Noctua NH-U12F

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Howard Goldstein, Nov 23, 2007.

  1. A very short commentary on the Noctua NH-U12F I picked up off of ebay
    to replace an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro for my striker.

    The first thing I noticed about this was how heavy the box was, and
    that Noctua's taken a different packaging decoration strategy than
    Thermalright. The package touts the Austrian design, quietness, and
    features a picture of a very attractive redhead who must have helped
    engineer the product. Does the carpet match the drapes? Noctua has a
    pretty good grasp of the audience.

    The NH-U12F comes with the heatsink, a 120mm three pin fan, and
    mounting brackets for the LGA 775 two AMD styles. The heatsink feels
    as heavy as the Ultra 120 eXtreme and resembles it in its lateral
    dimensions. The base is flat but machine-grooved.

    The mounting system is terrific. There's the familiar 'X' bracket on
    the rear. For the 775 and AMD forms you screw two other brackets on
    the top of the motherboard into the X. The heatsink then attaches to
    those bracket with two spring loaded screws. This configuration
    allows removing the heat sink to access the CPU socket without having
    to pull the motherboard. Nice.

    There is no comparison to the push pins as you might expect; the
    screwons aren't flimsy. It seems superior to the 120x, too. Unlike
    that heat sink when one attached the sink to those brackets the result
    is an attachment that has absolutely no flex or movement at all.

    The fan attachment was similar to the 120x with brackets that were
    puzzling to install but once figured out they're easier to attach
    fitting in a groove down the sides and fix the fan firmly onto the
    anti-vibration strips. I can't hear the fan at high speed with the
    case closed.

    Thermal: Lapped Q6600, MX-2, 1.325v, 300x9, ambient 28C, side panels
    off the antec P182B case

    hottest core CPU case
    AC7 NH-U12F AC7 NH-U12F
    Idle 47 40 39 24*
    Loaded 61 55 43 38

    *obviously wrong, ambient is 28C, I wrote down the wrong number from
    mbmon

    Conclusion: Best darned $34 I've spent on a CPU cooler, and my case
    ventilation is still awful

    Howard Goldstein, Nov 23, 2007

  2. Forgot: interference (Re: Noctua NH-U12F)

    :
[...]

    Forgot: Interference around the CPU area is a potential problem. The
    120x fins start a lot higher than does the NH-U12F. I had to replace
    my NB cooler with a Thermalright SLI HR-05 that offsets the heatsink
    from the base, and I had to replace one (but I did both) of the
    pushpin-based mosfet heatsinks I was using with glue-on heatsinks. I
    think the stock heat pipes come up almost as high as the pushpin
    things I was using...

    Howard Goldstein, Nov 23, 2007

  3. Howard Goldstein

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Howard Goldstein typed:

    <snip>

    Thanks for the report/review. It's always good getting first-hand reviews
    from people who actually paid for their products. I mean, Toms, Anand et al
    review quite a few products but only if they don't have to pay for them.
    I've seen a few 'riders' saying that they didn't review x as the suppliers
    wouldn't send them one.

    > Thermal: Lapped Q6600

    Then:

    > my case ventilation is still awful

    LOL!! You lapped your CPU IHS but you won't take a nibbler to your case?
    Hehee!

    BTW, did you do a "before and after" when you lapped it? Do you think that
    lapping it improved heat transfer? I have a Thermalright bolt-thru kit ("X"
    bracket, spring-loaded screws) ordered to replace the push-pins on my
    otherwise excellent Thermaltake Mini Typhoon. I've been debating whether to
    lap the CPU IHS when I'm pulling the systen down to fit the bracket.

    Thanks,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 23, 2007
  4. Howard Goldstein

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Howard Goldstein typed:

    Oh, forgot to mention, the very attrative redhead thing, that'd do it for
    me. I have a weakness for redheads. Who gives a damn about the cooler? <g>
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 23, 2007
  5. Howard Goldstein

    bornfree Guest

    On 23 Nov, 01:15, (Howard Goldstein) wrote:
    > A very short commentary on the Noctua NH-U12F I picked up off of ebay
    > to replace an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro for my striker.

