    down (to simulate the mouse movement with pressed mouse button).

    Can one enable rubber band selection somehow on a tablet PC?

    Michael

    Michael Moser, Mar 22, 2008

  2. Michael Moser

    Chris H Guest

    What Tablet PC do you have? It works here, like drawing a box around
    several items but without holding down the button. Try that.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H, Mar 23, 2008

  3. While tablet specific apps can use the method described by Chris, other
    apps designed for mice will probably have problems...

    ....more details on the exact app in question as well as the tablet
    make/model and the stylus design (i.e. switches on the stylus) would
    help help.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Mar 23, 2008
  4. Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:
    > While tablet specific apps can use the method described by Chris,
    > other apps designed for mice will probably have problems...
    >
    > ...more details on the exact app in question as well as the tablet
    > make/model and the stylus design (i.e. switches on the stylus) would
    > help help.
    >
    > Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Yes, it seems, that some apps only support multi-seclection using Ctrl
    and Shift keys (which I find extremely tedious with the on-screen
    keyboard), not using rubber band selections. One application where I
    recently had that problem when I tried to reorganize some files was
    Eclipse (www.eclipse.org).

    The tablet I am using is a Motion Computing LE1700 und Vista
    Professional.

    Michael

    Michael Moser, Mar 31, 2008
  5. >> which I find extremely tedious with the on-screen keyboard <<

    Can you elaborate?

    May be because of ppc experience, since the osk control and shift keys
    are "sticky" I find this to be pretty easy.

    In addition, haven't looked in a while, but wonder if one of the stylus
    utils might offer shift and control options.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Mar 31, 2008
  6. Michael Moser

    Ron G. Guest

    I agree completely with Beverly's note about tedious.
    Thought I would share a workaround that is working well for me.

    I enabled " pen flicks" and changed. two of my flicks (ie. the default
    "delete" and the "cut" as I routinely accidentally flicked things: off my
    tablet literally.

    The flick now reads "toggle CTRL" & "toggle SHIFT"
    (flick once to get the keystroke, then flick again when ready to keystroke
    it back off.)

    Hope this helps you all.

    Ron G., May 31, 2008
  7. Great feedback! Thanks!

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], May 31, 2008
  8. Michael Moser

    Ron G. Guest

    I came back to offer another post for how to actually use the rubber band
    selector... I finds figured it out.

    when doing a selection (ie, in Windows Explorer) try thinking backwards. By
    this I mean, locate the last item on the list that you want, then press your
    pen so the pen touches the window background just below & to the right of
    your win item. Hold the pen to the screen as you draw a box up to the left
    side of where your first selection is, then let go of the screen. you should
    then see the items selected Try-it!

    For the ctrl-selecting, if you have better pen aiming skills than I, the
    upper left side of each icon (or the left side in detail view) has a little
    check box to use for this function. of you're good, you can click a check
    box-(rather than the item itself) and from there locate the next item to
    click that check box. You should see both items checked & highlighted so you
    know you did it correctly.. I prefer my pen flick method for CTRL selects!
    but that is how you do them.

    I hope this helps!
    - - - -

    Ron G., Jun 5, 2008
  9. Ron G. wrote:
    > I came back to offer another post for how to actually use the rubber
    > band selector... I finds figured it out.
    >
    > when doing a selection (ie, in Windows Explorer) try thinking
    > backwards. By this I mean, locate the last item on the list that you
    > want, then press your pen so the pen touches the window background
    > just below & to the right of your win item. Hold the pen to the
    > screen as you draw a box up to the left side of where your first
    > selection is, then let go of the screen. you should then see the
    > items selected Try-it!
    >
    > For the ctrl-selecting, if you have better pen aiming skills than I,
    > the upper left side of each icon (or the left side in detail view)
    > has a little check box to use for this function. of you're good, you
    > can click a check box-(rather than the item itself) and from there
    > locate the next item to click that check box. You should see both
    > items checked & highlighted so you know you did it correctly.. I
    > prefer my pen flick method for CTRL selects! but that is how you do
    > them.
    >
    > I hope this helps!
    > - - - -

    Hi Ron,
    thanks for the feedback!

    However, Windows Explorer is exactly one of those apps, with which I have
    *no* problems, since it allows such "rubber-band" selections. My problem is
    only with apps that do *not* provide this und instead require shift or
    control key to be pressed while selecting multiple objects.

    Cheers,
    Michael

    Michael Moser, Jun 6, 2008