    use mine around the house on AC power. For longevity's sake, should I
    shut it down after I'm done using it, or leave it on day to day? I
    tried searching for past threads on this, but found nothing recent. TIA.
    johannmon, Feb 8, 2004

  2. > Longtime desktop user who just bought his first notebook- a Thinkpad
    > T41. I know there have been endless debates about whether to turn off
    > desktop machines daily or keep them on. What about notebooks? I mostly
    > use mine around the house on AC power. For longevity's sake, should I
    > shut it down after I'm done using it, or leave it on day to day? I
    > tried searching for past threads on this, but found nothing recent. TIA.

    I never turn of my notebooks since 1993

    Over night of when I tranport them

    Suspend to RAM

    --
    Roland Mösl
    http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=, Feb 8, 2004

  3. johannmon

    E Brown Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:08:23 GMT, johannmon <>
    wrote:
    >Longtime desktop user who just bought his first notebook- a Thinkpad
    >T41. I know there have been endless debates about whether to turn off
    >desktop machines daily or keep them on. What about notebooks? I mostly
    >use mine around the house on AC power. For longevity's sake, should I
    >shut it down after I'm done using it, or leave it on day to day? I
    >tried searching for past threads on this, but found nothing recent. TIA.

    I'm with Roland - I never turn mine off unless I'm concerned about
    battery life.
    Emanuel
    E Brown, Feb 9, 2004
  4. "johannmon" <> wrote in message
    > Longtime desktop user who just bought his first notebook- a Thinkpad
    > T41. I know there have been endless debates about whether to turn off
    > desktop machines daily or keep them on. What about notebooks? I mostly
    > use mine around the house on AC power. For longevity's sake, should I
    > shut it down after I'm done using it, or leave it on day to day? I
    > tried searching for past threads on this, but found nothing recent. TIA.

    Depends on what you mean by "leave it on", I think... standby? On except
    for the drives and screen? Or fully on? Fully on all the time would
    shorten a laptop's life just as it shorten's a desktop's life - but in a
    desktop, you can replace any failing component easily and maintain your
    uptime with minimal effort. A laptop is a lot more problematic - your video
    chip dies (and I've seen this happen), and you're screwed. Ditto for your
    CPU, motherboard, and drives (depending on the laptop, they may or may not
    be easy to replace). LCD screens also tend to "yellow" and dim over a
    period of time - they do not last forever. And of course, laptops have a
    harder time dissipating heat than desktops, so their components are under a
    lot of stress when in use - many laptops operate right on the edge of
    failure even under normal conditions.

    As with any other IDE hard drive, you should not expect a laptop hard drive
    to last more than 2-3 years. Many drives do, but the failure rates start
    increasing geometrically each year beyond that in my experience. And that's
    2-3 years of regular use, not constant use.

    My advice: at least keep the laptop on standby most of the time.
    Personally, though, in my experience standby does not save much time over
    hibernate. Which is really the same as "off" (just with your memory state
    saved to the hard drive). I think it's best to power down when you're not
    using the system.

    // Jeff Williams
    //
    Jeff Williams, Feb 9, 2004
  5. johannmon

    Joe Davis Guest

    I basically agree with Jeff, and will add a couple of comments: I don't
    like the performance of my Dell 600m when the power saving features are
    optimized, so I set it up to disable all those features, EXCEPT I have it go
    to Standby after a short period (5 to 10 minutes) of inactivity. By doing
    that, I can usually get a full day's work out of my "3 hour battery". Which
    means that in addition to minimizing heat and prolonging battery life, I
    figure I'm saving at least 5/8ths of the wear I would otherwise be imposing
    on the machine by leaving it on all the time.

    I usually get a new laptop about every 2 years, mostly for technical
    reasons. I rarely have any major problems with components during a 2-year
    time window, but some of my friends who keep their laptops on all the time
    definitely seem to need repairs sooner.

    Joe Davis, Feb 9, 2004