    Just my mileage.. I had an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro... and it was
    rubbish. When under load CPU temp did rise a great deal.

    bornfree, Nov 23, 2007
  6. On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:08:59 +1300, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    : Somewhere on teh interweb Howard Goldstein typed:
    :
    :
    : <snip>
    :
    : Thanks for the report/review. It's always good getting first-hand reviews
    : from people who actually paid for their products. I mean, Toms, Anand et al
    : review quite a few products but only if they don't have to pay for them.
    : I've seen a few 'riders' saying that they didn't review x as the suppliers
    : wouldn't send them one.
    :

    You've got them dead to rights. Last week I was reading a review on
    one of the Asus premium boards and the reviewer was whinging about
    that exact problem, oh I'm not going to bother reviewing anything they
    don't send me for free. That's *so frustrating*.

    Besides the reports of disgruntled users from the web forums and a few
    vendor sites like newegg just where does one find reliable comments?

    : > Thermal: Lapped Q6600
    :
    : Then:
    :
    : > my case ventilation is still awful
    :
    : LOL!! You lapped your CPU IHS but you won't take a nibbler to your case?
    : Hehee!

    I will be an endless source of amusement on this.

    1) that case with the 2 meter-diameter fan you pointed me to isn't
    over here yet and 2) I'm wary anyway about increasing the noise level
    from the drives. There's an array of 4 satas in here and a rotten IDE
    for backups. 2+ hours next to the box and I start losing it. Yes, I
    am cranky in my old age. Perhaps I should mosey on over to the silent
    PC review old folks home and commiserate with them...

    It does raise the question of what should be sufficient. If I have
    two fans exhausting 49CFM each and assuming no meaningful intake
    obstructions shouldn't that be enough to exchanging the case's sultry
    warm air with still sultry but not as warm Florida ambient air a
    couple of times per minute (assume 3x3x1 ft case), and solve the
    problem without attaching a Lycoming or Continental driven prop plane
    engine to the side?

    I'm missing something or things...but what? Infrared from the hot
    bits working its evil on poorly ventilated interior case bits?

    : BTW, did you do a "before and after" when you lapped it? Do you think that
    : lapping it improved heat transfer? I have a Thermalright bolt-thru kit ("X"
    : bracket, spring-loaded screws) ordered to replace the push-pins on my
    : otherwise excellent Thermaltake Mini Typhoon. I've been debating whether to
    : lap the CPU IHS when I'm pulling the systen down to fit the bracket.

    Yes I did do before and after but with the Arctic Cooling, not the
    noctua. I only captured the coretemps. Idle and loaded with the
    lapping knocked off 3C both. The heatspreader had a depression in it
    deep enough I could have fed my cat from it.

    Howard Goldstein, Nov 23, 2007
  7. On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 03:36:42 -0800 (PST), bornfree <> wrote:
    : On 23 Nov, 01:15, (Howard Goldstein) wrote:
    : > A very short commentary on the Noctua NH-U12F I picked up off of ebay
    : > to replace an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro for my striker.
    :
    :
    : Just my mileage.. I had an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro... and it was
    : rubbish. When under load CPU temp did rise a great deal.

    Good to know it wasn't just me, and not just my particular cooler. AC
    does have a winner in their passive video card cooler. The series 1
    is a big thing looks like it can cool your car, 12C improvement over
    a stock X1950 Pro active cooler. The CPU cooler though, not so much.

    Howard Goldstein, Nov 23, 2007
  8. Howard Goldstein

    Fishface Guest

    Howard Goldstein wrote:

    > The NH-U12F comes with the heatsink, a 120mm three pin fan, and
    > mounting brackets for the LGA 775 two AMD styles. The heatsink
    > feels as heavy as the Ultra 120 eXtreme and resembles it in its lateral
    > dimensions. The base is flat but machine-grooved.

