    New new iMacs or Minis, though.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 11, 2012

  2. In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > New Mac Pros.
    >
    > Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Xeon processor, 6 GB, 1 TB drive: $2499
    > 12-core (two 6-core Xeons) 2.4 GHz, 12 GB, 1 TB drive: $3799
    > Server: One 3.2 GHz Quad Core, 8 GB, two 1 TB drives: $2999
    >
    > The Quad and 12 core models come with a SuperDrive, the Server model
    > doesn't, but of course comes with Lion Server.
    >
    > There are BTO upgrades available as well.
    >
    > New new iMacs or Minis, though.

    Damn! You beat me to it.

    David Fritzinger, Jun 11, 2012

  3. On 06/11/2012 03:49 PM, Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > New Mac Pros.
    >
    > Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Xeon processor, 6 GB, 1 TB drive: $2499
    > 12-core (two 6-core Xeons) 2.4 GHz, 12 GB, 1 TB drive: $3799
    > Server: One 3.2 GHz Quad Core, 8 GB, two 1 TB drives: $2999
    >
    > The Quad and 12 core models come with a SuperDrive, the Server model
    > doesn't, but of course comes with Lion Server.
    >
    > There are BTO upgrades available as well.
    >
    > New new iMacs or Minis, though.

    The real news: no news. Still overpriced stuff.

    The focus of the upgrade today was centered around the CPUs. The aging
    pair of six-core 2.93GHz Intel Xeon X5670 processors of the high-end
    model have been replaced with the slightly beefier six-core 3.06GHz
    Intel Xeon X5675. As standard, this model comes with two 2.4GHx six-core
    Xeons, 12GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive, and will cost you $3,799.

    You can configure for yourself a dual-processor Mac Pro system that’s
    fully loaded with 64Gb of RAM and four 2TB hard drives, but this monster
    system does however come with the monster price tag of $9,199.

    Graphics for the Mac Pro are powered by ATI’s Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB
    GDDR5, which, while it might be an adequate graphics chip, is hardly
    cutting-edge. In fact, if you wanted to pick up a graphics card with a
    similar spec for a PC it would only cost you about $115. This somehow
    doesn’t seem fitting inside a system that could cost you almost $10,000.

    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/wwdc-the-mac-pro-isnt-dead-yet/20751

    Arthur Lubrogof, Jun 12, 2012
  4. Salut Michelle

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > New Mac Pros.
    >
    > Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Xeon processor, 6 GB, 1 TB drive: $2499
    > 12-core (two 6-core Xeons) 2.4 GHz, 12 GB, 1 TB drive: $3799
    > Server: One 3.2 GHz Quad Core, 8 GB, two 1 TB drives: $2999
    >
    > The Quad and 12 core models come with a SuperDrive, the Server model
    > doesn't, but of course comes with Lion Server.

    specs seem to have changed since you posted: 1 SuperDrive is standard on
    the server model:
    <http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/configure/MD772LL/A?>

    Cheers
    Andreas

    --
    MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
    EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk

    Andreas Rutishauser, Jun 12, 2012
  5. In article <>,
    Andreas Rutishauser <> wrote:

    > > Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Xeon processor, 6 GB, 1 TB drive: $2499
    > > 12-core (two 6-core Xeons) 2.4 GHz, 12 GB, 1 TB drive: $3799
    > > Server: One 3.2 GHz Quad Core, 8 GB, two 1 TB drives: $2999
    > >
    > > The Quad and 12 core models come with a SuperDrive, the Server model
    > > doesn't, but of course comes with Lion Server.

    > specs seem to have changed since you posted: 1 SuperDrive is standard on
    > the server model:
    > <http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/configure/MD772LL/A?>

    Yup, certainly looks that way.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 12, 2012
  6. On 12-06-11 2:49 PM, Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > New Mac Pros.
    >
    > Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Xeon processor, 6 GB, 1 TB drive: $2499
    > 12-core (two 6-core Xeons) 2.4 GHz, 12 GB, 1 TB drive: $3799
    > Server: One 3.2 GHz Quad Core, 8 GB, two 1 TB drives: $2999

    Sadly, this is not really "new". Basically a speed bump.

    When I by a Mac Pro, I want to know that it will run "the latest system"
    reasonably well at least five years from now. Pros are two pricey to be
    replacing more frequently.

    The "new" Quad-core is still using the Xeon W3565, which is pretty much
    what is in my three year old machine (Early 2009 MacPro). I don't know
    what the situation will be when it is time to replace my Mac Pro, but if
    I were doing it today, it would not be with another one.

