1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Noisy N9600GT videocard

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Eric P., Jul 12, 2009.

  1. Eric P.

    Eric P. Guest

    The cooling fan of the MSI N9600GT PCI Express 16x graphics card 512MB
    Bios 62.94.3C.00.00 on a computer with an MSI P45 Neo3-FR MS-7514 Bios
    1.9 PCB 1.0 4GB RAM and Intel Core Quad Q9400 causes a disturbing noise.

    This is only when showing Bios setup, starting the computer or running
    Dos from a floppy (backup) and caused by the display adapter cooling fan
    running at a very high speed.

    As soon as Windows XP Home SP3 starts the noise disappears (driver?) and
    PC-Wizard 2008 reports the fan running at 35% at GPU temperature 42C.

    Can anything be done to cause the adapter fan to run at a much lower
    (default) speed?

    TIA
    Eric P., Jul 12, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Eric P.

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Eric P.' wrote:
    > The cooling fan of the MSI N9600GT PCI Express 16x graphics card 512MB
    > Bios 62.94.3C.00.00 on a computer with an MSI P45 Neo3-FR MS-7514 Bios 1.9
    > PCB 1.0 4GB RAM and Intel Core Quad Q9400 causes a disturbing noise.
    >
    > This is only when showing Bios setup, starting the computer or running Dos
    > from a floppy (backup) and caused by the display adapter cooling fan
    > running at a very high speed.
    >
    > As soon as Windows XP Home SP3 starts the noise disappears (driver?) and
    > PC-Wizard 2008 reports the fan running at 35% at GPU temperature 42C.
    >
    > Can anything be done to cause the adapter fan to run at a much lower
    > (default) speed?

    _____


    According to your post, the graphics adapter cooling fan runs at full speed
    only when Windows XP is not controlling the system; that means the graphics
    adapter is NOT LOADED and thus cannot control the fan speed.

    When you boot from a DOS floppy then DOS is operating system and the
    graphics adapter driver is NOT LOADED.

    When you first turn your system on, the BIOS is controlling the system and
    the graphics adapter driver is NOT LOADED.

    So the only noise problem you have is for the few seconds or few minutes
    when your first start your system as 'First of One' posted.

    I'd suggest you not fool with flashing your graphics BIOS for such a small
    problem. If you just can't live with the initial noise, an easy solution is
    to make a change to "Power Options" in (if necessary) and use 'Sleep' rather
    than 'Shut Down' when you quit Windows XP. This will save the machine state
    to the hard drive before turning off power. When you turn the system back
    on, Windows XP will not need to be restarted. All applets and applications
    that were active when 'Sleep' was selected will be loaded and in their
    previous state. If you also set the system BIOS to "Quick Boot", then the
    graphics adapter cooling fan will run at full speed for only a few seconds
    before the nVidia driver takes control.

    Or you could just move your system case further from your ear, better
    sound-proof your system case, or disconnect the graphics card fan power and
    take a chance - probably with less chance of a disastrous outcome than if
    you were to edit the graphics adapter BIOS.

    If the above doesn't help, then consider posting how you use your system.

    Phil Weldon



    "Eric P." <> wrote in message
    news:4a59eae6$0$1643$...
    > The cooling fan of the MSI N9600GT PCI Express 16x graphics card 512MB
    > Bios 62.94.3C.00.00 on a computer with an MSI P45 Neo3-FR MS-7514 Bios 1.9
    > PCB 1.0 4GB RAM and Intel Core Quad Q9400 causes a disturbing noise.
    >
    > This is only when showing Bios setup, starting the computer or running Dos
    > from a floppy (backup) and caused by the display adapter cooling fan
    > running at a very high speed.
    >
    > As soon as Windows XP Home SP3 starts the noise disappears (driver?) and
    > PC-Wizard 2008 reports the fan running at 35% at GPU temperature 42C.
    >
    > Can anything be done to cause the adapter fan to run at a much lower
    > (default) speed?
    >
    > TIA
    Phil Weldon, Jul 14, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Eric P.

