    Gateway cannot help as this board was not purchased thru them.

    Any help appreciated.
    Thx, jeff

    Jeff, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Jeff

    Jim Phelps Guest

    "Jeff" <FightSpam> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Brief Question, I can't boot to an AGP card. I have selected AGP as the
    > default video displayed on boot in bios, but the imbedded PCI video is the
    > only one that comes up. The AGP card has been verified working from 2 other
    > Intel boards.
    >
    > SPEC:
    >
    > MoBo Gateway KittyHawk (#2514929), Intel # D815EFV (imbedded video)
    > Phoenix Bios (from Gateway) EA81520A.15A.0011.P08, 8/6/02, Gateway BIOS
    > p/n 9519109
    > Video Card - ATI All-In-Wonder Pro AGP, Rage Pro #1024463930
    >
    > Gateway cannot help as this board was not purchased thru them.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Thx, jeff

    Hi Jeff, I don't have that MB, but have several INTEL based boards.
    All have the capability to turn off the On-Board AGP in the BIOS. Have
    you turned your's off?
    Jim

    Jim Phelps, Oct 13, 2004

  3. "Jeff" <FightSpam> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Brief Question, I can't boot to an AGP card. I have selected AGP as the
    > default video displayed on boot in bios, but the imbedded PCI video is the
    > only one that comes up. The AGP card has been verified working from 2 other
    > Intel boards.
    >
    > SPEC:
    >
    > MoBo Gateway KittyHawk (#2514929), Intel # D815EFV (imbedded video)
    > Phoenix Bios (from Gateway) EA81520A.15A.0011.P08, 8/6/02, Gateway BIOS
    > p/n 9519109
    > Video Card - ATI All-In-Wonder Pro AGP, Rage Pro #1024463930
    >
    > Gateway cannot help as this board was not purchased thru them.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Thx, jeff

    Hi Jeff,
    You will also need to disable the embedded video in BIOS before
    the AGP will be able to be used as the default video. Otherwise, the
    mobo will revert to the onboard video on startup. Gateway should have
    been able to tell you this. Contact Intel or search their site for
    instructions on how to accomplish this.

    Silicon Alley Computers
    www.siliconalleycomputers.com

    Silicon Alley Computers, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Jim,

    This bios has video select on boot as either AGP or PCI. I have selected
    both & recently tried another known working AGP card (2.0 spec). Both to
    the same results. I suspect the board has a defective slot. Just thoght
    maybe someone else had some input.

    Thx, jeff

    Jeff, Oct 14, 2004
  5. (Silicon Alley Computers)wrote:<>...
    > "Jeff" <FightSpam> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Brief Question, I can't boot to an AGP card. I have selected AGP as the
    > > default video displayed on boot in bios, but the imbedded PCI video is the
    > > only one that comes up. The AGP card has been verified working from 2 other
    > > Intel boards.

    > You will also need to disable the embedded video in BIOS before
    > the AGP will be able to be used as the default video. Otherwise, the
    > mobo will revert to the onboard video on startup. Gateway should have
    > been able to tell you this. Contact Intel or search their site for
    > instructions on how to accomplish this.

    You should also disable/uninstall the onboard PCI video in Windows through
    Control Panel -> Settings -> System -> Hardware.

    HTH, let us know how it goes

    Anonymous Jack, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks for the help, but if I'm not mistaken, the OS would not have anything
    to do with it (I should have stated this was all in POST). There is no
    signal (to the monitor) from any AGP card installed (settings in bios
    previously stated from the original post). All of this is during POST,
    before OS load.
    I thought I was missing something. Appears a defective MoBo.

    thx for the help, jeff

    Jeff, Oct 21, 2004
  7. Jeff

    benry Guest

    Re: intel good or AMD good

    "Jeff" <FightSpam> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Thanks for the help, but if I'm not mistaken, the OS would not have anything
    > to do with it (I should have stated this was all in POST). There is no
    > signal (to the monitor) from any AGP card installed (settings in bios
    > previously stated from the original post). All of this is during POST,
    > before OS load.
    > I thought I was missing something. Appears a defective MoBo.
    >
    > thx for the help, jeff
    >
    > "Anonymous Jack" <> wrote in message
    > > (Silicon Alley
    > > Computers)wrote:<>...
    > >> "Jeff" <FightSpam> wrote in message

    > >> You will also need to disable the embedded video in BIOS before
    > >> the AGP will be able to be used as the default video. Otherwise, the
    > >> mobo will revert to the onboard video on startup. Gateway should have
    > >> been able to tell you this. Contact Intel or search their site for
    > >> instructions on how to accomplish this.