    I thought I might try one of those next time, but with a different fan. I
    had purchased several 12 cm fans for my Thermalright Ultra Extreme
    (whatever it's called), one of which was the Noctua. So much air was
    escaping around the blade tips, I thought I had it on backwards and
    actually took it off. I settled on the 1600 RPM Nexus, which required
    surgery to work with the Thermalright as the mounting holes are shrouded
    for the full thickness. This makes it strong but wrong for this application.

    I thought the Thermalright mounting system was bogus for the amount
    of weight it supported and how it allowed the assembly to twist. The
    bottom was seriously not flat, so I pretty much lapped all the nickel off.
    Nickel, thought non-reactive, is not a good conductor, anyway. It seems
    there is a thin sheet of copper which covers the bottom and that is in effect
    another thermal interface that we don't need. The fan mounting wires kept
    coming out of the little holes while I was installing the fan, which made for
    a very frustrating experience each time I removed and reinstalled it. Overall,
    I am not impressed with thisThermalright product. Perhaps the prototypes
    from China were better than the actual production models.

    Fishface, Nov 23, 2007
  9. Howard Goldstein

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Fishface typed:
    > Howard Goldstein wrote:
    >
    >> The NH-U12F comes with the heatsink, a 120mm three pin fan, and
    >> mounting brackets for the LGA 775 two AMD styles. The heatsink
    >> feels as heavy as the Ultra 120 eXtreme and resembles it in its
    >> lateral dimensions. The base is flat but machine-grooved.

    > I thought I might try one of those next time, but with a different
    > fan. I had purchased several 12 cm fans for my Thermalright Ultra Extreme
    > (whatever it's called), one of which was the Noctua. So much air was
    > escaping around the blade tips, I thought I had it on backwards and
    > actually took it off. I settled on the 1600 RPM Nexus, which required
    > surgery to work with the Thermalright as the mounting holes are
    > shrouded for the full thickness. This makes it strong but wrong for this
    > application.
    > I thought the Thermalright mounting system was bogus for the amount
    > of weight it supported and how it allowed the assembly to twist. The
    > bottom was seriously not flat, so I pretty much lapped all the nickel
    > off. Nickel, thought non-reactive, is not a good conductor, anyway. It
    > seems there is a thin sheet of copper which covers the bottom and that is
    > in effect another thermal interface that we don't need. The fan
    > mounting wires kept coming out of the little holes while I was
    > installing the fan, which made for a very frustrating experience each
    > time I removed and reinstalled it. Overall, I am not impressed with
    > thisThermalright product. Perhaps the prototypes from China were better
    > than the actual production models.

    I've heard a lot of reports about Thermalright's big coolers not being flat
    and needing lapping. Also how damn difficult it is to lap these top-heavy
    beasts. That's why I didn't get one. I got the Thermaltake Mini Typhoon
    instead but that needed lapping anyway. (Yet none of the numerous reviews I
    read about it said so. However, they all thanked Thermaltake so what's the
    chances that they were given specially selected flat samples?)

    Is that model you have one of those that Thermalright sell a seperate
    bolt-thru mounting kit for? http://www.thermalright.com/product_default.htm
    (accessories) Or does it come with an "X" bracket for the back of the board
    supplied? I've ordered one of those Thermalright kits for my Thermaltake
    cooler as it uses those crappy little plastic pop-out retainers which might
    be adequate for a squat stock Intel cooler but certainly aren't for a 500gm
    cooler where most of the weight is 100mm+ off the board. (Annoyingly it
    seems I'm the only person in New Zealand to ever order one, the NZ agent
    doesn't have them so one is being sent out to me directly from Taiwan.)
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 24, 2007
  10. Howard Goldstein

