Noisy Fan In Dell Dimension 8300

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Steven L., Nov 17, 2007.

  1. Steven L.

    Steven L. Guest

    I have a Dell Dimension 8300 desktop. After years of faithful service,
    the exhaust fan on the back of the case has started to become quite
    noisy, after the unit warms up after a couple of hours.

    I assume I either have to lubricate the fan or replace it. I've never
    done either before though I'm handy with tools generally. Any advice?

    If lubrication will work, what type of oil and exactly where do I apply
    the oil? Would good old 3-in-1 oil work?

    If I need to replace the fan, is it a relatively straightforward job?
    Do I need a genuine Dell replacement fan or can I purchase an equivalent
    one from elsewhere?

    --
    Steven L.
    Email:

    Steven L., Nov 17, 2007

  2. first, make sure that it is the case fan and not the fan in the power supply
    or the fan that might be on your video card. this can be done by operating
    the system with the case open then closely inspecting (listening to) the
    system when it starts to make noise fan.
    if it is the case fan and the machine is still under warranty then call tech
    support to ask for a new part.
    if it is the case fan and not under warranty then call dell spare parts to
    order a new one 800-357-3355.
    and look here for installation instructions...
    open the case (the hardest part)
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/cvrop.htm
    lift the shroud that covers the processor
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/mprcsr.htm
    and remove the fan. unfortunately dell does not offer a description of this
    procedure for this model... but it should be quite obvious. follow the
    power lead to the motherboard and remove. look at the fan for a release tab
    that holds it locked into place, press the tab and then slide the fan about
    1/4 of an inch and it should then easily pull away from the chassis.
    install the new fan in reverse order...
    main page for service manual:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/index.htm

    Christopher Muto, Nov 17, 2007

  3. I just went through this a month ago with my 8300 and it turned out that it
    was not the power supply fan, but the ATI Video Card fan. It was under
    warranty and Dell actually replaced both since the Tech guy thought it was
    the power supply fan at first until they actually replaced it and then came
    back the next day to replace the video card.

    Scotty Silton, Nov 17, 2007
  4. Steven L.

    Steven L. Guest

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > first, make sure that it is the case fan and not the fan in the power supply
    > or the fan that might be on your video card. this can be done by operating
    > the system with the case open then closely inspecting (listening to) the
    > system when it starts to make noise fan.
    > if it is the case fan and the machine is still under warranty then call tech
    > support to ask for a new part.

    I forgot to mention that my machine is way past its warranty.

    > if it is the case fan and not under warranty then call dell spare parts to
    > order a new one 800-357-3355.
    > and look here for installation instructions...
    > open the case (the hardest part)

    I've opened the case once before, to install new memory, etc.
    I guess I should have mentioned that too.

    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/cvrop.htm
    > lift the shroud that covers the processor
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/mprcsr.htm
    > and remove the fan. unfortunately dell does not offer a description of this
    > procedure for this model... but it should be quite obvious. follow the
    > power lead to the motherboard and remove. look at the fan for a release tab
    > that holds it locked into place, press the tab and then slide the fan about
    > 1/4 of an inch and it should then easily pull away from the chassis.
    > install the new fan in reverse order...
    > main page for service manual:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/index.htm

    I'll get right on it.

    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

    --
    Steven L.
    Email:

    Steven L., Nov 17, 2007
  5. Steven L.

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the noise is coming from the case fan, replace it. If the noise is ocming
    from the fan in the power supply, replace it. Doing anything else buys some
    you time... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 17, 2007
  6. Steven L.

    Steven L. Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > If the noise is coming from the case fan, replace it. If the noise is ocming
    > from the fan in the power supply, replace it. Doing anything else buys some
    > you time... Ben Myers

    Is there ANY reference at all that explains how to replace the case fan,
    with detailed drawings or photos, step by step?

    I looked inside the case last night, opened up that green shroud
    covering the fan--and then I got stuck as to what to do next. (BTW, yes
    it is the case fan that is making the noise--it was dirty; but cleaning
    it didn't quiet the noise.)

    I wish there were some book or website somewhere that had step-by-step
    instructions with photos or drawings as to how to replace the case fan.

    --
    Steven L.
    Email:

    Steven L., Nov 18, 2007
  7. look at ebay item number 300173292722 for a clear image of the entire fan
    shroud. if you look closely you can see a series of tabs that hook into the
    metal chasis of the computer case. one of these tabs has a lever on the
    back that locks it into position. you need to push downward on the
    lock/release tab and then slide the fan/shroud up about a quarter of an inch
    and then it should fall away from the case. you do not need to purchase the
    shroud, just the fan.

    the same case was used for the optiplex gx-260, gx-270, dimension 4500 and
    others... you could look to see if dell's on line service manuals for those
    units have instructions about replacing the case fan but i doubt it.
    support.dell.com

    Christopher Muto, Nov 18, 2007
  8. Steven L.

    Steven L. Guest

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > look at ebay item number 300173292722 for a clear image of the entire fan
    > shroud. if you look closely you can see a series of tabs that hook into the
    > metal chasis of the computer case. one of these tabs has a lever on the
    > back that locks it into position. you need to push downward on the
    > lock/release tab and then slide the fan/shroud up about a quarter of an inch
    > and then it should fall away from the case. you do not need to purchase the
    > shroud, just the fan.

    That was it! I just successfully repaired my 8300 following your
    suggestions, and it's running quiet and smooth now.

    Thanks for all your help.

    --
    Steven L.
    Email: