NTLDR problem not a Windows problem: BIOS Corrupted

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by arnieb, Oct 3, 2011.

  1. arnieb

    arnieb Guest

    Hi,
    I have a GA-880GA-UD3H Rev 3.0 board. I was in the process of
    recovering from a Win7-64 crash when I got the message, NTLDR Missing.
    I swapped in my old drive with the older, but still working version of
    Windows and I got the same message. Next, I did what I was supposed to
    do and ran the repair/recovery disk with the same result.

    Finally, in desperation, I downloaded the latest version of the BIOS
    reflashed it. That solved the problem. What made me suspicious is that
    I was changing the boot order in the BIOS a number of times to switch
    from my Windows DVD to the hard drive.

    Anyway, what was interesting to me was the BIOS back-up failures:

    First, the corrupted BIOS was not detected,
    Second, the backup BIOS did not take over,
    Third, the error message was misleading and implied a disk problem
    when, in fact, it was a BIOS failure.

    Just wanted to let everyone know about this so you don't sppend 5
    hours on a Sunday going through what I went through.

    Arnie

    arnieb, Oct 3, 2011

  2. arnieb wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a GA-880GA-UD3H Rev 3.0 board. I was in the process of
    > recovering from a Win7-64 crash when I got the message, NTLDR Missing.
    > I swapped in my old drive with the older, but still working version of
    > Windows and I got the same message. Next, I did what I was supposed to
    > do and ran the repair/recovery disk with the same result.
    >
    > Finally, in desperation, I downloaded the latest version of the BIOS
    > reflashed it. That solved the problem. What made me suspicious is that
    > I was changing the boot order in the BIOS a number of times to switch
    > from my Windows DVD to the hard drive.
    >
    > Anyway, what was interesting to me was the BIOS back-up failures:
    >
    > First, the corrupted BIOS was not detected,
    > Second, the backup BIOS did not take over,
    > Third, the error message was misleading and implied a disk problem
    > when, in fact, it was a BIOS failure.
    >
    > Just wanted to let everyone know about this so you don't sppend 5
    > hours on a Sunday going through what I went through.
    >
    > Arnie

    Interesting.
    Thanks!

    Paul in Houston TX, Oct 3, 2011

  3. arnieb

    mikeyhsd Guest

    just wondering why you feel the need to switch boot order so much.
    I just leave the dvd as first and with nothing in it the hard drive is picked as next.

    mikeyshd

    mikeyhsd, Oct 3, 2011