    aether Guest

    Would a Radeon 9800 Pro (non-PCI Express card) work with, say, the Abit
    AA8XE motherboard?
    aether, Mar 7, 2005

  2. aether

    Paul Guest

    In article <>,
    "aether" <> wrote:

    > Would a Radeon 9800 Pro (non-PCI Express card) work with, say, the Abit
    > AA8XE motherboard?

    The AGP slot is a parallel bus. PCI Express is a collection of serial
    busses. Completely different animal.

    While there are a few motherboards that have both an AGP slot and
    a PCI-E slot, the manufacturer cheated and actually used a PCI bus
    for the AGP slot. Such products would be no good for AGP gaming, but
    the pseudo slot would be suitable for business apps.

    If you wish to reuse your video card, there are motherboards
    (like the Asus P5P800) that have an LGA775 socket for the latest
    Intel processors, but everything else on the board is legacy
    (AGP slot, PCI slots, 865PE chipset, DDR ram). Such products allow
    a limited upgrade strategy, that will be good for anything
    except the dual cores coming soon. (The comments I've read
    so far, suggest dual cores won't work on any LGA775 motherboard,
    but only time will tell whether this pessimistic news is
    correct or not.)

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 7, 2005

  3. aether

    DaveW Guest

    Absolutely NOT.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Mar 8, 2005
  4. "aether" <> wrote in message

    > Would a Radeon 9800 Pro (non-PCI Express card) work with, say, the Abit
    > AA8XE motherboard?

    An AGP card won't work in the AA8XE and using a PCI graphics card on an
    AA8XE would be criminal.

    DS
    David Schwartz, Mar 8, 2005
  5. aether

    aether Guest

    Once again, thanks for the feedback!
    aether, Mar 8, 2005
  6. aether

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Read the thread "AMD/Intel hybrid motherboard" one posting is about a
    PCI-Express motherboad with an AGP slot too (called an AGR slot in
    their parlance).

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Mar 17, 2005
  7. aether

    daytripper Guest

    On 17 Mar 2005 09:39:17 -0800, "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote:

    >Read the thread "AMD/Intel hybrid motherboard" one posting is about a
    >PCI-Express motherboad with an AGP slot too (called an AGR slot in
    >their parlance).
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    And that would address the OP's question - how, YK?

    ;-)
    daytripper, Mar 17, 2005
  8. aether

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    daytripper wrote:
    > On 17 Mar 2005 09:39:17 -0800, "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Read the thread "AMD/Intel hybrid motherboard" one posting is about a
    >>PCI-Express motherboad with an AGP slot too (called an AGR slot in
    >>their parlance).
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    > And that would address the OP's question - how, YK?
    >
    > ;-)

    He was asking about putting an AGP card into a PCI-e motherboard.

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Mar 21, 2005
  9. aether

    Fireboat

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Question

    Just a follow-up question to this topic, is the motherboard damaged if a non-PCI Express card is installed into a PCI Express socket and then powered up?
    Fireboat, Nov 21, 2006