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Howard Goldstein typed:
    > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:08:59 +1300, ~misfit~
    > <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh interweb Howard Goldstein typed:
    >>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Thanks for the report/review. It's always good getting first-hand
    >> reviews from people who actually paid for their products. I mean,
    >> Toms, Anand et al review quite a few products but only if they
    >> don't have to pay for them. I've seen a few 'riders' saying that
    >> they didn't review x as the suppliers wouldn't send them one.
    >>

    > You've got them dead to rights. Last week I was reading a review on
    > one of the Asus premium boards and the reviewer was whinging about
    > that exact problem, oh I'm not going to bother reviewing anything they
    > don't send me for free. That's *so frustrating*.

    I agree. You'd thing that, with the amount of advertising revenue these
    bigger review sites pull in, and for impartiality's sake, they'd buy an
    off-the-shelf unit to review huh? Yet it seems that all of them only review
    what they've been 'given' by the supplier. It brings into question the
    legitimacy of the reviews IMO.

    > Besides the reports of disgruntled users from the web forums and a few
    > vendor sites like newegg just where does one find reliable comments?

    Here. :)

    >>> Thermal: Lapped Q6600

    >> Then:
    >>
    >>> my case ventilation is still awful

    >> LOL!! You lapped your CPU IHS but you won't take a nibbler to your
    >> case? Hehee!

    > I will be an endless source of amusement on this.
    >
    > 1) that case with the 2 meter-diameter fan you pointed me to isn't
    > over here yet and 2) I'm wary anyway about increasing the noise level
    > from the drives. There's an array of 4 satas in here and a rotten IDE
    > for backups. 2+ hours next to the box and I start losing it. Yes, I
    > am cranky in my old age. Perhaps I should mosey on over to the silent
    > PC review old folks home and commiserate with them...

    LOL. As I pointed out to another poster (?) a week or so back, overclocking
    and silent PCs aren't exactly <senility sets in and the word escapes me>.

    If you're pushing the limits then you're also going to have to push the hot
    air away. Good case design can make this quieter but it's never going to be
    whisper-quiet. My current system is a joy to sit next to compared to my
    previous OC'ed Barton/Thermaltake Xaser case. That thing sounded like I was
    living next door to a large office block and all their airconditioning units
    were just outside my window.

    > It does raise the question of what should be sufficient. If I have
    > two fans exhausting 49CFM each and assuming no meaningful intake
    > obstructions shouldn't that be enough to exchanging the case's sultry
    > warm air with still sultry but not as warm Florida ambient air a
    > couple of times per minute (assume 3x3x1 ft case), and solve the
    > problem without attaching a Lycoming or Continental driven prop plane
    > engine to the side?

    Brute force isn't as efficient as intelligent design. Is the air in your
    case flowing optimally? If you have two fans moving that much air out then
    you need vents of roughly twice the size, positioned preferably in front of
    the HDDs (with maybe a couple slot covers under the graphics card removed to
    allow cool air egress into that area).

    > I'm missing something or things...but what? Infrared from the hot
    > bits working its evil on poorly ventilated interior case bits?

    You have to watch out for that. ;-)

    >> BTW, did you do a "before and after" when you lapped it? Do you
    >> think that lapping it improved heat transfer? I have a Thermalright
    >> bolt-thru kit ("X" bracket, spring-loaded screws) ordered to
    >> replace the push-pins on my otherwise excellent Thermaltake Mini
    >> Typhoon. I've been debating whether to lap the CPU IHS when I'm
    >> pulling the systen down to fit the bracket.

    > Yes I did do before and after but with the Arctic Cooling, not the
    > noctua. I only captured the coretemps. Idle and loaded with the
    > lapping knocked off 3C both. The heatspreader had a depression in it
    > deep enough I could have fed my cat from it.

    Hmmm, a nano-cat huh? <g> Ok, I'm convinced, I'll lap my IHS when I pull my
    system down to fit the bracket.