    Cheers,

    -j

    --
    Jeffrey Goldberg http://goldmark.org/jeff/
    I rarely read HTML or poorly quoting posts

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Jun 12, 2012
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:49:58 -0700, Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > New Mac Pros.
    >
    > Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Xeon processor, 6 GB, 1 TB drive: $2499 12-core (two
    > 6-core Xeons) 2.4 GHz, 12 GB, 1 TB drive: $3799 Server: One 3.2 GHz
    > Quad Core, 8 GB, two 1 TB drives: $2999
    >
    > The Quad and 12 core models come with a SuperDrive, the Server model
    > doesn't, but of course comes with Lion Server.
    >
    > There are BTO upgrades available as well.

    Sorry, wgat's BTO?

    > New new iMacs or Minis, though.

    I assume you meant "No new" there. Any change on the Mini pricing though?

    Paul Sture, Jun 12, 2012
  8. Michelle Steiner

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul Sture
    <> wrote:

    > > New Mac Pros.
    > >
    > > Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Xeon processor, 6 GB, 1 TB drive: $2499 12-core (two
    > > 6-core Xeons) 2.4 GHz, 12 GB, 1 TB drive: $3799 Server: One 3.2 GHz
    > > Quad Core, 8 GB, two 1 TB drives: $2999
    > >
    > > The Quad and 12 core models come with a SuperDrive, the Server model
    > > doesn't, but of course comes with Lion Server.
    > >
    > > There are BTO upgrades available as well.

    > Sorry, wgat's BTO?

    build to order

    nospam, Jun 12, 2012
  9. In article <>,
    Paul Sture <> wrote:

    > > There are BTO upgrades available as well.

    > Sorry, wgat's BTO?

    Build to Order.

    > > New new iMacs or Minis, though.

    > I assume you meant "No new" there. Any change on the Mini pricing though?

    Yes to the first. No to the second.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 12, 2012
  10. Michelle Steiner

    Kurt Ullman Guest

    In article <>,
    Paul Sture <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:49:58 -0700, Michelle Steiner wrote:
    >
    > > New Mac Pros.
    > >
    > > Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Xeon processor, 6 GB, 1 TB drive: $2499 12-core (two
    > > 6-core Xeons) 2.4 GHz, 12 GB, 1 TB drive: $3799 Server: One 3.2 GHz
    > > Quad Core, 8 GB, two 1 TB drives: $2999
    > >
    > > The Quad and 12 core models come with a SuperDrive, the Server model
    > > doesn't, but of course comes with Lion Server.
    > >
    > > There are BTO upgrades available as well.

    > Sorry, wgat's BTO?

    Upgrade to a Bachman-Turner Overdrive (grin).

    Kurt Ullman, Jun 12, 2012
  11. In article <>, Paul Sture
    <> wrote:

    > I assume you meant "No new" there. Any change on the Mini pricing though?

    Pricing doesn't usually change until a new model is released, and even
    then it's rarely anything more than allowing for currency exchange
    changes.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Jun 12, 2012
  12. New Pros "later next year" [Was: Not mentioned at the WWDC]

    http://www.macworld.com/article/1167247/cook_apple_planning_professional_mac_for_2013.html

    in which Tim Cook writes to a customer:

    > Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we
    > didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event,
    > don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next
    > year.

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Jun 12, 2012
  13. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2012-06-12 16:25 , Kurt Ullman wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Paul Sture <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:49:58 -0700, Michelle Steiner wrote:
    >>
    >>> New Mac Pros.
    >>>
    >>> Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Xeon processor, 6 GB, 1 TB drive: $2499 12-core (two
    >>> 6-core Xeons) 2.4 GHz, 12 GB, 1 TB drive: $3799 Server: One 3.2 GHz
    >>> Quad Core, 8 GB, two 1 TB drives: $2999
    >>>
    >>> The Quad and 12 core models come with a SuperDrive, the Server model
    >>> doesn't, but of course comes with Lion Server.
    >>>
    >>> There are BTO upgrades available as well.

    >> Sorry, wgat's BTO?
    >>>

    > Upgrade to a Bachman-Turner Overdrive (grin).

    Glad you took care of business on that one.

    --
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -Samuel Clemens.

    Alan Browne, Jun 13, 2012
  14. Michelle Steiner

    JF Mezei Guest

    Question:

    Apple bothered to update the "legacy" MacBook pros with new chips etc,
    and also uveiled the wet-dream MacBook Pro/Air with retina display,
    flash disk etc.

