    cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466 512 x2. I get
    periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier increase at all,
    video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board finicky for ram?

    News Reeder, Nov 9, 2005

  2. News Reeder

    dawg Guest

    Might be the ram.When did you buy it? Have you raised VDIMM?

    "News Reeder" <> wrote in message
    > I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't get

    the

    dawg, Nov 9, 2005

  3. News Reeder wrote:
    > I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't
    > get the cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466
    > 512 x2. I get periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier
    > increase at all, video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board
    > finicky for ram?

    Try dropping (one at a time, NOT several at the same time) the memory ratio
    (to check to see if your memory is the problems), the CPU multiplier (to see
    if the CPU is the problem), the HT multiplier (too see if it's the
    southbridge). If none of these allow you to use a higher system clock then
    try dropping all three at once and see if that changes anything.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

    Michael Brown, Nov 10, 2005
  4. News Reeder

    Cal Vanize Guest

    Michael Brown wrote:
    > News Reeder wrote:
    >
    >>I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't
    >>get the cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466
    >>512 x2. I get periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier
    >>increase at all, video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board
    >>finicky for ram?

    > Try dropping (one at a time, NOT several at the same time) the memory ratio
    > (to check to see if your memory is the problems), the CPU multiplier (to see
    > if the CPU is the problem), the HT multiplier (too see if it's the
    > southbridge). If none of these allow you to use a higher system clock then
    > try dropping all three at once and see if that changes anything.

    Have you tried a different power supply?

    Cal Vanize, Nov 10, 2005
  5. News Reeder

    Rich Guest

    >I am not sure what to blame. The board, CPU, or my ram, but I can't get the
    >cpu past 2.4 and be stable. Ram is Kingston HyperX DDR 466 512 x2. I get
    >periodic freezes where I have to reboot, no multiplier increase at all,
    > video is X800XL, no OC on video either. Is board finicky for ram?

    Personally, I've had bad luck with the Asrock boards. If the price is too
    good to be true...

    Rich, Nov 10, 2005
  6. News Reeder

    News Reeder Guest

    Ive dropped the ram to 266, the FSB to 200 and the HT to 8x400. This runs
    stable. And what does the PCI-E Sync and Async mean?

    News Reeder, Nov 10, 2005
  7. News Reeder wrote:
    > Ive dropped the ram to 266, the FSB to 200 and the HT to 8x400. This
    > runs stable.

    It also tells you absolutely nothing with regard to where the problem is
    (there is a reason why I said drop each one down individually). The board
    should be capable of handling a 300 MHz system clock so the problem is
    probably with your CPU or RAM.

    > And what does the PCI-E Sync and Async mean?

    Sync = PCI-E frequency goes up with the system clock. Async = stays the same
    regardless of the system clock (aka PCI lock). You want async.

    Michael Brown, Nov 10, 2005
  8. News Reeder

    News Reeder Guest

    Async yes, I get that, I feel its the ram. Gonna try your drop the ram,
    raise the cpu, so is it the FSB I raise or the HT (8x400)?

    News Reeder, Nov 11, 2005
  9. News Reeder

    dawg Guest

    HT usually only needs to be lowered when you get to the 240-250 FSB range.4x
    or 5x is default for HT on 939. When I run my 2800+ at 245FSB I need to set
    HT to 3x.(Socket 754 mobo)

    dawg, Nov 11, 2005