NF7-S2G won't boot - sits at BIOS screen

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Daniel DeGroff, Nov 24, 2004.

  1. I'm leaning towards a bad mobo ... but I thought I would see if anyone
    has seen this before...

    I have:

    Abit NF7-S2G
    ATI Radeon VE/7000 64MB DDR AGP
    AMD Sempron 2800+
    x2 512 MB DDR 400

    And when I turn on the system, the LED's on the MB turn
    on to indicate the power is applied, and on... that seems good.

    And the default setting for the CMOS Clear jumper was contrary
    to what the manual said was the clear position.
    In other words, the setting that the jumper came in indicated
    it was in the clear position, but when I put it in the 'normal'
    position(according to the manual) I don't get any video at all.

    But when in the default position, the video comes and and it
    has an Abit screen, and says press 'del' to enter BIOS and
    'tab' to see POST screen. Seems normal, but it doesn't leave that
    screen.

    I can't press 'del' or 'tab' the keyboard doesn't seem to register.
    The keyboard is good, it works on my other system, and I have tried
    other keyboards as well.

    I can't really attribute this to anything other than a bad mobo...
    But I have never really seen symptoms such as this with a new system...

    I have:
    pulled the memory, and the system correctly beeps out POST codes..
    pulled the AGP video and the system correctly beeps out POST codes..

    I'm not sure what to do other than RMA the board...

    Any ideas? or suggestions?

    I just saw a suggestion on a similiar problem about maybe an incompat.
    cpu? I will check abit's site to see if I can find out if the 2800
    should work or not..

    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Daniel
    Daniel DeGroff, Nov 24, 2004

  2. http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthrea...3ffec343a763&threadid=68451&highlight=sempron

    Looks like I need new BIOS to support sempron.

    Daniel DeGroff, Nov 24, 2004

  3. www.excaliberpc.com sells the chip for this board

    It is $15.99 plus s/h

    http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=156_157&products_id=3883

    Also, an FYI for this mobo .. the doc is incorrect about the
    clear CMOS jumper, the rightmost two pins are the normal position
    not the leftmost.

    Daniel DeGroff, Nov 24, 2004