myself later :)

    The new RAM arrives tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to the
    experiments ...
    "will it still say 'Dual Channel Enabled' at boot" ...
    "Will it seem faster, or slower"
    "will it [gulp] run hotter"
    That'll brighten up a dull Monday :)

    Cheers
    Nick Boyce
    Nick Boyce, Feb 26, 2007
  11. Nick Boyce

    Zadok Guest

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 02:37:01 +0000, Nick Boyce
    <> wrote:

    > "will it still say 'Dual Channel Enabled' at boot" ...

    My NF7-S v2 does.

    > "Will it seem faster, or slower"

    Get a program called Everest Home Edition. You can benchmark your
    reads and writes to memory with it before and after. Dual Channel
    should be ~twice as fast. How it "seems" is subjective but it should.

    -- Zadok
    ('¿')
    Zadok, Feb 26, 2007
  12. Nick Boyce

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:40:02 -0500, Zadok wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 02:37:01 +0000, Nick Boyce
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "will it still say 'Dual Channel Enabled' at boot" ...

    > My NF7-S v2 does.
    >
    >> "Will it seem faster, or slower"

    > Get a program called Everest Home Edition. You can benchmark your
    > reads and writes to memory with it before and after. Dual Channel
    > should be ~twice as fast. How it "seems" is subjective but it should.

    Dual channel on the K7 is of little to no value unless you are using
    onboard video. It will inprove overall system performance by about 2%. But
    if you are using onboard video, it does provide a direct connection to the
    ram without robbing the other bandwidth to the cpu.

    Wes Newell, Feb 26, 2007
  13. Nick Boyce

    Nick Boyce Guest

    SUMMARY: NF7-S v2: mixing RAM CAS types okay ?

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:37:42 +0000, I wrote:

    >I have an NF7-S v2 system, with an Athlon XP 2600 (Barton) and 512 Mb
    >Corsair ValueSelect CAS 3-3-3-8 RAM. It all works perfectly well (no
    >overclocking) but I'd like to add another 512 Mb RAM.
    >
    >The closest match in the stock list of my usual supplier is a 512 MB
    >stick of Corsair ValueSelect CAS 2.5 RAM - and I'm wondering whether
    >there's any problem with mixing the latencies like that.
    >
    >The first 512Mb is 2x256Mb installed in the first two slots with Dual
    >Channel mode enabled, and I'd plan to leave them there and put the new
    >DIMM in the third slot.
    >
    >Does anyone know of any reason why this marriage should not take place
    >:) ?

    I just wanted to report back to the group that the new RAM is working
    fine in conjunction with the old RAM. The post messages indicate that
    I still have dual channel mode, and, purely subjectively, the machine
    seems a little faster if anything.

    As suggested by the good folks here, I relocated the two 256Mb DIMMs
    to slots 1 & 2, and put the new 512Mb DIMM in slot 3, and Memtest86
    V3.2 shows this for the RAM :

    "RAM : 166 MHz (DDR332) / CAS : 3-3-3-8 / Dual Channel (128 bits)"

    I didn't try up'ing the FSB to 200 - I'm happy with the machine as is.

    Thanks very much for all the advice.

    Nick Boyce
    Nick Boyce, Mar 14, 2007