1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

Nvidia CFO Hints At No Spring PS3 Launch

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Radeon, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. Radeon

    Radeon Guest

    Nvidia CFO Hints At No Spring PS3 Launch

    By: Jared Black


    In a conference call today discussing fiscal Q4 2006 results, Nvidia
    CFO Marv Burkett may have once and for all inadvertently settled the
    industry's worst-kept secret: the PlayStation 3 will not launch this
    Spring despite Sony's claims to the contrary. During the conference
    call, Burkett stated that although the company's RSX graphics chip to
    be used in the PS3 is complete and ready for production, Nvidia didn't
    expect to receive any royalties for the current fiscal quarter ending
    in April.

    Naturally, if Nvidia isn't receiving any royalties on the chip, that
    almost certainly means Sony isn't producing any consoles that use the
    chip. And if Sony isn't going to begin producing consoles that use the
    chip until after April, then of course a launch during the Spring is
    impossible without some sort of time travel or voodoo magic involved.

    Sorry fanboys, but it's time to give in to good old common sense and
    count on a fall launch for Sony's uber-console.

    http://ps3.vggen.com/news/news.php?id=465


    .......................................................................................................................................

    A Clue From Nvidia On PlayStation 3 Schedule

    Dean Takahashi, 06:28 PM in Dean Takahashi, Gaming

    Graphics chip maker Nvidia reported today that it doesn't anticipate
    any royalties from Sony during the current fiscal quarter which closes
    at the end of April. In a conference call, Chief Financial Officer Marv
    Burkett made the statement. Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO, said that he couldn't
    talk about the schedule for the PlayStation 3. He said that Nvidia's
    RSX graphics chip for the PS 3 is done and the company has production
    silicon for it.

    However, since Nvidia won't be collecting royalties on the chip this
    quarter, that suggests that Sony isn't going to be producing machines
    during the months that close at the end of April, 2006. That suggests
    that Sony won't be shipping the PS 3 anytime soon, despite its comment
    last May that it would ship in the spring of 2006.

    Nvidia got license and engineering revenue from Sony amounting to $20
    million in its previous quarter that ended Jan. 29. Publications such
    as Next Generation Biz have said that the launch of the PS 3 won't
    happen until the fall. Burkett said that Nvidia got follow-on
    engineering contracts from Sony and so that it continued to spend money
    on engineering development for Sony.

    Nvidia had a strong quarter with net income doubling to $98 million and
    sales growing 12 percent to $633.6 million compared to a year ago.
    Huang predicted that the graphics business will do well this year from
    the adoption of high-definition TV/computing as well as the launch of
    the Windows Vista operating system. Regarding a new PC graphics chip,
    Huang said, "I don't have anything to announce today. The buzz around
    the industry is we have something to announce soon."

    http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/02/a_clue_from_nvi.html
    Radeon, Feb 17, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Radeon

    Swam Mollen Guest

    The irony is, this delay may be because of the Blu-Ray playback
    features of the PS3. The AACS being delayed will knock on the PS3
    launch, even by just one month - thus mussing Spring.

    Besides, I dont think anyone with an ounce of common sense really
    expected it to launch so soon.

    Sony may well just try a simultaneous USA and Japan release after all,
    just to get back some of the momentum they would have lost...

    Radeon wrote:
    > Nvidia CFO Hints At No Spring PS3 Launch
    >
    > By: Jared Black
    >
    >
    > In a conference call today discussing fiscal Q4 2006 results, Nvidia
    > CFO Marv Burkett may have once and for all inadvertently settled the
    > industry's worst-kept secret: the PlayStation 3 will not launch this
    > Spring despite Sony's claims to the contrary. During the conference
    > call, Burkett stated that although the company's RSX graphics chip to
    > be used in the PS3 is complete and ready for production, Nvidia didn't
    > expect to receive any royalties for the current fiscal quarter ending
    > in April.
    >
    > Naturally, if Nvidia isn't receiving any royalties on the chip, that
    > almost certainly means Sony isn't producing any consoles that use the
    > chip. And if Sony isn't going to begin producing consoles that use the
    > chip until after April, then of course a launch during the Spring is
    > impossible without some sort of time travel or voodoo magic involved.
    >
    > Sorry fanboys, but it's time to give in to good old common sense and
    > count on a fall launch for Sony's uber-console.
    >
    > http://ps3.vggen.com/news/news.php?id=465
    >
    >
    > ......................................................................................................................................
    >
    > A Clue From Nvidia On PlayStation 3 Schedule
    >
    > Dean Takahashi, 06:28 PM in Dean Takahashi, Gaming
    >
    > Graphics chip maker Nvidia reported today that it doesn't anticipate
    > any royalties from Sony during the current fiscal quarter which closes
    > at the end of April. In a conference call, Chief Financial Officer Marv
    > Burkett made the statement. Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO, said that he couldn't
    > talk about the schedule for the PlayStation 3. He said that Nvidia's
    > RSX graphics chip for the PS 3 is done and the company has production
    > silicon for it.
    >
    > However, since Nvidia won't be collecting royalties on the chip this
    > quarter, that suggests that Sony isn't going to be producing machines
    > during the months that close at the end of April, 2006. That suggests
    > that Sony won't be shipping the PS 3 anytime soon, despite its comment
    > last May that it would ship in the spring of 2006.
    >
    > Nvidia got license and engineering revenue from Sony amounting to $20
    > million in its previous quarter that ended Jan. 29. Publications such
    > as Next Generation Biz have said that the launch of the PS 3 won't
    > happen until the fall. Burkett said that Nvidia got follow-on
    > engineering contracts from Sony and so that it continued to spend money
    > on engineering development for Sony.
    >
    > Nvidia had a strong quarter with net income doubling to $98 million and
    > sales growing 12 percent to $633.6 million compared to a year ago.
    > Huang predicted that the graphics business will do well this year from
    > the adoption of high-definition TV/computing as well as the launch of
    > the Windows Vista operating system. Regarding a new PC graphics chip,
    > Huang said, "I don't have anything to announce today. The buzz around
    > the industry is we have something to announce soon."
    >
    > http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/02/a_clue_from_nvi.html
    Swam Mollen, Feb 17, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Radeon

