  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Have been searching for a Northwood P4C800 3.4 to replace my 3.0ghz Northwood which resides on a Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo. There are plenty of Prescott processors at 3.4 available but the Northwood part (non EE) seems to have left the planet.. Can I use the Prescott on my Asus P4C800 Deluxe? The bios number on the board is 1011.007 and it's a version 2.0. Anyone? tia
    Raptor, May 1, 2005

  2. Raptor

    RBM Guest

    RBM, May 2, 2005

  3. Raptor

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "Raptor"
    <> wrote:

    > Have been searching for a Northwood P4C800 3.4 to replace my 3.0ghz =
    > Northwood which resides on a Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo. There are =
    > plenty of Prescott processors at 3.4 available but the Northwood part =
    > (non EE) seems to have left the planet.. Can I use the Prescott on my =
    > Asus P4C800 Deluxe? The bios number on the board is 1011.007 and it's =
    > a version 2.0. Anyone? tia

    Using your favorite search engine, have a look for BX80532PG3400D .
    I think that is the order code for a SL793 3.4GHz Northwood.
    There's gotta be one around somewhere.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...Fam=483&PkgType=6544&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

    The main Pentium4 list is here. Just click "Go", then package
    type 478, then filter on selection. The Northwoods are the 0.13u
    entries.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp?CHRID=483

    If you check here, your P4C800 Deluxe supports 3.4C, 3.4E,
    and 3.4EE - Northwood, Prescott, and Extreme Edition.

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, May 2, 2005
  4. Raptor

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Vist the Asus CPU compatibility page:

    http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    (I'd give a URL for the P4C800 D., but the page isn't set up to permit
    that.)

    It appears that BIOS 1017 or newer is needed for the Prescott CPUs. (The
    latest firmware is 1019.)

    As another poster remarked, make sure that you get a Socket 478 CPU (not LGA
    775).

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    Bob Knowlden, May 2, 2005
  5. Raptor

    aj Guest

    Raptor wrote:

    > Have been searching for a Northwood P4C800 3.4 to replace my 3.0ghz
    > Northwood which resides on a Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo. There are
    > plenty of Prescott processors at 3.4 available but the Northwood part
    > (non EE) seems to have left the planet.. Can I use the Prescott on
    > my Asus P4C800 Deluxe? The bios number on the board is 1011.007 and
    > it's a version 2.0. Anyone? tia

    I've got the same board and a P4 Pressy 3.2E Bios 1019. Just
    Beautiful!!!
    aj, May 2, 2005
  6. Raptor

    John Guest

    "aj" <> wrote in message
    > Raptor wrote:
    >
    > > Have been searching for a Northwood P4C800 3.4 to replace my 3.0ghz
    > > Northwood which resides on a Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo. There are
    > > plenty of Prescott processors at 3.4 available but the Northwood part
    > > (non EE) seems to have left the planet.. Can I use the Prescott on
    > > my Asus P4C800 Deluxe? The bios number on the board is 1011.007 and
    > > it's a version 2.0. Anyone? tia

    > I've got the same board and a P4 Pressy 3.2E Bios 1019. Just
    > Beautiful!!!

    The antonym for Beautiful is Prescott.
    John, May 2, 2005
  7. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Wow, this is getting complicated. If I screw up the bios update I'm hoosed
    right? Think I'll continue my search for the Northwood part.
    Ok, I'm a wuss :)

    Raptor, May 2, 2005
  8. Raptor

    aj Guest

    John wrote:

    > "aj" <> wrote in message
    > > Raptor wrote:
    > >
    > > > Have been searching for a Northwood P4C800 3.4 to replace my
    > > > 3.0ghz Northwood which resides on a Asus P4C800 Deluxe mobo.
    > > > There are plenty of Prescott processors at 3.4 available but the
    > > > Northwood part (non EE) seems to have left the planet.. Can I
    > > > use the Prescott on my Asus P4C800 Deluxe? The bios number on
    > > > the board is 1011.007 and it's a version 2.0. Anyone? tia

    > > I've got the same board and a P4 Pressy 3.2E Bios 1019. Just
    > > Beautiful!!!

    > The antonym for Beautiful is Prescott.

    You mean "synonym"
    aj, May 2, 2005
  9. Raptor

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    Oh, don't be a wuss.

    While there's a potential for trouble with a BIOS flash, I've never had one
    go bad. I tend to do it the old fashioned way, off a DOS boot floppy (or
    whatever facsimile XP creates). I guess the main point is to avoid
    interrupting power to the PC while the flash is in progress. (This isn't a
    problem for me, as I jhave no small children or large dogs.)

    Even if the flash gets messed up, the BIOS chip is usually socketed and
    replaceable. (I'm under the impression that Asus charges $25US for a BIOS
    chip replacement. You'd have to swap it in, or find a shop to do it.)

    On the other hand, the Northwood may have slightly better performance on
    average, if you can turn one up. I don't know how the current crop of
    Prescotts is running, but the initial models were famous for running hot.
    (The sad part is that it was due to leakage current, so they were supposed
    to run warm at idle.)

    Bob Kn.

    Bob Knowlden, May 3, 2005
  10. Raptor

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, "Raptor"
    <> wrote:

    > Wow, this is getting complicated. If I screw up the bios update I'm hoosed
    > right? Think I'll continue my search for the Northwood part.
    > Ok, I'm a wuss :)

    Badflash.com or several of the other flash chip companies can
    bail you out for about $25 or so. If you want to bullet-proof
    your system, a "BIOS Savior" from ioss.com.tw , which costs
    about the same price ($25), can be installed in the system
    before you attempt to flash upgrade. The BIOS Savior
    contains a second BIOS chip, so you can practice flashing
    your beta BIOS into the second chip, and if the flash upgrade
    fails, flip a switch and return to the original primary BIOS
    chip.

    Basically if you've got $25 or so kicking around, you can
    afford to live dangerously :) Considering the money you plan
    on spending on the new processor, that should not be a problem.

    Paul

    Paul, May 3, 2005
  11. Raptor

    jime Guest

    If your bios needs to be upgrade for the cpu; How can you run the system to
    upgrade the bios? Seems like a catch 22 to me??

    Jim

    jime, May 4, 2005