    Eric P. Guest

    Phil Weldon wrote:
    > 'Eric P.' wrote:
    >> The cooling fan of the MSI N9600GT PCI Express 16x graphics card 512MB
    >> Bios 62.94.3C.00.00 on a computer with an MSI P45 Neo3-FR MS-7514 Bios
    >> 1.9 PCB 1.0 4GB RAM and Intel Core Quad Q9400 causes a disturbing noise.
    >>
    >> This is only when showing Bios setup, starting the computer or running
    >> Dos from a floppy (backup) and caused by the display adapter cooling
    >> fan running at a very high speed.
    >>
    >> As soon as Windows XP Home SP3 starts the noise disappears (driver?)
    >> and PC-Wizard 2008 reports the fan running at 35% at GPU temperature 42C.
    >>
    >> Can anything be done to cause the adapter fan to run at a much lower
    >> (default) speed?

    > _____
    >
    >
    > According to your post, the graphics adapter cooling fan runs at full
    > speed only when Windows XP is not controlling the system; that means
    > the graphics adapter is NOT LOADED and thus cannot control the fan speed.
    >
    > When you boot from a DOS floppy then DOS is operating system and the
    > graphics adapter driver is NOT LOADED.
    >
    > When you first turn your system on, the BIOS is controlling the system
    > and the graphics adapter driver is NOT LOADED.
    >
    > So the only noise problem you have is for the few seconds or few minutes
    > when your first start your system as 'First of One' posted.
    >
    > I'd suggest you not fool with flashing your graphics BIOS for such a
    > small problem. If you just can't live with the initial noise, an easy
    > solution is to make a change to "Power Options" in (if necessary) and
    > use 'Sleep' rather than 'Shut Down' when you quit Windows XP. This will
    > save the machine state to the hard drive before turning off power. When
    > you turn the system back on, Windows XP will not need to be restarted.
    > All applets and applications that were active when 'Sleep' was selected
    > will be loaded and in their previous state. If you also set the system
    > BIOS to "Quick Boot", then the graphics adapter cooling fan will run at
    > full speed for only a few seconds before the nVidia driver takes control.
    >
    > Or you could just move your system case further from your ear, better
    > sound-proof your system case, or disconnect the graphics card fan power
    > and take a chance - probably with less chance of a disastrous outcome
    > than if you were to edit the graphics adapter BIOS.
    >
    > If the above doesn't help, then consider posting how you use your system.
    >
    > Phil Weldon
    >
    >

    Thank you for the comment and advise.

    Apart from starting up etc I clone (HDCLONE started from a flop) the
    whole harddisk to other harddisks of the same type at regular intervals
    as backup which takes about half an hour.

    I knew ofcourse that running without the windows driver is the reason
    the cooling fan runs at default speed.

    But I hate the not needed noise and I think it should have been avoided.

    I have modified plenty PC Bios'ses in the past starting from the PC AT
    80286 period and a few times also a video Bios.
    I disassembled a lot of Bios code.
    So I have some knowledge about the innerworkings.

    I'm not afraid to take a risk, its just hardware after all.
    All the seven computers I presently have run the latest available Bios.

    I was really looking for an advise like the one I got from First of One
    because I know from the past all tools to do the job exist.

    I'm only hesitating because I would have to study and think about the
    downloaded stuff before using it and have become a bit lazy lately
    because of old age (74).
    In addition it's a bit warm and I have to work in the garden.

    Thank you again for your time and advise.
    Eric P., Jul 14, 2009
    #3
  4. Eric P.