    Blig Merk Guest

    Nividia is not manufacturing the RSX. Actually, Nvidia does not
    manufacture their GPU, they are fabless. The Geforce GPU is
    manufactured mostly by TSMC. Nvidia designed the RSX under a paid
    contract with Sony. Sony is manufacturing the RSX themselves at their
    Nagasaki plant and the joint Toshiba fab. The RSX taped out in October
    2005, was in EDM silicon in November and pre-production silicon in
    December. They have been manufactured in volume since then. Nvidia
    starts receiving royalties once the RSX units start selling, that is,
    from RSX sales inside PS3 units. The CFO is stating this is expected to
    start happening some time after April.

    "The PS2 was shown at TGS in 1999 without any playable demos. Playable
    demos weren't shown until the Sony Conference in February 2000, then
    the console was released in March of 2000."
    Blig Merk, Feb 17, 2006
    #3
  4. Radeon

    Blig Merk Guest

    Nividia is not manufacturing the RSX. Actually, Nvidia does not
    manufacture their GPU, they are fabless. The Geforce GPU is
    manufactured mostly by TSMC. Nvidia designed the RSX under a paid
    contract with Sony. Sony is manufacturing the RSX themselves at their
    Nagasaki plant and the joint Toshiba fab. The RSX taped out in October
    2005, was in EDM silicon in November and pre-production silicon in
    December. They have been manufactured in volume since then. Nvidia
    starts receiving royalties once the RSX units start selling, that is,
    from RSX sales inside PS3 units. The CFO is stating this is expected to
    start happening some time after April.

    "The PS2 was shown at TGS in 1999 without any playable demos. Playable
    demos weren't shown until the Sony Conference in February 2000, then
    the console was released in March of 2000."
    Blig Merk, Feb 17, 2006
    #4
  5. Radeon

    Radeon Guest

    Blig, you just cannot admit that you won't be able to get your precious
    PS3,
    even a Japanese one, until the fall.

    ......haha, j/k.

    interesting post about the RSX readiness and production timeline.

    we'll see what happens won't we ?


    Blig Merk wrote:
    > Nividia is not manufacturing the RSX. Actually, Nvidia does not
    > manufacture their GPU, they are fabless. The Geforce GPU is
    > manufactured mostly by TSMC. Nvidia designed the RSX under a paid
    > contract with Sony. Sony is manufacturing the RSX themselves at their
    > Nagasaki plant and the joint Toshiba fab. The RSX taped out in October
    > 2005, was in EDM silicon in November and pre-production silicon in
    > December. They have been manufactured in volume since then. Nvidia
    > starts receiving royalties once the RSX units start selling, that is,
    > from RSX sales inside PS3 units. The CFO is stating this is expected to
    > start happening some time after April.
    >
    > "The PS2 was shown at TGS in 1999 without any playable demos. Playable
    > demos weren't shown until the Sony Conference in February 2000, then
    > the console was released in March of 2000."
    Radeon, Feb 17, 2006
    #5
  6. Swam Mollen wrote:
    > The irony is, this delay may be because of the Blu-Ray playback
    > features of the PS3. The AACS being delayed will knock on the PS3
    > launch, even by just one month - thus mussing Spring.
    >
    > Besides, I dont think anyone with an ounce of common sense really
    > expected it to launch so soon.
    >
    > Sony may well just try a simultaneous USA and Japan release after all,
    > just to get back some of the momentum they would have lost...
    >