    Thanks for the benefit of your experience.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 24, 2007
  11. Howard Goldstein

    Fishface Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Is that model you have one of those that Thermalright sell a seperate bolt-thru mounting kit for?
    > http://www.thermalright.com/product_default.htm (accessories) Or does it come with an "X" bracket for the back of the
    > board supplied?

    It came with a backplate and screws that are identical to the ones in the bolt-
    through kit. It is a bit of a pain to get the screws in. I tape the screws loosely
    to the screwdriver so they will stay until I want to pull the screwdriver away.

    > I've ordered one of those Thermalright kits for my Thermaltake cooler as it uses those crappy little plastic pop-out
    > retainers which might be adequate for a squat stock Intel cooler but certainly aren't for a 500gm cooler where most of
    > the weight is 100mm+ off the board. (Annoyingly it seems I'm the only person in New Zealand to ever order one, the NZ
    > agent doesn't have them so one is being sent out to me directly from Taiwan.)

    Good idea. I can see the board flex visibly with the stock mounting system.
    The bolt-thru kit works with the retail HSF and I'm going to order several to
    combine shipping charges. In the USA, www.heatsinkfactory.com has them.
    They're a little cheaper at http://www.svc.com/lga775-bolt-th.html and offer
    less expensive US Mail delivery, but alas, they are currently out of stock.

    Fishface, Nov 24, 2007
  12. Howard Goldstein

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh interweb Fishface typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Is that model you have one of those that Thermalright sell a
    >> seperate bolt-thru mounting kit for?
    >> http://www.thermalright.com/product_default.htm (accessories) Or
    >> does it come with an "X" bracket for the back of the board supplied?

    > It came with a backplate and screws that are identical to the ones in
    > the bolt- through kit. It is a bit of a pain to get the screws in. I tape
    > the screws loosely to the screwdriver so they will stay until
    > I want to pull the screwdriver away.

    Handy tip. :) The Mini Typhoon isn't huge so I don't think I'll have major
    problems accessing the screws. That plus I'll be pulling the mobo out to fit
    it should make it relatively easy.

    >> I've ordered one of those Thermalright kits for my Thermaltake
    >> cooler as it uses those crappy little plastic pop-out retainers
    >> which might be adequate for a squat stock Intel cooler but certainly
    >> aren't for a 500gm cooler where most of the weight is 100mm+ off the
    >> board. (Annoyingly it seems I'm the only person in New Zealand to
    >> ever order one, the NZ agent doesn't have them so one is being sent
    >> out to me directly from Taiwan.)

    > Good idea. I can see the board flex visibly with the stock mounting
    > system.

    Yeah, nasty huh? I mean, a mobo is a complex thing, lots of really fine
    traces, six layer construction... Yet inserting the stock Intel HS causes
    the thing to flex several millimeters. Can't be good for it. I often wonder
    how many "DOA" mobo's are due to them flexing too much when either the CPU
    retaining clips or the RAM is inserted.

    > The bolt-thru kit works with the retail HSF and I'm going to order
    > several to combine shipping charges.

    Yeah, it wasn't until I was quoted, then paid, that I was told it was coming
    in from Taiwan or I might have got a couple extra. I'm doing a Q6600/P35
    build for a friend in a couple days, when his mobo arrives. There's already
    a Thermaltake Big Typhoon for it sitting in the corner of my office. As I'm
    not happy with the plastic pop-out clips on a Mini Typhoon then I'm not
    going to be real comfortable with them on a Big Typhoon. Especially on a
    mobo/build that is for someone else who sometimes goes to LAN parties...

    Perhaps it's best that I don't tell him there is such a thing as a bolt-thru
    kit. If I do he'll want to have one, but he won't want to wait, I'll end up
    basically doing a build, then a re-build (or at least pulling the mobo) for
    him.