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Eric P.' wrote:
    > Thank you for the comment and advise.
    >
    > Apart from starting up etc I clone (HDCLONE started from a flop) the whole
    > hard disk to other hard disks of the same type at regular intervals as
    > backup which takes about half an hour.
    >
    > I knew ofcourse that running without the windows driver is the reason the
    > cooling fan runs at default speed.
    >
    > But I hate the not needed noise and I think it should have been avoided.
    >
    > I have modified plenty PC Bios'ses in the past starting from the PC AT
    > 80286 period and a few times also a video Bios.
    > I disassembled a lot of Bios code.
    > So I have some knowledge about the innerworkings.
    >
    > I'm not afraid to take a risk, its just hardware after all.
    > All the seven computers I presently have run the latest available Bios.
    >
    > I was really looking for an advise like the one I got from First of One
    > because I know from the past all tools to do the job exist.
    >
    > I'm only hesitating because I would have to study and think about the
    > downloaded stuff before using it and have become a bit lazy lately because
    > of old age (74).
    > In addition it's a bit warm and I have to work in the garden.
    >
    > Thank you again for your time and advise.

    _____

    Well, if your normal tasks don't load the GPU heavily, then try inserting a
    resistor in the GPU heatsink fan power line (or a rheostat if you want to
    experiment) to limit the fan speed. It will never run a full speed, but
    that shouldn't be a problem if the GPU is never heavily loaded.or you could
    use a Zener diode and a suitable resistor to limit the fan to, say, 35%
    under all conditions. And even use an external switch to choose a 35% limit
    for start-up and DOS operation, but flipping the switch for Windows XP
    operation to allow the nVidia driver to run the GPU fan at any speed,
    depending on GPU temperature. I happen to use a rheostat controlled fan to
    cool my hard drives (a 120 mm fan fills the front part of four half height 5
    1/4" bays) with the rheostat mounted in an unused bay on a snap-in cover
    panel (the case has nine 5 1/4 front accessible bays.)

    I'd bet that at your location you might get away with just limiting the fan
    to 35% all the time, consider your ambient temperatures have go to be a lot
    better than the 95 F ( 35 C ) I must contend with in Atlanta and South
    Florida during the summer.

    Phil Weldon

    "Eric P." <> wrote in message
    news:4a5c7180$0$1639$...
    > Phil Weldon wrote:
    >> 'Eric P.' wrote:
    >>> The cooling fan of the MSI N9600GT PCI Express 16x graphics card 512MB
    >>> Bios 62.94.3C.00.00 on a computer with an MSI P45 Neo3-FR MS-7514 Bios
    >>> 1.9 PCB 1.0 4GB RAM and Intel Core Quad Q9400 causes a disturbing noise.
    >>>
    >>> This is only when showing Bios setup, starting the computer or running
    >>> Dos from a floppy (backup) and caused by the display adapter cooling fan
    >>> running at a very high speed.
    >>>
    >>> As soon as Windows XP Home SP3 starts the noise disappears (driver?) and
    >>> PC-Wizard 2008 reports the fan running at 35% at GPU temperature 42C.
    >>>
    >>> Can anything be done to cause the adapter fan to run at a much lower
    >>> (default) speed?

    >> _____
    >>
    >>
    >> According to your post, the graphics adapter cooling fan runs at full
    >> speed only when Windows XP is not controlling the system; that means the
    >> graphics adapter is NOT LOADED and thus cannot control the fan speed.
    >>
    >> When you boot from a DOS floppy then DOS is operating system and the
    >> graphics adapter driver is NOT LOADED.
    >>
    >> When you first turn your system on, the BIOS is controlling the system
    >> and the graphics adapter driver is NOT LOADED.
    >>
    >> So the only noise problem you have is for the few seconds or few minutes
    >> when your first start your system as 'First of One' posted.
    >>
    >> I'd suggest you not fool with flashing your graphics BIOS for such a
    >> small problem. If you just can't live with the initial noise, an easy
    >> solution is to make a change to "Power Options" in (if necessary) and use
    >> 'Sleep' rather than 'Shut Down' when you quit Windows XP. This will save
    >> the machine state to the hard drive before turning off power. When you
    >> turn the system back on, Windows XP will not need to be restarted. All
    >> applets and applications that were active when 'Sleep' was selected will
    >> be loaded and in their previous state. If you also set the system BIOS
    >> to "Quick Boot", then the graphics adapter cooling fan will run at full
    >> speed for only a few seconds before the nVidia driver takes control.
    >>
    >> Or you could just move your system case further from your ear, better
    >> sound-proof your system case, or disconnect the graphics card fan power
    >> and take a chance - probably with less chance of a disastrous outcome
    >> than if you were to edit the graphics adapter BIOS.
    >>
    >> If the above doesn't help, then consider posting how you use your system.
    >>
    >> Phil Weldon
    >>
    >>