    > > You should also disable/uninstall the onboard PCI video in Windows through
    > > Control Panel -> Settings -> System -> Hardware.
    > >
    > > HTH, let us know how it goes

    Can you help me to figure out that AMD good or Intel good?

    benry, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Jeff

    benry Guest

    Re: intel good or AMD good

    "Jeff" <FightSpam> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Thanks for the help, but if I'm not mistaken, the OS would not have anything
    > to do with it (I should have stated this was all in POST). There is no
    > signal (to the monitor) from any AGP card installed (settings in bios
    > previously stated from the original post). All of this is during POST,
    > before OS load.
    > I thought I was missing something. Appears a defective MoBo.
    >
    > thx for the help, jeff
    >
    > "Anonymous Jack" <> wrote in message
    > > (Silicon Alley
    > > Computers)wrote:<>...
    > >> "Jeff" <FightSpam> wrote in message

    > >> You will also need to disable the embedded video in BIOS before
    > >> the AGP will be able to be used as the default video. Otherwise, the
    > >> mobo will revert to the onboard video on startup. Gateway should have
    > >> been able to tell you this. Contact Intel or search their site for
    > >> instructions on how to accomplish this.

    > > You should also disable/uninstall the onboard PCI video in Windows through
    > > Control Panel -> Settings -> System -> Hardware.
    > >
    > > HTH, let us know how it goes

    Can you help me to figure out that AMD good or Intel good in now ?

    benry, Oct 22, 2004
  9. In <>
    Jeff <> wrote:

    > Brief Question, I can't boot to an AGP card. I have selected AGP as the
    > default video displayed on boot in bios, but the imbedded PCI video is the
    > only one that comes up. The AGP card has been verified working from 2 other
    > Intel boards.

    Have you tried another AGP video card in the problem machine with the same
    results?

    Are there any options in BIOS to disable onboard video or set the initial
    video to AGP? You'd have to use the onboard video to check this out, of
    course, then switch back to the AGP once you've made your changes and
    restarted.

    A small number of motherboards have jumpers to disable onboard video.
    Check the manual for the machine for details.

    --
    Jennifer Mullen

    Jennifer Mullen, Oct 28, 2004
  10. Re: intel good or AMD good

    (benry) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Jeff" <FightSpam> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Thanks for the help, but if I'm not mistaken, the OS would not have anything
    > > to do with it (I should have stated this was all in POST). There is no
    > > signal (to the monitor) from any AGP card installed (settings in bios
    > > previously stated from the original post). All of this is during POST,
    > > before OS load.
    > > I thought I was missing something. Appears a defective MoBo.
    > >
    > > thx for the help, jeff
    > >
    > > "Anonymous Jack" <> wrote in message
    > > > (Silicon Alley

    > > > You should also disable/uninstall the onboard PCI video in Windows through
    > > > Control Panel -> Settings -> System -> Hardware.
    > > >
    > > > HTH, let us know how it goes

    > Can you help me to figure out that AMD good or Intel good in now ?

    AMD does more operations per clock cycle (9), while Intel only does
    (6). AMD wins in the benchmarks. AMD does more faster.

    Neil Varshneya, Oct 31, 2004
  11. Jeff

    Chadwick Guest

    Re: intel good or AMD good

    (Neil Varshneya) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Can you help me to figure out that AMD good or Intel good in now ?

    > AMD does more operations per clock cycle (9), while Intel only does
    > (6). AMD wins in the benchmarks. AMD does more faster.

