    One last thing, does anyone have the Samsung 120hz monitor and the 3D Vision
    glasses yet??

    Thanks.

    timelord, Aug 26, 2009

  2. timelord

    smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 26, 6:07 pm, "timelord" <> wrote:
    > Can someone please tell me exactly what the PyhsX does. I know you need a
    > minimum spec card for this to work anyway and mine is the 9800GX2 card so
    > therefore that is compatible.
    > I did watch the demo on the Nvidia website but cannot see any changes to my
    > current games as a result.
    > Perhaps i am missing the point somewhere and someone may be able to clarify.
    >
    > One last thing, does anyone have the Samsung 120hz monitor and the 3D Vision
    > glasses yet??
    >
    > Thanks.

    In general, Physic "visuals" add more realistic "details" to the 3D
    applications, usually game. PhysX was an implementation from Ageia,
    which was purchased by nVidia. More details can be gotten from
    nVidia's web site.

    smlunatick, Aug 27, 2009

  3. timelord

    smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 28, 9:54 am, Rene <> wrote:
    > timelord wrote:
    > > Can someone please tell me exactly what the PyhsX does. I know you need
    > > a minimum spec card for this to work anyway and mine is the 9800GX2 card
    > > so therefore that is compatible.
    > > I did watch the demo on the Nvidia website but cannot see any changes to
    > > my current games as a result.
    > > Perhaps i am missing the point somewhere and someone may be able to
    > > clarify.

    > > One last thing, does anyone have the Samsung 120hz monitor and the 3D
    > > Vision glasses yet??

    > > Thanks.

    > If You would drop a stone to the floor or shoot it from a cannon, You
    > could calculate the trajectory if You know a couple of parameters like
    > gravity and mass of the object (simple Newtonian laws). PhysX does that
    > but very fast (a CPU can do that too) and for a great many particles in
    > parallel (this is what a GPU or dedicated PhysX processor can do much
    > faster than a CPU). So if You shoot at a barrel which then explodes, the
    > trajectories of all the fragments are calculated, these calculations can
    > be made for many more particles in parallel than the CPU could have done
    > (and apart from that, now the CPU has extra time for other stuff). So
    > scenes that show many particles that are moving will get prettier with
    > PhysX. I have no clue how common it is nowadays for games to support
    > PhysX but that is necessary, perhaps the games You have tried do not
    > support PhysX.
    >
    > Yours sincerely,
    > Rene

    PhysX compatible games are starting to appear this year. I know of
    several already out:

    Mirror's Edge
    Terminator Salvation
    Cal of Duty: World at War
    Crazy Machines II

    You do not "really" see much different. However, Crazy Machines does
    have a complete section dedicated to PhysX.

    Look on www.nzone.com for more games coming out.

    smlunatick, Aug 28, 2009
  4. timelord

    smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 28, 3:28 pm, Rene <> wrote:
    > smlunatick wrote:
    > >> If You would drop a stone to the floor or shoot it from a cannon, You
    > >> could calculate the trajectory if You know a couple of parameters like
    > >> gravity and mass of the object (simple Newtonian laws). PhysX does that
    > >> but very fast (a CPU can do that too) and for a great many particles in
    > >> parallel (this is what a GPU or dedicated PhysX processor can do much
    > >> faster than a CPU). So if You shoot at a barrel which then explodes, the
    > >> trajectories of all the fragments are calculated, these calculations can
    > >> be made for many more particles in parallel than the CPU could have done
    > >> (and apart from that, now the CPU has extra time for other stuff). So
    > >> scenes that show many particles that are moving will get prettier with
    > >> PhysX. I have no clue how common it is nowadays for games to support
    > >> PhysX but that is necessary, perhaps the games You have tried do not
    > >> support PhysX.

    > >> Yours sincerely,
    > >> Rene

    > > PhysX compatible games are starting to appear this year.  I know of
    > > several already out:

    > > Mirror's Edge
    > > Terminator Salvation
    > > Cal of Duty: World at War
    > > Crazy Machines II

    > > You do not "really" see much different.  However, Crazy Machines does
    > > have a complete section dedicated to PhysX.

    > > Look onwww.nzone.comfor more games coming out.

    > There are already many games available which support PhysX. Rail
    > simulator is one I know of myself (released october 2007). In that game,
    > stuff like smoke seems to be prettier with PhysX, but not that
    > impressing (that is what I have read, I have no personal experience). If
    > You look athttp://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html,
    > You'll see the games that already have come out. Before Nvidia started
    > supporting PhysX on their GPU's, there was already the Ageia PhysX card.
    > In fact, PhysX is just an SDK around an engine, not necessarily hardware
    > accelerated, it can be fully run on the CPU. But then it is very slow,
    > therefore first the special card came out and now GPU manufacturers are
    > setting their GPU's at work to do the same sort of calculations, as
    > GPU's have a very good architecture for this kind of things (many
    > parallel pipelines).
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Rene- Hide quoted text -

    As I previously stated Ageia was a company who came out with a
    separate PhysX processor card. Sometime later, nVidia bought the
    company and has been integrating PhysX into their CUDA system.

    smlunatick, Aug 29, 2009