No ACPI on A7N8X-E Deluxe

Discussion in 'Asus' started by paburatyn@hotmail.com, May 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    >Paul Busby Feb 8, 8:39 am
    >
    >I think you'll find that you will need to reinstall from scratch but

    with
    >ACPI S3 mode enabled in Bios 1st (Advanced tab, Power Management Setup

    then

    ****
    >Asus don't have this setting enabled as default is beyond me! Some

    have had
    >luck with an MS OEM utility called dumppo.exe but it didn't work for

    me with
    >this m/b.

    This fellow seems to have found a solution...

    http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/05/11/129553.aspx

    , May 1, 2005

  2. Paul Busby Guest

    Thus spake :
    >> Paul Busby Feb 8, 8:39 am
    >>
    >> I think you'll find that you will need to reinstall from scratch but
    >> with ACPI S3 mode enabled in Bios 1st (Advanced tab, Power
    >> Management Setup then ACPI Suspend to RAM/enable). A repair install
    >> won't fix it. Why the **** Asus don't have this setting enabled as
    >> default is beyond me! Some have had luck with an MS OEM utility
    >> called dumppo.exe but it didn't work for me with this m/b.

    > This fellow seems to have found a solution...
    >
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/omars/archive/2004/05/11/129553.aspx

    Thanks for that! S3 works fine on this m/b for me if I set System
    Performance to Optimum only. If I want to Set the FSB to any frequency as
    available when System Performance is set to User Define, S3 will fail on
    resume with the main power LED still flashing after the fans etc come back
    on. I have to cycle the mains power to clear this condition. If I can retain
    S3 with intermediate FSB frequencies, I could start pushing it above 200MHz.
    At the moment I'm happy with 11.5x 200MHz (ran Prime95 overnight). My new
    PC3200 RAM will only boot in single channel mode. The loss of dual channel
    is annoying rather than a great loss of performance.
    --
    Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
    gives some feedback!

    Paul Busby, May 1, 2005

  3. Guest

    Odd that FSB would affect the ability to come out of S3. I know I had
    trouble coming out of hibernate with this M/B - I enabled it while
    trying to get S3 working, and it would go through the 'resume from
    disk' sequence, then just seem to die, requiring me to cycle power to
    restart. However, I don't intend to use S4/Hibernate, so I'm not
    concerned.

    If you follow the link from the blog to The Green Button, you'll see a
    discussion about dumppo.exe, telling you how to enable S3 if you
    installed the OS without it being enabled. They said it would only work
    for the current session, but it seems to be permanent for me.

    , May 2, 2005
  4. Paul Busby Guest

    Thus spake :
    > Odd that FSB would affect the ability to come out of S3. I know I had
    > trouble coming out of hibernate with this M/B - I enabled it while
    > trying to get S3 working, and it would go through the 'resume from
    > disk' sequence, then just seem to die, requiring me to cycle power to
    > restart. However, I don't intend to use S4/Hibernate, so I'm not
    > concerned.
    >
    > If you follow the link from the blog to The Green Button, you'll see a
    > discussion about dumppo.exe, telling you how to enable S3 if you
    > installed the OS without it being enabled. They said it would only
    > work for the current session, but it seems to be permanent for me.

    There has been discussion on using dumppo on & off in this NG over recent
    years. The only time I tried using it was when I upgraded from an A7V266-E
    to my current board. I did a repair install that got everything working
    apart from S3 but dumppo didn't work for me so I did a clean install. Some
    people said it worked for the current session only but ran it as part of the
    boot process from a batch file with the correct parameters to get round this
    problem. If my experiences are common, this board is a poor choice for
    O/C'ing & XP power management. The advantage of this board is its lack of NB
    fan. I see that most AMD 64bit m/bs have those horrid little fans which are
    probably cheaper than fitting a decent passive h/s.

    Asus & possibly other makers could lessen the problem by having STR S3
    enabled as the damn default! Funnily enough, Hibernate has worked perfectly
    with both W2k & XP. Early bios versions for the A7V266-E intermittently
    caused problems when resuming - the graphics wouldn't wake. I got around
    this by programming my main power button to hibernate - on the rare
    occasions when my monitor remained blank, I simply hibernated my PC then
    resumed which always restored everything fine. Boy, I can remember spending
    months getting Win98 ACPI working. I now have all ACPI states working with
    decent performance at reasonable noise & heat levels. I'm sure I could push
    my XP-M2500+ further still but would probably need water cooling to do so
    without it sounding like my original TT Volcano HSF! Even the Zalman is
    noisy enough at full tilt.

    Paul Busby, May 2, 2005