    Depends on the benchmark.
    What are you using the computer for? AMD seem to do better in gaming benchmarks.

    Chadwick, Nov 17, 2004
  12. Jeff

    Jason Guest

    Re: intel good or AMD good

    (Chadwick) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Neil Varshneya) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > > Can you help me to figure out that AMD good or Intel good in now ?

    > > AMD does more operations per clock cycle (9), while Intel only does
    > > (6). AMD wins in the benchmarks. AMD does more faster.

    > Depends on the benchmark.
    > What are you using the computer for? AMD seem to do better in gaming benchmarks.

    It depends on what preciely you want to use your computer for. Intel
    is better at multitasking and pure number crunching applications such
    as coding video/sound, file compression, Science Applications and some
    3D modeling applications. Intel P4's also use hyperthreading which is
    suppoused to make the cpu more adept at multitasking though consumer
    opinion varies on this subject. AMD as stated executes more
    instructions per clock cycle and seems out perform equivelient
    pentiums in gaming. Price is also a consideration as intel is more
    expensive once again then AMD though the higher end pentiums tend to
    outperform the Higher end AMD's (excluding the FX chips because
    applications don't even suppourt the full 64 bits yet and Intel
    doesn't have a competing cpu out.) I would say if you have cash to
    blow get a pentium or an AMD FX if your on a tight budget AMD is
    probably the way to go.

    Jason, Nov 29, 2004
  13. Jeff

    matu Guest

    Re: intel good or AMD good

    I sorry i write a french because i write very bad in english .
    He is very difficult de conseiller une plateforme plutôt qu'une autre

    Du coté intel, la plateforme socket 478 sera moins onéreuse que celle
    basée sur le socket LGA 775. Cependant, la plateforme 478 est pour
    l'heure condamnée, même si elle devrait coexister encore quelques mois
    avec la plateforme LGA 775.

    Chez AMD, ce n'est pas réellement mieux. Le socket A est en passe de
    se faire complètement remplacer par les plateformes Athlon 64. De même
    sur ces plateformes, malgré les bonnes performances du socket 754, AMD
    a choisi de sortir le socket 939 plus apte à répondre à des évolutions
    futures.

    Vous l'aurez compris, pour l'heure, la plus grande interrogation est
    la pérennité d'achat à 12 ou 18 mois. Et là se pose le problème des
    nouveaux processeurs qui verront le jours courant 2005, AMD et intel
    s'orientant vers des processeurs utilisant du dual-core.

    Sachant qu'intel propose depuis quelques années de nouveaux chipsets
    tous les ans, et des nouvelles révisions des derniers chipsets sortis
    6 mois après leur apparition, il est fort à parier qu'il faudra
    attendre la prochaine génération de chipset pour le dual core, si ce
    n'est pas la suivante.

    Pour ce qui est de la fameuse série Pentium 4 6xx, basée sur le core
    prescott et possédant 2 Mo de cache L2, il ne devrait pas y avoir trop
    de problème avec les plateformes LGA 775 actuelles.

    Coté AMD, c'est encore plus flou, le constructeur ayant laissé tombé
    le développement de chipset pour ne se concentrer que sur les
    processeurs, pour le domaine grand public. On se retrouve à devoir
    attendre les chipsets de société tiers.

    Enfin pour ce qui hésiteraient entre une plateforme intel ou amd, le
    choix est plutôt en faveur d'AMD pour l'instant. Les processeurs
    disposent déjà du support des instructions 64 bit et sont disponibles,
    contrairement à l'introuvable série F d'intel et ses instructions
    EMT64. Pour le prix, une plateforme socket 478 d'intel se retrouve en
    concurrence avec les plateformes AMD Athlon 64. La plateforme socket
    775 d'intel étant pour l'heure un peu plus chère

    matu, Nov 30, 2004
  14. Jeff

    K Doty Guest

    Try looking for a Bios update flash for the motherboard. ande a chipset
    update as well for your Motherboard.

    K Doty, Feb 8, 2005