    related to the Xeon processors. This sounds ridiculous, although
    Intel has had problems with CPU supplies in the past? Does anyone
    know if there is any truth to this?

    egon.phillips, May 25, 2004

  2. egon.phillips

    spinlock Guest

    You are right about one thing: "This sounds ridiculous"!

    spinlock, May 25, 2004

  3. Yeah, I was wondering if these people even worked for Intel?
    Have you heard anything about a supply problem with 533MHz Xeon Processors?

    egon.phillips, May 26, 2004
  4. egon.phillips

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 25 May 2004 09:16:49 -0700,
    (egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
    >resulting in the damage of two processors.

    I'm curious. What kind of test can damage a CPU?

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, May 26, 2004
  5. What were the damaged processors?

    --
    Chuck Tribolet

    http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

    Chuck Tribolet, May 26, 2004
  6. egon.phillips

    John McGaw Guest

    "Franc Zabkar" <> wrote in message
    > On 25 May 2004 09:16:49 -0700,
    > (egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > >Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
    > >resulting in the damage of two processors.

    > I'm curious. What kind of test can damage a CPU?
    >

    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

    I might be the "drill a 10mm hole in the lid to see if there is really
    anything inside test". Or possibly the "heat chip using the oxy-acetylene
    torch to see what happens test".
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    John McGaw, May 26, 2004
  7. The kind that requires you to remove the CPU from a desktop
    replacement laptop without the proper tools. And install the new CPU
    without the proper tools. All of this after you've already tested the
    original motherboard by inserting a working CPU, veryfying that the
    motherboard works. And, already tested the non-working CPU in working
    motherboard.

    egon.phillips, May 26, 2004
  8. egon.phillips

    spinlock Guest

    Did you say "laptop"? A Xeon laptop?

    Was it a dual or quad Xeon laptop? LOL

    egon, you should cut back on the street drugs
    or increase the drugs prescribed by your shrink.

    spinlock, May 26, 2004
  9. egon.phillips

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 26 May 2004 09:46:38 -0700,
    (egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >The kind that requires you to remove the CPU from a desktop
    >replacement laptop without the proper tools. And install the new CPU
    >without the proper tools. All of this after you've already tested the
    >original motherboard by inserting a working CPU, veryfying that the
    >motherboard works. And, already tested the non-working CPU in working
    >motherboard.

    So the CPU is physically broken as a result of your mishandling? Well
    that would explain Intel's attitude. Can't say I blame them ...

    >Franc Zabkar <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On 25 May 2004 09:16:49 -0700,
    >> (egon.phillips) put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>
    >> >Intel has accepted responsibility for requesting that I perform tests
    >> >resulting in the damage of two processors.

    >> I'm curious. What kind of test can damage a CPU?
    >>

    >> - Franc Zabkar

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, May 26, 2004
  10. I didn't say the laptop was a xeon, nor did I say it had two
    processors.

    These days Intel is billing xeon as a server/workstation processor.
    Given that desktop replacements are usually workstation replacements,
    I wouldn't be supprised to find a xeon in a laptop. I've seen
    desktop/workstation CPUs in laptops since the mid 90's. Here's an
    example:

    http://www.sunhelp.org/archives/2003/03/12/24ghz-xeon-linux-windows-laptop/

    Back in the day, several desktop replacement manufacturers extracted
    the PII SEC and SEC2 CPU's and use a zif socket without the latch.

    egon.phillips, May 27, 2004
  11. Actually, it was an Intel employee who suggested, that Intel was
    responsible for the damage. I think his logic went something like
    this: "If the processor was physically damaged while following Intel
    instructions, then we are responsible for the replacement", which is
    the case here. This representative was not in Technical Support, but
    did manage to get the replacement process started.

    egon.phillips, May 27, 2004
  12. I honored to have a person with your background trolling my posts. I
    once worked at IBM myself, at the Toronto Lab. Quite Impressive. May
    I send you an offline email?

    egon.phillips, May 27, 2004
  13. Sure.

    Chuck Tribolet, May 28, 2004