    > In the USA,
    > www.heatsinkfactory.com has them. They're a little cheaper at
    > http://www.svc.com/lga775-bolt-th.html
    > and offer less expensive US Mail delivery, but alas, they are currently
    > out of
    > stock.

    <rant>

    Sometimes I get frustrated at what folks in the US have access to and the
    prices compared with New Zealand. I guess we're such a small and isolated
    market that the importers can charge what they like. Australia's not far
    away and is a far bigger market but I'm yet to find an Australian supplier
    who will ship to NZ. There was one who quoted me $50 to ship a $60 mobo
    here. That's just crazy. My mother lives in Aussie and she sends me clothes
    now and then for b'days/xmas ( you know how mothers are). The postage on
    those sure as hell don't cost $50 and they're bigger/heavier than a few PC
    parts. It's a shame that she's rural, out in the sticks, or I could get
    stuff shipped to her and then on to me. Trouble is she doesn't get to town
    that often and I'd hate to put pressure on me old Mum to be doing that.

    <rant/>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 24, 2007
  13. Howard Goldstein

    Paul Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh interweb Fishface typed:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Good idea. I can see the board flex visibly with the stock mounting
    >> system.

    > Yeah, nasty huh? I mean, a mobo is a complex thing, lots of really fine
    > traces, six layer construction... Yet inserting the stock Intel HS causes
    > the thing to flex several millimeters. Can't be good for it. I often wonder
    > how many "DOA" mobo's are due to them flexing too much when either the CPU
    > retaining clips or the RAM is inserted.

    There was enough concern about the bending in the past, for
    Intel to do a slide deck about it. Their explanation is, the
    bending is OK, if the outside solder joints are under
    compressive forces. But they didn't make a believer out
    of me, and I still don't like to see the bending.

    ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/guides/29072801.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 24, 2007
  14. On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 15:39:42 GMT, Fishface <?> wrote:
    : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    :
    : > The NH-U12F comes with the heatsink, a 120mm three pin fan, and
    : > mounting brackets for the LGA 775 two AMD styles. The heatsink
    : > feels as heavy as the Ultra 120 eXtreme and resembles it in its lateral
    : > dimensions. The base is flat but machine-grooved.
    :
    : I thought I might try one of those next time, but with a different fan. I
    : had purchased several 12 cm fans for my Thermalright Ultra Extreme
    : (whatever it's called), one of which was the Noctua. So much air was
    : escaping around the blade tips, I thought I had it on backwards and
    : actually took it off. I settled on the 1600 RPM Nexus, which required
    : surgery to work with the Thermalright as the mounting holes are shrouded
    : for the full thickness. This makes it strong but wrong for this application.

    I feel really good about the heatsink itself. I do *not* want to lap
    another Ultra 120x. Besides, the redhead is cute.

    If you wind up with a noctua fan you don't want anymore shoot me an
    email with your price. The reply-to address is good.

    : I thought the Thermalright mounting system was bogus for the amount
    : of weight it supported and how it allowed the assembly to twist. The
    : bottom was seriously not flat, so I pretty much lapped all the nickel off.
    : Nickel, thought non-reactive, is not a good conductor, anyway. It seems
    : there is a thin sheet of copper which covers the bottom and that is in effect
    : another thermal interface that we don't need. The fan mounting wires kept
    : coming out of the little holes while I was installing the fan, which made for
    : a very frustrating experience each time I removed and reinstalled it. Overall,
    : I am not impressed with thisThermalright product. Perhaps the prototypes
    : from China were better than the actual production models.

    I'd like to know where all the reviewers who were tremendously pleased
    with this heatsink got their's from? I didn't see any negative reviews on
    this before another poster here in the froup pointed me to it, it was
    out of Britain and that guy must have gotten the ones the rest of us
    are getting with the Ural mountains running across the length of the
    base.

    OTOH the two HR-05 chipset Thermalrights I've bought are perfectly flat
    in both axes.

    Howard Goldstein, Nov 24, 2007