    cable that connects it to the motherboard. No ideas on how to test for or
    identify any of those.

    Any suggestions?

    news.west.earthlink.net, May 13, 2004

  2. news.west.earthlink.net

    Paul Guest

    In article <V8Poc.18811$>,
    "news.west.earthlink.net" <> wrote:

    > I just built a new system using a P4P800S, running Windows XP. The sound
    > header is attached to the jacks on the front panel of my (Antec Sonata)
    > enclosure. The output is fine. The input appears to be dead.
    >
    > The control panel says the sound input is enabled, with volume set to
    > mid-range. Windows Sound Recorder registers nothing.
    >
    > I've tried two different headsets with the same results, so the problem is
    > not there.
    >
    > The possibilities I see are: a configuration problem; a failure on the
    > motherboard that affects input only; a problem in the front panel or the
    > cable that connects it to the motherboard. No ideas on how to test for or
    > identify any of those.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    1) Remove microphone cabling from FP_AUDIO header.
    2) Touch your finger to the MIC2 pin on the header.
    You should get some "hum" coupled into the recorder.
    That is one way to get a signal to test with.

    The second option is to leave the cabling as is, then get a
    portable audio device, like a Walkman or MP3 player etc, and
    plug it into the microphone port. What this does, is at
    least guarantee that you have a signal source that works.
    It could be that the microphone is putting out too low level
    a signal, and the higher voltage you get from a Walkman will
    at least allow you to test the wiring and hardware.

    A mistake on some cases, is the MIC2 and MIC_BIAS wires are
    mislabelled and switched with one another. There was an Antec
    web page with this info on it, but the butt heads changed the
    link, so if you want to verify my info, you have some searching
    to do. (Antec is famous for messing up case wiring. So far
    none of their mistakes have killed any hardware.)

    In any case, reversing MIC2 and MIC_BIAS wires won't hurt
    anything, because MIC_BIAS has a current limiting resistor
    on the motherboard. Give it a try.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 14, 2004

  3. "Paul" <> wrote in message

    > A mistake on some cases, is the MIC2 and MIC_BIAS wires are
    > mislabelled and switched with one another. There was an Antec
    > web page with this info on it, but the butt heads changed the
    > link, so if you want to verify my info, you have some searching
    > to do...

    Ah, that was it! I had to dive under the desk to deal with an unrelated
    problem, and I discovered (duh) that the motherboard has its own set of
    sound connectors on the back panel. They work fine.

    I will contact Antec and see what they have to say. Meanwhile, I will post
    my remaining P4P800S questions in a new thread titled "P4P800S, three little
    problems," and see if my luck holds.

    Jonathan Sachs, May 15, 2004
  4. Further adventures...

    I found a FAQ on the Antec web site which puts a different spin on the
    problem. They say that different motherboard manufacturers use different
    pin-outs for the Intel front panel audio, so some of their cases provide
    seven individual pin connectors rather than a single header.

    I got a single header on mine, so that doesn't do me any good. Before I
    contact Antec I want to understand the situation completely, and that is
    proving difficult. Their party line implies that there IS no standard
    pin-out, so it would be pointless to take them to task for not conforming to
    it.

    I have found several "answer man" web sites which refer to
    www.frontx.com/cpx110.html for the standard pin-out. The multiple references
    make it credible to me, but it would have no authority in a debate with
    Antec. It's just some information fromanother vendor with a front-panel
    product, and if Antec says it's wrong, I have nothing to reply with.

    Intel's web site search function is so brain-damaged that I can't find any
    useful information with it. I can't even find out which of their own
    motherboards has this header, so that I can look up the technical
    specifications and cite them as a de facto standard.

    Paul, do know any sources that will be useful for me?

    Jonathan Sachs, May 15, 2004
  5. news.west.earthlink.net

    Paul Guest

    In article <ERupc.1643$>,
    "Jonathan Sachs" <> wrote:

    > Further adventures...
    >
    > I found a FAQ on the Antec web site which puts a different spin on the
    > problem. They say that different motherboard manufacturers use different
    > pin-outs for the Intel front panel audio, so some of their cases provide
    > seven individual pin connectors rather than a single header.
    >
    > I got a single header on mine, so that doesn't do me any good. Before I
    > contact Antec I want to understand the situation completely, and that is
    > proving difficult. Their party line implies that there IS no standard
    > pin-out, so it would be pointless to take them to task for not conforming to
    > it.
    >
    > I have found several "answer man" web sites which refer to
    > www.frontx.com/cpx110.html for the standard pin-out. The multiple references
    > make it credible to me, but it would have no authority in a debate with
    > Antec. It's just some information fromanother vendor with a front-panel
    > product, and if Antec says it's wrong, I have nothing to reply with.
    >
    > Intel's web site search function is so brain-damaged that I can't find any
    > useful information with it. I can't even find out which of their own
    > motherboards has this header, so that I can look up the technical
    > specifications and cite them as a de facto standard.
    >
    > Paul, do know any sources that will be useful for me?

    There is a standard. Pg.20 gives the pinout. Same pinout as
    Asus motherboard headers (at least the modern motherboards).

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/fpio_design_guideline.pdf

    If the cabling in the Antec case consists of a 2x5 plastic
    shroud, with the wires and pins housed inside it, look for a
    plastic release tab for each pin on the side of the shroud. It
    holds the pin in place, and the pin can be dislodged by prying
    on the tab with a hobby knife (xacto knife). The figure at the
    bottom of this page demonstrates how to do it.

    http://frontx.com/head_con.html

    I hope the wires are color coded and you have some info from Antec
    as to which color corresponds to which function, because you'll
    need that to move the pins from their current position to a new
    position.

    All I can tell you, is there was an Antec FAQ which was basically
    switching the function of the MIC2 and MIC_BIAS pins. Since in that
    case the wires were separate, and each one had text printed on the
    plastic at the end of the wire, the implication was that they
    mislabelled the two pins.

    In the end, this is where you want the signals from the motherboard
    to go. MIC2 from the motherboard header should end up contacting
    the Tip contact. MIC_BIAS (a.k.a MICPWR) goes to the Ring contact.
    The Sleeve contact goes to ground (GND).

    "MIC Input Characteristics"
    http://www.a-tech.net/SoundCards/CT4811.htm

    / \
    MIC2 ------| |
    \ /
    +===+
    MICPWR -----| | 3.5mm plug
    |===| to soundcard
    | |
    GND -------| |
    | |
    +=======+
    | |

    If you buy a 3.5mm (1/8") plug from Radio Shack, you can
    plug that into the case and gain access to the contacts.
    You can then use an ohmmeter, to verify the names of the
    above wires.

    I own a couple of Antec cases, and strongly recommend checking
    the pinout of the connectors with an ohmmeter. On one case,
    the Firewire data connections are reversed. The Firewire and
    USB connectors have their grounds wired together inside
    the case. Antec just isn't that swift when it comes to wiring.
    (I do like their cases and power supplies, despite this.)

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 16, 2004