    > Thank you for the comment and advise.
    >
    > Apart from starting up etc I clone (HDCLONE started from a flop) the whole
    > harddisk to other harddisks of the same type at regular intervals as
    > backup which takes about half an hour.
    >
    > I knew ofcourse that running without the windows driver is the reason the
    > cooling fan runs at default speed.
    >
    > But I hate the not needed noise and I think it should have been avoided.
    >
    > I have modified plenty PC Bios'ses in the past starting from the PC AT
    > 80286 period and a few times also a video Bios.
    > I disassembled a lot of Bios code.
    > So I have some knowledge about the innerworkings.
    >
    > I'm not afraid to take a risk, its just hardware after all.
    > All the seven computers I presently have run the latest available Bios.
    >
    > I was really looking for an advise like the one I got from First of One
    > because I know from the past all tools to do the job exist.
    >
    > I'm only hesitating because I would have to study and think about the
    > downloaded stuff before using it and have become a bit lazy lately because
    > of old age (74).
    > In addition it's a bit warm and I have to work in the garden.
    >
    > Thank you again for your time and advise.
    >
    >
    >
    Phil Weldon, Jul 14, 2009
    #4
  5. Eric P.

    Eric P. Guest

    Phil Weldon wrote:
    > Well, if your normal tasks don't load the GPU heavily, then try
    > inserting a resistor in the GPU heatsink fan power line (or a rheostat
    > if you want to experiment) to limit the fan speed. It will never run a
    > full speed, but that shouldn't be a problem if the GPU is never heavily
    > loaded.or you could use a Zener diode and a suitable resistor to limit
    > the fan to, say, 35% under all conditions. And even use an external
    > switch to choose a 35% limit for start-up and DOS operation, but
    > flipping the switch for Windows XP operation to allow the nVidia driver
    > to run the GPU fan at any speed, depending on GPU temperature. I happen
    > to use a rheostat controlled fan to cool my hard drives (a 120 mm fan
    > fills the front part of four half height 5 1/4" bays) with the rheostat
    > mounted in an unused bay on a snap-in cover panel (the case has nine 5
    > 1/4 front accessible bays.)
    >
    > I'd bet that at your location you might get away with just limiting the
    > fan to 35% all the time, consider your ambient temperatures have go to
    > be a lot better than the 95 F ( 35 C ) I must contend with in Atlanta
    > and South Florida during the summer.
    >
    > Phil Weldon
    >

    I think changing the bios of the N9600GT is a much cleaner solution.
    Just limit the RPM of the fan when the card is in basic text mode.
    But I have to find how to do that exactly!

    In The Netherlands we have sometimes temperatures like that too.
    On the 19th of july 2006 35.7C was reached in the center of the country.
    In my small computer room the maximum is often higher in summertime.

    Thanks again for the info
    Eric P., Jul 14, 2009
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Chris
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    267
    Chris
    Sep 23, 2003
  2. Leif Nielsen

    DVI videocard for BH6

    Leif Nielsen, Sep 2, 2004, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    294
    Leif Nielsen
    Sep 2, 2004
  3. Tim
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    576
  4. Barend
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    247
    Christian Merkle
    Jan 1, 2004
  5. Eric P.

    Noisy N9699GT videocard

    Eric P., Jul 12, 2009, in forum: Nvidia
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    658
    Eric P.
    Jul 12, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page