    Sort of interesting to see the old models getting an upgrade.

    Is apple going to test the market to see if stuff like ethernet ports
    etc are important to "pro" customers ?

    Is is this more of a case that the wet-dream MacBook Pro is going to be
    in such short supply (due to retina display) that most people will still
    b buying the legacy macbook pros ?

    JF Mezei, Jun 13, 2012
  15. On 12-06-12 8:15 PM, JF Mezei wrote:

    > Sort of interesting to see the old models getting an upgrade.
    >
    > Is apple going to test the market to see if stuff like ethernet ports
    > etc are important to "pro" customers ?
    >
    > Is is this more of a case that the wet-dream MacBook Pro is going to be
    > in such short supply (due to retina display) that most people will still
    > b buying the legacy macbook pros ?

    I think that there are plenty of people who simply don't want to pay for
    a retina display on an MBP. It (along with the sleeker form) adds about
    $400. It's only for the very high end MBP.

    Cheers,

    -j

    Jeffrey Goldberg, Jun 13, 2012
  16. In article
    <>,
    (Helpful Harry) wrote:

    > > I assume you meant "No new" there. Any change on the Mini pricing
    > > though?

    > Pricing doesn't usually change until a new model is released, and even
    > then it's rarely anything more than allowing for currency exchange
    > changes.

    Here in the USA, the prices of MacBook Airs dropped $100. The prices of
    the MacBook Pros, though, remained the same.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 13, 2012
  17. In article <>, wrote:
    > On 12-06-12 8:15 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
    > >
    > > Sort of interesting to see the old models getting an upgrade.
    > >
    > > Is apple going to test the market to see if stuff like ethernet ports
    > > etc are important to "pro" customers ?
    > >
    > > Is is this more of a case that the wet-dream MacBook Pro is going to be
    > > in such short supply (due to retina display) that most people will still
    > > b buying the legacy macbook pros ?

    > I think that there are plenty of people who simply don't want to pay for
    > a retina display on an MBP. It (along with the sleeker form) adds about
    > $400. It's only for the very high end MBP.

    Yep. As the price of Retina displays drops, the other MacBook Pro and
    MacBook Air models will get them too (possibly in the next update),
    although the 11" and 13" models may have a reduced battery life.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Jun 13, 2012
  18. In article <>, Kurt Ullman
    <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Jeffrey Goldberg <> wrote:
    > > On 12-06-12 8:15 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
    > >
    > > > Sort of interesting to see the old models getting an upgrade.
    > > >
    > > > Is apple going to test the market to see if stuff like ethernet ports
    > > > etc are important to "pro" customers ?
    > > >
    > > > Is is this more of a case that the wet-dream MacBook Pro is going to be
    > > > in such short supply (due to retina display) that most people will still
    > > > b buying the legacy macbook pros ?

    > > I think that there are plenty of people who simply don't want to pay for
    > > a retina display on an MBP. It (along with the sleeker form) adds about
    > > $400. It's only for the very high end MBP.
    > >

    > That is my take for the next one I get. I don't really have any use
    > for a Retina display since 99% of the stuff I do is either in Word since
    > I write for a living or the browser. I just don't see the reason for the
    > extra $400 the way I use it.

    Just like on the iPad, a Retina display will make the text cleaner and
    sharper, and easier to read ... assuming you're using a version of Word
    that either uses Apple's text routines or has been re-written for Retina
    dsiplays.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)

    Helpful Harry, Jun 13, 2012
  19. Michelle Steiner

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 06-13-2012 17:34, Helpful Harry wrote:
    > Just like on the iPad, a Retina display will make the text cleaner and
    > sharper, and easier to read ... assuming you're using a version of Word
    > that either uses Apple's text routines or has been re-written for Retina
    > dsiplays.

    And unless you're incredibly wealthy or have a visual impairment, that's
    not worth $400.

    And Microsoft Word is not likely to be re-written for Retina displays.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
    http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/

    Wes Groleau, Jun 14, 2012
  20. Michelle Steiner

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On 2012-06-14 03:21:52 +0000, Wes Groleau said:

    > And Microsoft Word is not likely to be re-written for Retina displays.

    And why would anybody want to run Microsoft Word on a Mac when Apple's
    Pages is so much better?

    --
    James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

    TaliesinSoft, Jun 14, 2012