    changing).

    Thanks,
    Craig
    Craig, Sep 3, 2006

  2. Craig

    Rich Guest

    On 3 Sep 2006 09:45:41 -0700, "Craig" <>
    wrote:

    >I client called me about there dell laptop, whenever they press a key
    >with a number it shows the number instead of the letter on screen.
    >They contacted Dell and they want them to do a reinstall of XP to fix
    >the problem. I'm assuming the Fn key isn't working for toggling back
    >and forth, I assume dell would of checked this. I don't know the exact
    >details but reinstall the O/S seems a little extreme and may only be a
    >temporary solution. Does anyone know why this is happening and what in
    >the o/s needs to be changed (maybe something in the registry needs
    >changing).
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Craig

    1) the keyboard is physically damaged and needs to be replaced?

    2) the only number keys with numbers on my d810 are on the top row
    below the function keys. pressing the '1' key without the shift
    produces a '1', pressing the '1' key WITH the shift produces a '!'.
    seems silly to ask but i've seen it happen in the newsgroups...do your
    clients know how to use the shift key?

    3) if there is a separate numeric keypad is the number lock on?

    reinstalling the OS does seem a bit extreme. have your clients ask
    for 2nd or 3rd tier support.

    73,
    rich, n9dko
    Rich, Sep 3, 2006

  3. Craig

    PeterD Guest

    wrote:

    >I client called me about there dell laptop, whenever they press a key
    >with a number it shows the number instead of the letter on screen.
    >They contacted Dell and they want them to do a reinstall of XP to fix
    >the problem. I'm assuming the Fn key isn't working for toggling back
    >and forth, I assume dell would of checked this. I don't know the exact
    >details but reinstall the O/S seems a little extreme and may only be a
    >temporary solution. Does anyone know why this is happening and what in
    >the o/s needs to be changed (maybe something in the registry needs
    >changing).
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Craig

    Turn off num lock...
    PeterD, Sep 3, 2006
  4. Craig

    PeterD Guest

    wrote:

    >I client called me about there dell laptop, whenever they press a key
    >with a number it shows the number instead of the letter on screen.
    >They contacted Dell and they want them to do a reinstall of XP to fix
    >the problem. I'm assuming the Fn key isn't working for toggling back
    >and forth, I assume dell would of checked this. I don't know the exact
    >details but reinstall the O/S seems a little extreme and may only be a
    >temporary solution. Does anyone know why this is happening and what in
    >the o/s needs to be changed (maybe something in the registry needs
    >changing).
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Craig

    Oh, if the notebook doesn't have a numlock key, plug in a regular
    keyboard and turn off num lock...

    Been there, done that--my notebook without a numlock key can get
    toggled on with the external keyboard and be a bear to turn off.
    PeterD, Sep 3, 2006
  5. Craig

    Craig Guest

    PeterD wrote:
    > Oh, if the notebook doesn't have a numlock key, plug in a regular
    > keyboard and turn off num lock...
    >

    > Been there, done that--my notebook without a numlock key can get
    > toggled on with the external keyboard and be a bear to turn off.

    Thanks for your reply. I'll go by there office later this week and see
    whats wrong with the keyboard.

    Craig
    Craig, Sep 4, 2006