    What is the difference between setting antialiasing and anisotropic
    filtering on the nvidia control panel and letting the application decide?
    Why would I pick one over another?

    Anonymous, Dec 24, 2006

  2. Anonymous

    First of One Guest

    Two reasons:

    1. Most new games have in-game adjustment of AA and AF. Setting the control
    panel to "let the application decide" obviously is an easy way to have
    different AA and AF settings for each individual game, since some games are
    more demanding than others and can't be run smoothly at the highest AA
    settings. Of course, if the game doesn't offer in-game adjustment, then
    forcing the AA and AF level in control panel becomes your only choice.

    2. Some developers have games apply AA and AF only on select visual
    elements. For example, the HUD text may be left unfiltered so it doesn't
    become blurry. Some games like Doom 3 use offscreen textures to store game
    information. Applying a blanket AA routine to these textures doesn't improve
    image quality, but slows down the game. Using the in-game adjustment of AA
    and AF may result in higher performance in these games.

    In the end you just have more choices. An analogy would be volume control.
    Do you use the slider in Windows or the knob on your speaker? Why would you
    pick one over another?

    First of One, Dec 24, 2006

  3. Anonymous

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    First of One wrote:

    > In the end you just have more choices. An analogy would be volume control.
    > Do you use the slider in Windows or the knob on your speaker? Why would you
    > pick one over another?

    In lieu of what you just wrote, your analogy fails since a volume
    control will adjust the volume globally, identically, no matter which
    one you use, the windows slider, or the speaker slider.

    A more correct analogy would be "In game FSAA controls are to Driver
    Level FSAA controls as Frequency Band Equalization are to Tone Controls."

    In game levels of AA are almost always preferable since the application
    knows which textures and assets to manipulate for maximum effectiveness,
    much like just turning up just the 240Hz band, or the 1K band in audio,
    while a global AA setting will AA everything if it needs it or not, much
    like the "Treble" or "bass boost" controls.

    <shrug> Maybe it's like USEnet posting, in-game controls are like forum
    posts, and global AA is like crossposting. I'll stop now. :)

    Mr.E Solved!, Dec 24, 2006
  4. Anonymous

    First of One Guest

    Uuuhhh... okay whatever. Merry Christmas! :)

    First of One, Dec 24, 2006
  5. Anonymous

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Dec 25, 2006