No beep from bios

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Simon Woods, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. Simon Woods

    Simon Woods Guest

    Hi

    I think my mobo's gone but I wonder if I've missed anything.

    I switch on and nothing happens. No disk activity (it may be spinning but
    there is no head movement sounds -when there used to be), no video. Just the
    fans working on the processor and graphics card.

    I've removed all expansion slots and am trying to use the on-board graphics.
    The graphics card in the expansion slot didn't produce anything.

    I've removed the bios battery to try and reset it, but as the subject line
    says, there's no beeping at all at startup.

    There's just no life. I've also tried re-attaching the power to the mobo
    and re-attaching to the power and data to the HDD.

    I've proved the monitor with a laptop.

    It's about 4 years old now and been on many hours everyday just about each
    day of the week - so it's done well.

    Are there any other things I should be doing?

    Thanks

    Simon
    Simon Woods, Jun 10, 2007

  2. Simon Woods

    Chris Hill Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:12:08 GMT, "Simon Woods"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I think my mobo's gone but I wonder if I've missed anything.
    >
    >I switch on and nothing happens. No disk activity (it may be spinning but
    >there is no head movement sounds -when there used to be), no video. Just the
    >fans working on the processor and graphics card.
    >
    >I've removed all expansion slots and am trying to use the on-board graphics.
    >The graphics card in the expansion slot didn't produce anything.
    >
    >I've removed the bios battery to try and reset it, but as the subject line
    >says, there's no beeping at all at startup.
    >
    >There's just no life. I've also tried re-attaching the power to the mobo
    >and re-attaching to the power and data to the HDD.
    >
    >I've proved the monitor with a laptop.
    >
    >It's about 4 years old now and been on many hours everyday just about each
    >day of the week - so it's done well.
    >
    >Are there any other things I should be doing?

    Examine the board. Look for the little round cans. If the tops bulge
    or liquid is leaking, your caps are bad, which for most of us means
    toss the board. If they are okay, I'd consider trying a different
    power supply, just because the fans spin does not mean that the power
    supply is working correctly.
    Chris Hill, Jun 11, 2007

  3. Simon Woods

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Simon Woods <> wrote:
    > Hi

    > I think my mobo's gone but I wonder if I've missed anything.

    > I switch on and nothing happens. No disk activity (it may be spinning but
    > there is no head movement sounds -when there used to be), no video. Just the
    > fans working on the processor and graphics card.

    > I've removed all expansion slots and am trying to use the on-board graphics.
    > The graphics card in the expansion slot didn't produce anything.

    > I've removed the bios battery to try and reset it, but as the subject line
    > says, there's no beeping at all at startup.

    > There's just no life. I've also tried re-attaching the power to the mobo
    > and re-attaching to the power and data to the HDD.

    > I've proved the monitor with a laptop.

    > It's about 4 years old now and been on many hours everyday just about each
    > day of the week - so it's done well.

    > Are there any other things I should be doing?

    Check the PSU. It may not deliver all voltages or have serious
    undervolgae on some outputs.

    Arno
    Arno Wagner, Jun 11, 2007
  4. Simon Woods

    Simon Woods Guest

    Thanks Chris and Arno
    Simon Woods, Jun 11, 2007
  5. Simon Woods

    Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:59:02 GMT, "Simon Woods"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks Chris and Arno

    The other thing that can do this is a bad memory stick.
    Other than that the only other FRU is the CPU.
    , Jun 11, 2007
  6. Simon Woods

    Simon Woods Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:59:02 GMT, "Simon Woods"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks Chris and Arno
    >>

    > The other thing that can do this is a bad memory stick.
    > Other than that the only other FRU is the CPU.

    Thanks ... just tested the psu and all the voltages look good.

    I had a play with the memory. There are 2 mem modules, I tried each of these
    in different slots. I don't think it needs paired memory as there are only 3
    slots (probably not the best indicator!).

    So it looks like it's had it!

    Thank you, again

    Simon
    Simon Woods, Jun 11, 2007
  7. Simon Woods

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "Simon Woods" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I think my mobo's gone but I wonder if I've missed anything.
    >
    > I switch on and nothing happens. No disk activity (it may be spinning but
    > there is no head movement sounds -when there used to be), no video. Just
    > the fans working on the processor and graphics card.
    >
    > I've removed all expansion slots and am trying to use the on-board
    > graphics. The graphics card in the expansion slot didn't produce anything.
    >
    > I've removed the bios battery to try and reset it, but as the subject line
    > says, there's no beeping at all at startup.
    >
    > There's just no life. I've also tried re-attaching the power to the mobo
    > and re-attaching to the power and data to the HDD.
    >
    > I've proved the monitor with a laptop.
    >
    > It's about 4 years old now and been on many hours everyday just about each
    > day of the week - so it's done well.
    >
    > Are there any other things I should be doing?

    Listen to that disk drive again. When power is applied, you should hear
    some activity as the drive reads its own operating system from the disk (oh
    yes - really). If not, it sounds like one of the supply rails is missing.
    M.I.5¾, Jun 19, 2007
  8. Simon Woods

    Joey Guest

    I have a similar problem with my PC which I am also keen to resolve. In my
    case, the PC hangs during the BIOS POST, but if I leave it for a couple of
    minutes, then power off an on again, it boots up OK. You might try that, if
    you haven't already done so. I've also tried reseating all PCI cards and
    RAM, checking connectors, swapping IDE cables, pushing the odd chip or two,
    all to no avail.

    I might buy a disk controller card and see if that helps. If I do find an
    answer, I'll report back and would be obliged if you would do likewise.

    Pete K
    Joey, Jul 1, 2007