    I think by spring Sony really meant when they'd finally let us in on
    everything about the ps3... THAT would be spring. But launch is real
    FALL. LOL

    I do agree with the AACS thing. Its probably that they want all their
    ducks in a row before they give us information that they might not be
    able to come through on. As i'm sure Sony knows how we feel about them
    not delivering what they say. They seriously need to be very cautious
    coming around that last corner toward launch. Beside the AACS thing, i
    really hope they are planning on launching with plenty of console for
    the shelves. No one (early adopters) gets left behind. And we can all
    enjoy Playstation HUB together. :) As homosexual as that sounds. LOL
    Brenden D. Chase, Feb 17, 2006
    #6
  7. Radeon

    John Lewis Guest

    On 16 Feb 2006 23:29:51 -0800, "Swam Mollen"
    <> wrote:

    >The irony is, this delay may be because of the Blu-Ray playback
    >features of the PS3. The AACS being delayed will knock on the PS3
    >launch, even by just one month - thus mussing Spring.
    >
    >Besides, I dont think anyone with an ounce of common sense really
    >expected it to launch so soon.
    >
    >Sony may well just try a simultaneous USA and Japan release after all,
    >just to get back some of the momentum they would have lost...
    >


    Er, exactly what momentum ??

    Seems as if Xflop360 will be obsolete technology before it is offered
    for sale at any US outlets expecting consistent volume shipment before
    they touch the product....like CompUSA, Costco or Fry's.

    Anyway, the Xflop720 is coming probably by next Christmas... i.e the
    redesigned Xflop360 with 65nm technology to reduce the internal
    frying-pan heat and an integrated HD-DVD or Blu-ray drive.

    John Lewis
    John Lewis, Feb 17, 2006
    #7
  8. John Lewis wrote:

    > Xflop360
    > Xflop720
    > Xflop360


    You've become Bligmerk. What little credibility you had is no gone. :(
    Hank the Rapper, Feb 17, 2006
    #8
  9. Radeon

    Blig Merk Guest

    Brenden D. Chase wrote:
    > I do agree with the AACS thing. Its probably that they want all their


    AACS was resolved Wednesday Feb. 15. It was just a finalization of
    specific parameters and was not really hardware related. The AACS
    agreement allows for the transfer of the master encryption key to the
    disk pressers. It is the Toshiba players that are going to require a
    firmware upgrade to catch up to the last minute changes. There are many
    other issues associated with AACS but they have very little to do with
    the PS3 schedule. Stand-alone HD movie players have to have AACS
    decryption in firmware since they are hardware players. The PS3 is a
    HD movie player through software. AACS=DRM. Remember what I said about
    how PS3 handles DRM? I didn't think so.
    Blig Merk, Feb 18, 2006
    #9
  10. Radeon

    Swam Mollen Guest

    Once more you write as if you know what you are talking about. THe
    annoncement at the beginning of the week that AACS has delayed the
    Blu-Ray and HD-DVD launches by a month still holds. Wether they
    resolved those problems a few days later matters little, if the delay
    caused a knock on month long hold, the that's what it did, regardless
    of what you are trying to disprove.

    ALl modern hardware for this kind of purpose contains flash-upgradeable
    hardware, and since HD-DVD has yet to hit the market too, it will
    easily be upgraded before hitting shelves.

    THe only difference between the PS3 and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray standalone
    players is that it uses software to decode, rather than dedicated DSPs.

    As for this 8th Cell used for DRM, I think you need to backtrack on
    that, since Sony, and Ars Technica have BOTH stated it is disabled.


    Blig Merk wrote:
    > Brenden D. Chase wrote:
    > > I do agree with the AACS thing. Its probably that they want all their

    >
    > AACS was resolved Wednesday Feb. 15. It was just a finalization of
    > specific parameters and was not really hardware related. The AACS
    > agreement allows for the transfer of the master encryption key to the
    > disk pressers. It is the Toshiba players that are going to require a
    > firmware upgrade to catch up to the last minute changes. There are many
    > other issues associated with AACS but they have very little to do with
    > the PS3 schedule. Stand-alone HD movie players have to have AACS
    > decryption in firmware since they are hardware players. The PS3 is a
    > HD movie player through software. AACS=DRM. Remember what I said about
    > how PS3 handles DRM? I didn't think so.
    Swam Mollen, Feb 18, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    152
    Guest
    Jun 3, 2005
  2. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    257
    Brenden D. Chase
    Jul 26, 2005
  3. AirRaid
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    253
    Brenden D. Chase
    Aug 8, 2006
  4. AirRaid Mach 2.5
    Replies:
    46
    Views:
    833
    Sammus McMouldenus
    Dec 30, 2006
  5. AirRaid Mach 2.5
    Replies:
    38
    Views:
    700
    Sammus McMouldenus
    Dec 30, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page