NF7S: must use reset switch to boot.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Larry Gagnon, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Larry Gagnon

    Larry Gagnon Guest

    I have an NF7S M/B with an Antec SmartBlue 350W PS, Antec Lanboy case,
    XP2500 overclocked, MS wireless KB and mouse.

    The system all works fine except for the fact that when I hit the case
    "power on" switch the system fans start up, the MB green LED lights up,
    the CDROM drive starts, but the system will not actually boot until I
    hit the reset switch.

    Sometimes, if the system has been turned off recently it will boot up
    properly with just the power on switch. Also, if I turn off and then on
    again the main PS switch at rear of the case the power on switch works
    fine and the computer boots up without having hit the reset switch.
    However, in most situations I have to hit reset to get a boot.

    I have substituted a brand new power supply, assuming that the problem
    was a bad power_on signal to the PS, but this made no difference. I
    have also checked the case power on and reset switches and their
    wiring: they are OK. While talking to Antec about the problem they
    suggested it was a motherboard or BIOS concern. I have tried some
    different ACPI settings in BIOS: this also had no effect.

    Has anyone out their had a similar problem or any ideas on where to
    start looking to fix this problem? I don't want to rip apart the whole
    computer and return this 2 month old motherboard unless necessary!

    Larry Gagnon

    ********************************
    to send direct email remove "fake"
    Larry Gagnon, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Larry Gagnon

    BTNewsGroups Guest

    Re: must use reset switch to boot.

    "Larry Gagnon" <> wrote in message
    > I have an NF7S M/B with an Antec SmartBlue 350W PS, Antec Lanboy case,
    > XP2500 overclocked, MS wireless KB and mouse.
    >
    > The system all works fine except for the fact that when I hit the case
    > "power on" switch the system fans start up, the MB green LED lights up,
    > the CDROM drive starts, but the system will not actually boot until I
    > hit the reset switch.

    Same problem here with an Asus A7N8X and an *Antec PS*, could this be an
    Antec problem? Also on mine this seems to be temperature related, if the
    room temp. is below 18 C. I have the problem, above that it's generally OK.

    Regards
    Martin
    BTNewsGroups, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Larry Gagnon

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Re: must use reset switch to boot.

    I had a problem almost like yours with a BH6. I would hit power, it would
    get to the windows loading screen and then lockup. If I hit reset it would
    start Windows with no problem. If I shut it off and turned it back on again
    right away it would start with no problems. If I kept it off for a while it
    wouldn't start again until hitting reset. I also found that if the keyboard
    wasn't plugged in it would start fine. Nothing wrong with the keyboard. I also
    tried a new keyboard same problem. Unplug it before hitting power and no
    problems at all. Really really strange.

    Here's a few things I can think of.

    1) Test the power on switch. Unplug the power switch. Try shorting the 2 pins
    with a screw driver. Just touch the pins then pull the screwdriver away. The
    system should start.

    2) Could be a power supply issue. Turning the system on capacitors charge in
    the supply for DC. Maybe faulty capacitors not charging quick enough like they
    should until hitting reset now the have enough of a charge. Turning the system
    off capacitors will slowly lose their charge.

    3) Could be a short to ground somewhere in the case.

    4) Try starting the system with nothing plugged in such as Keyboard and or
    Mouse.
    PRIVATE1964, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Larry Gagnon

    Claudio Guest

    Re: must use reset switch to boot.

    Hi:

    I use to have a problem like this, I fix it changing the ps.

    Claudio Leiva
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    USA
    http://www.4x4.dynu.com/claudio

    Claudio, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Larry Gagnon

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Normally the motherboard is supposed to hold the 'reset' line active
    until the power is good from the power supply. Try (1) holding down
    the reset button, (2) hitting the power button, (3) releasing the
    reset button.

    If this works then it appears as though the motherboard is not doing
    what it is supposed to be doing - holding the reset active until power
    is good. In this case think harder about ripping everything apart...
    :-(

    If it doesn't work then you need to take closer examination to
    everything in the computer. Perhaps a card is forcing the reset line
    in the inactive state during boot - thus the problem.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Larry Gagnon

    GTD Guest

    Re: must use reset switch to boot.

    .. I also found that if the keyboard
    >wasn't plugged in it would start fine. Nothing wrong with the keyboard. I also
    >tried a new keyboard same problem. Unplug it before hitting power and no
    >problems at all. Really really strange.

    Just a thought here, but there's a way to change what power the
    keyboard and mouse use on the NF7. I'm not sure how to change it, but
    I believe it is an undocumented jumper (not sure where though). I
    remember someone talking about it, because changing it makes the light
    in an optical mouse go OFF when the system is shut down, but then you
    lose the ability to powerup by mouse or keyboard. I'm not sure if this
    was only PS2 devices, USB, or both, but it seems like it would be
    worth it to give a try since the keyboard may be somehow related.
    Perhaps someone that knows exactly what setting / jumper does this can
    elaborate.

    You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
    that will make things a lot smoother.
    -Felatio Love
    GTD, Feb 21, 2004
  7. Larry Gagnon

    Y-Grl Guest

    "PRIVATE1964" <> wrote in message
    > I had a problem almost like yours with a BH6. I would hit power, it

    would
    > get to the windows loading screen and then lockup. If I hit reset it would
    > start Windows with no problem. If I shut it off and turned it back on

    again
    > right away it would start with no problems. If I kept it off for a while

    it
    > wouldn't start again until hitting reset.

    I had a similar problem with a BE6 and the nearest I could figure in my as
    was a conflict between an S3 Savage3D AGP card and a Voodoo2. Pretty sure it
    was when loading drivers, but never got it sorted properly.
    Y-Grl, Feb 23, 2004
  8. Larry Gagnon

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    Re: must use reset switch to boot.

    >"PRIVATE1964" <> wrote in message
    >> I had a problem almost like yours with a BH6. I would hit power, it

    >would
    >> get to the windows loading screen and then lockup. If I hit reset it would
    >> start Windows with no problem. If I shut it off and turned it back on

    >again
    >> right away it would start with no problems. If I kept it off for a while

    >it
    >> wouldn't start again until hitting reset.

    My problem happened with different BH6's because I had to send one back because
    of a bios misflash. They sent me back a different board but the same problem. I
    told their tech support the problem and they didn't have a clue what could be
    causing it.
    PRIVATE1964, Feb 23, 2004